Click Here to Login

Old 10 June 2016, 17:35   #41

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Now the engine is starting to loosen up David the fuel consumption improving making the cross over worth it.
See what you mean by kit not much space left.

Cheers
Old 10 June 2016, 19:21   #42

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
With that consumption David this could be the new must have SIB engine. Being in the situation of always wanting a little more than the 15 will give and therefore buying a 25 to trial alongside my 15 and with my 15 only averaging 1.8 NM's/l (goodness knows how much the 25 will guzzle) and with the 25 being 50 odd kg then the Suz is a great compromise.
Old 11 June 2016, 10:17   #43

RIBase
Reading all this and having my own expearence with my 25 Suzuki I think the 20 and the aerotec is about as good as it gets for performance , portability & fuel consumption .
Old 11 June 2016, 11:44   #44

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>about as good as it gets for performance , portability & fuel consumption.

Certainly for our current use Jeff.

I've grown to appreciate the slight eco advantages of a 4-stroke and very much appreciate the flexibility of offloading unused fuel into the cars so I'm always running on fresh.

But having said that if I was mostly one up or self plus single crew up to 10st my Mercury 15 2-stroke made for a great lively combo too. There was something very right about that setup looks and performance wise.

On our usual days out there is little time for experimentation but in August when we are based yards from a slip for two weeks it will be interesting to try different weight/crew combos with my 10/11" prop alternatives.

Also Chipko commented the other day (same outfit as mine) even if the Suzuki 20 is pretty well splash free with a minimal transom block the AV plate is still too deep in the water for best efficiency when on the plane... so that's something I will look at while on holiday.
Old 11 June 2016, 12:05   #45

RIBase
That's the beauty of two weeks away you should get it bang on.

I think I was lucky with my set up I stuck the engine straight on the transom cav plate in line with the keel on the transom but just above the keel when its blown up two inches toward the bow if that makes sense it kind of steps up an inch to the transom and up to now I think I am getting 22 kts as a WOT speed as a norm that's plenty for me and it's got to be like glass for that speed. Fuel wise I've not done any real trials but up at ERR 3 days and 7 hours of running for 25 l of fuel.
Prop tests next time out for a spare prop.
Cheers
Old 27 June 2016, 10:20   #46

At last... run in with 10:18 hrs recorded.

Another 15Nm on Friday with brilliant dry weather but challenging** conditions after lunch for the return trip.

Fuel overall 0.35l/Nm. First leg 7Nm on the plane at an economical 16kts cruise. Return leg an exceptionally difficult 8Nm on and off the throttle every few seconds from 8-13kts.

So as an average that seems a reasonable consumption. Glad I bought the larger 25l tank as using the thirds rule it will give us a safe range of around 50Nm.

With a combination of being run in, changing from 11" to 10" pitch prop and using premium unleaded the motor seems a fair bit smoother than on our first trip out. You could say it's just me getting familiar with it but I don't think so.... I think there's a real improvement.

As our next major outing is two weeks near daily use in Scotland in about 5wks my choice will be to take it early for its first 20hr service now its topped 10hrs. So I'll soon be able to report where my guy ends up on pricing.

**The return conditions from our lunch destination really were very difficult... after heading out for about 10mins I started to consider going back in and taking a 40min taxi ride to collect the car and recovering at the lunch spot.... but then I thought of the taxi cost and extra slip fee being about £50... as long as we were safe we had to battle the conditions to save that. My concern was not comming to grief but badly frightening Mrs Fenlander and our daughter plus shaking up the dog. Thankfully Mrs F and dog were untroubled but daughter did start to feel seasick about halfway back... thankfully she held on OK!

An interesting experience.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tacho 10.18hrs.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	114105   Click image for larger version

Name:	DF20A run in.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	114107  
Old 27 June 2016, 10:33   #47

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Very jealous of your consumption - our trip Saturday was 24nm, mostly full on wave jumping or WOT, consumption 1.9nm litre. I know you post yours the other way (how many litres it takes you to do a nm) which I can't get my head round...
Old 27 June 2016, 10:48   #48

>>> I know you post yours the other way (how many litres it takes you to do a nm) which I can't get my head round...

It's just how Suzuki published their consumption test results and I've taken it on board. But I guess the important comparison is that with our 25l tanks you'd have a safe range on the thirds rule of about 32Nm to our 50Nm.

Just as a matter of interest I'm getting the consumption pretty accurate by weighing the tank before/after.

>>> mostly full on wave jumping

With two heavier adults plus teen, dog, too much kit and heavier outboard we don't so much wave jump but part them! However on the three or four occasions when I reckon there was pretty much just the transom and prop in the water there is little danger of being blown over backwards with our load... but the landing moves a lot of water!

The conditions would have been huge fun if out with just one like minded fearless crew... but wife/daughter/dog does concentrate the mind a bit.
Old 27 June 2016, 11:07   #49

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Suzuki DF20AS EFI - Impressions and review.

Glad to hear you've run in the Suzuki and consumption sounds good.
Not sure what LPM we get, but out this weekend we used slightly over 10l for a total actual engine run time of just under 6hrs (including15mins flushing in bucket). Time spent hooning around the bay solo trying raised transom heights, so lots of time near WOT and full throttle hole shots while hanging out over the transom.
Always amazed at fuel consumption on the Suzuki even when towing....the EFI seems to provide both great performance and economy.
Old 27 June 2016, 11:20   #50

Did you come to any conclusions re the ideal transom height for the Suzuki?
Old 27 June 2016, 11:46   #51

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Not fully conclusive yet but will post if I find the definitive height for our use/conditions.
Only tested solo this weekend and lightly loaded seems the worst condition for splash. Have been running 25mm riser as stock, now tried 50 and 65mm. No top speed gain (21knots) with any, splash is getting less with more height but not yet fully eliminated. Not suffering significant ventilation even at 65mm so may be room to go higher!
It's the disturbed water exit off the concave transom/v-floor edge curling up and inward hitting the lower leg. Very annoying but not causing performance issues.
Will keep you posted.
Old 27 June 2016, 12:17   #52

>>>now tried 50 and 65mm. No top speed gain (21knots) with any, splash is getting less with more height but not yet fully eliminated. Not suffering significant ventilation even at 65mm so may be room to go higher!

Thanks... may have to take my junior carpentry kit and a set of timber pieces on holiday.

>>>tested solo this weekend and lightly loaded seems the worst condition for splash.

That's the conclusion I'm coming to after our own experience and reading of others. Interestingly on our difficult return leg this Friday I moved our weight a little more to the stern than usual to get a little bow lift into waves. For the first time with the Suzuki I noticed more transom splash. And of course when solo even with a tiller extension you tend to be bow high so that all fits the pattern.

Seems splash is minimal when running level.
Old 20 July 2016, 16:32   #53

First 20hr service at dealers today, only 10hrs covered but wanted it checked before holiday.

Dealers... you gotta laugh. So when looking to buy this OB the dealer said the 20hr service was "not much work so about £45". When asking for a quote last week when I booked it in it was going to be "only £50 or £60". Actual bill for oils, seals, filter and labour was £79! Ok it's better than the near £200 quotes/bills mentioned in other threads but is it so hard to be straightforward?

Anyway no fault codes recorded and no issues reported so that keeps the warranty up through this first year. Going to think very hard about whether I have just one more dealer service at the end of this first year to keep the warranty through year two... or just self service from now on and take any warranty issues on the chin.
Old 20 July 2016, 17:14   #54

RIBase
Out of interest David what was the oils on yours like, mine were surprisingly dirty.
Looks like I have to find another dealer the one I used is selling to someone down south bit of a bummer.

Cheers
Old 20 July 2016, 18:21   #55

I didn't see the drained oils at this service Jeff but on the dipstick yesterday the engine oil was still as new golden. No idea about the gearbox oil.
Old 14 July 2018, 07:57   #56

Well the Suzuki 20Efi has been a brilliant engine for the past two years with plenty of power to work the waves in difficult conditions and a most economical cruise as well as ultra reliable first time starting (apart from the time we got some contaminated fuel).

However right at the start of this review I commented...

***At 60yrs old this summer I've started to look after my back a little more and will only take the weight of this motor for a few seconds a time between car/trolley/SIB. Doing this the 44kg over the 36kg of my Mercury 15 2-stroke is OK... but would be noticeable if carrying for longer distances***

Well at 62 now with a slightly more creaky back and Mrs F less able to assist with longer lifts I realised the weight and bulk of the Suzuki was impacting on the pleasure of using the outfit in our normal daily inflate scenario.

As mentioned elsewhere recently a trailed boat is out of the question currently due to storage issues so downsizing the motor for our next period of use was the way to go.

The Suzuki has gone now in favour of a new Mariner 9.9hp 4-stroke. On paper its 15lbs or so less weight might not seem a worthwhile reduction but added to the far smaller bulk of the hood and lower casing plus easier places to grip it's like chalk and cheese... I can manage it easily... in truth much like a 2-stroke Mercury/Mariner 15hp.... which of course I had before the Suzuki... ho hum...
Old 14 July 2018, 11:34   #57

Town: Horley
Make: Yamaha 3.1 STI
Engine: 9.8 Tohatsu 2 stroke
Wishing you all the best with your new outboard choice, I’m on the fence myself on whether to stick on a 2 stroke or move to a 4
Old 14 July 2018, 12:27   #58

When we had the Mercury 15 2-stroke we wouldn't have changed it just to go to 4-stroke but we had a greater regular load then so together with the need for a 20 and a wish to experience the new Efi tech it all made a rounded decision.

But having gone to 4-stroke with the Suzuki some of the small advantages seen over the past two years have combined to make it an easy decision to stick with 4-stroke on this change.
Old 10 September 2018, 18:29   #59

Town: York
Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
Engine: 15hp Mariner 2stroke
Hi Fenlander

What is the splashing like with your Mariner 9.9?

I have an aerotec which originally had a Honda 20hp which swamped the boat even with a 25mm block so I sold that engine. There's only me (64kg) and my 7 years old son so a fairly light load to push along.

I've replaced it with a 15hp Mariner 2 Stroke (not yet tested on the boat) but I like the sound of the Suzuki from your review. Only problem is the new Mercury/Mariner 20hp looks so much cooler than other outboards but it would be a total waste of money if it splashes up like the Honda. I also have a fragile back and would need to lift it out of the car solo so the 15 makes a strong case (and would save me £1000!)

As an aside I used to have an aerotec + Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke 10 years ago and it have no splashing issues at all even with a standard transom - I didn't even realise they had issues until I went out with the Honda and got soaked!
Old 10 September 2018, 18:50   #60

Well you might see from my splash thread http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/aerotec...tml#post781881 that the Mariner 9.9 is worse than the Suzuki to the point I've been modding the transom height. My experience...

Mercury/Mariner 15hp 2-stroke: Splashed over the OB cowl and sometimes over the transom but cured to an acceptable degree with a modest shim around 20mm.

Suzuki DF20A 4-stroke: Happened to leave the 20mm shim on and there was almost no splash over the OB cowl or transom.. but a messy looking wake.

Mariner 9.9 4-stroke: 20mm shim left on. Lots of splash over the OB leg and cowl but no problem with it coming in the boat.

If your back is fragile then I'd stick to the 15hp 2-stroke. It was my back that prompted the change away from the Suzuki 20.