Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 22 March 2016, 21:52   #1

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Suzuki DF20AS EFI - Impressions and review.

It's seemed a while but actually only 4wks from order to my collection today... but very pleased to see this at last...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boxed.jpg
Views:	762
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	111407  
Old 22 March 2016, 21:57   #2

Thought I'd start a new thread on initial impressions and then an on the water review as times goes. It'll be warts and all... I'm sure there will be at least some warts.

In the meantime a really chunky handbook that looked a week of reading turned out to be 13 languages so just 54 pages for me.

The toolkit reminded me of what my dad called the lead tools that came with my Honda 125 bike in the 70s. Nice to see it has a "don't need the engine running" flush plug with a hose adaptor supplied... my first outboard with this useful feature.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Manual.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	111408   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tools.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	111409  
Old 22 March 2016, 22:08   #3

Initial impressions loading in/out of the car and onto our trolley is..... manageable. At 60yrs old this summer I've started to look after my back a little more and will only take the weight of this motor for a few seconds a time between car/trolley/SIB. Doing this the 44kg over the 36kg of my Mercury 15 2-stroke is OK... but would be noticeable if carrying for longer distances. There are less strong & angular places to lift/hold the Suzuki as there is a lot of ABS plastic fairing at the top of the leg so you have to be doubly sure it doesn't slip from your hands.

Looking at one image you might think I've been missold a 15hp. On collection my 20hp had a 2" crack in the cowl and the dealer offered to swap it for a perfect one on a 15hp in the shop then post on a 20hp sticker for me. These things happen... no big deal.

One thing I noticed clamping it to my existing trolley... the clamp screws are short compared with the Mercury so wouldn't clamp to the trolley timber and an extra pad was needed. I wonder if this would be an issue with a thin transom like the Zodiac Cadet/Fastroller range so needing a thicker pad on the boat?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DF20AS.jpg
Views:	817
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	111410   Click image for larger version

Name:	15HP !.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	111411  
Old 22 March 2016, 22:20   #4

Last pics for tonight... of under the hood... quite Japanese car like and all laid out in a logical way.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Underhood1.jpg
Views:	560
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	111415   Click image for larger version

Name:	UNderhood2.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	111416  
Old 22 March 2016, 23:54   #5

Couple of snippets...

I see in the handbook it says when transporting the engine as well as laying it on the correct side you should drain the petrol from the "fuel vapour separator" with the hose already fitted for that purpose. Anyone bother to do this?

Pleased to see the dealer has swapped the 12" pitch prop this motor came with to the 11" I requested. I always buy a spare prop so will see once run in if the 11" is perfect to decide on another the same vs pitching down to 10" for heavier loads.

Might give it a couple of laps round the garden tub tomorrow to hear it running and do the initial 15min idle speed break in procedure...
Old 23 March 2016, 08:13   #6

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Couple of snippets...

I see in the handbook it says when transporting the engine as well as laying it on the correct side you should drain the petrol from the "fuel vapour separator" with the hose already fitted for that purpose. Anyone bother to do this?

Pleased to see the dealer has swapped the 12" pitch prop this motor came with to the 11" I requested. I always buy a spare prop so will see once run in if the 11" is perfect to decide on another the same vs pitching down to 10" for heavier loads.

Might give it a couple of laps round the garden tub tomorrow to hear it running and do the initial 15min idle speed break in procedure...
looking good David

i didn't drain mine when transporting from Portsmouth but i would lay her down on some cardboard just to make sure before you put her in your car.

transom wise i didn't need any extra packing the screws are well up though
might be some difference between the two engines though
cheers
Old 23 March 2016, 09:13   #7

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
It's a big move for you David after all those years of 2-smokes, will be really interested to see what you think once it is run in.

I crave more power sometimes, might just get a cheap 25 or 30 (I know... ) if I can to try one sometimes alongside the 15.
Old 23 March 2016, 10:37   #8

>>>It's a big move for you... be really interested to see what you think once it is run in.

Yep you're right Max... from possibility to reality has moved forward smoothly... but the proof will be in use on the water.

I'm very lucky in having a supportive Mrs Fenlander. I was commenting to the buyer of the Mercury 15hp that I was just perusing some threads and the Suzuki website about this 20hp some weeks back commenting to her as she looked at the screen "Suzuki have done well, they've got the 20hp down to a manageble weight"... and she said "Well let's get one then".

I did a bit of fake "it's fine...we're OK with the old 15hp" for a very short while not wanting to take advantage but soon gave in... ha ha!

>>>I crave more power sometimes, might just get a cheap 25 or 30...

After our holiday trials last year which cemented the Aerotec decision I did wonder similar... a clean 25hp short shaft 2-stroke will often fetch less than a 15hp which made the finances doable. But then by chance the Suzuki idea somewhat overtook that thought.
Old 23 March 2016, 11:00   #9

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Looking forward to hear about your outboard investment Fenlander. I took a leaf out your book and bought a new boat to supplement my retirement fleet.. should last me a lifetime and will supplement the Quicksilver 4.3 nicely. I might think about an outboard later in the season too.
Old 23 March 2016, 11:56   #10

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Quote:

>>>I crave more power sometimes, might just get a cheap 25 or 30...

After our holiday trials last year which cemented the Aerotec decision I did wonder similar... a clean 25hp short shaft 2-stroke will often fetch less than a 15hp which made the finances doable. But then by chance the Suzuki idea somewhat overtook that thought.
Yes, that's the thing - a 25 or 30 can be picked up pretty cheap and it would be useful for the times we use a slipway where weight is no bother (compared to the south coast short, sharp, shingle beaches).

I know they are rated to 25 but 30 would be more fun...
Old 23 March 2016, 16:18   #11

Well I've taken it on a voyage round the garden tub so some more impressions...

Really odd not to have a choke any more. The Mercury was... wind the fast idle knob round, pull out the choke a few times to operate primer and leave out. On the Suzuki you ... well... just pull it over.

The pull is heavier than the old Mercury and I'd not complain if it eases off as the engine runs in. I thought they had a decompression function... I must check this out. Starting though is instant and of course no need to wait for the right time to push a choke in... it sits at 850rpm idle in or out of gear hot or cold all controlled by the ECU.

Despite being totally familiar with the Mercury/Mariner intermittant coolant tell-tale it's nice to see a powerful jet of water projected a couple of meters to the rear in a muted jetski fashion.

I carried out the initial 15mins idle speed running in using neutral/fwd/rev and the occasional throttle blip.... can't do more until we hit the sea.

Most impressive feature... the lack of noise. Idling just outside the dining room window you can't hear it at all and that's never been the case with any outboard we've owned before. Also I've never minded 2-stroke smoke but a totally clean exhaust is a novelty.

The gearchange is on a paddle at the front and that's a first for me too. It seems after this initial experience it may be my preferred position but it's a little exposed to damage and only made of plastic.

And actually that's a theme you have to accept. If as an old timer a main perception of quality is weight and strength of components then compared to a mid 2000s Mariner/Mercury/Yamaha etc then this feels lower quality. However I looked at a Honda alongside these Suzukis in the dealer before deciding and seems it's the way modern 4-strokes are going to keep weight down.

But so far so good.

Note that tach is only on the hood with Bluetac!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Day 2.jpg
Views:	639
Size:	211.9 KB
ID:	111450   Click image for larger version

Name:	Day 2a.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	193.3 KB
ID:	111451   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tacho mounted on Suzuki.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	111452  
Old 23 March 2016, 17:38   #12

Ahh it does have a decompression system but there's a knack to it as I've read in other tests.

You pull the rope out a few inches until it feels heavy and resists... then release and pull again to start when the decompression kicks in.
Old 23 March 2016, 18:50   #13

RIBase
Sorry to hijack a bit but re Suzuki service charges for info 20 hour or first year same price £65+vat oil & filter included ribquest Chesterfield takes an hour to do.

Cheers
Old 23 March 2016, 19:05   #14

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
Sorry to hijack a bit but re Suzuki service charges for info 20 hour or first year same price £65+vat oil & filter included ribquest Chesterfield takes an hour to do.

Cheers

That sounds more like it👍
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2016, 07:45   #15

Town: Cambridge
Boat name: SIBylle
Make: Honda Honwave
Engine: Honda BF20
MMSI: 235915576
Well that new motor certainly looks and sounds the part. I'd be tempted to leave the 15hp markings and next time you're out you'll leave the other "15hp" boy racers behind ;-)

I've already got engine envy, what do you mean you don't have to mess around with a choke ?!?!? ;-)
Old 24 March 2016, 07:55   #16

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
That sounds more like it👍
yes Dave girl in the office got it wrong i will get some more info re service costs when i go over for different engine sizes and post for info. the £247 was for a full blown service in the scheme of things not a bad price.

cheers
Old 24 March 2016, 10:21   #17

>>> be tempted to leave the 15hp markings

Not possible... I'm a bit OCD and it'll bring me out in spots!

Question about your Honda. I mentioned the Suzuki start decompression earlier... yours has it too... how does it work... just easy to pull all the time or do you have to "cock" it somehow?

Re next running in we have Easter Sat/Sun/Mon free and seems it will be raining and windy all the time. Hope it's not another year like 2015.

Tomorrow looks perfect though... and as of now it's not a day we can go... typical.
Old 24 March 2016, 10:56   #18

Quote:
>>> Question about your Honda. I mentioned the Suzuki start decompression earlier... yours has it too... how does it work... just easy to pull all the time or do you have to "cock" it somehow?

Not that I have another outboard to compare to but it has always been very very easy on the arm to pull start and so far I have not ever noticed the arm jarring resistance sometimes experienced on my chainsaw if I'm being a bit aggressive with it and have the piston in the wrong place when starting. I guess it feels no different to getting the pistons in the right position for an easy pull every time. All I do (by instruction manual) is pull the chord gently until I get resistance and then give it the sharp pull over... Simples...

Still got choke envy...

Easter Monday I could do if I was very brave (gusts of 52kts/swell 3.8m) possibly Tuesday too... Tides look doable for a lunchtime launch, depends if that wind/rain arrives early or late...
Old 24 March 2016, 21:32   #19

>>>>Still got choke envy...

Well yes but if the Suzuki doesn't start at the slip in front onlookers there's nothing to have a meaningful fiddle with... perhaps a false choke knob may be needed.

Just so we don't creep out without saying... I've loaded the car and we're all fuelled up... in case we can move family stuff round to catch the supposedly decent day tomorrow.

It's interesting every small bit of weight or size increase in this sibbing game makes a big difference when travelling the kit. The Suzuki with its large powerhead/hood is just too tall to go between the loadspace sides (the Mercury 15 did easily) so it has to remain at an awkward angle. Also the tiller arm is long and doesn't fold right back so that has to remain sticking out. This all means the previous "boat in first with outboard behind half on side half on back at the rear of the loadspace" doesn't work.

I've packed all the gear around the outboard and now the Aerotec goes on top just fitting in. It's the tightest pack of any outfit so far.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Suzuki in car.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	111475   Click image for larger version

Name:	Suzuki packed in.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	111477   Click image for larger version

Name:	Suzuki Aerotec on top.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	111478  
Old 25 March 2016, 14:42   #20

Well Fenlander, I hope you made it out today... what a stunner of a day for it!

You know I've not actually tried putting all my gear in the car boot, and to be honest I think it won't all fit without at least 1 of the rear seats folded. We have a Passat estate but due to awkward cowl shapes, tiller arms and sizeable honwave I think it will be a struggle. Maybe that's a game for the easter break...