Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Mercury
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
MMSI: 235074042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
As you say duggie it's not an exact science given varying use... but the makers have to give what they regard as failsafe timescales to protect themselves and their warranty.

I wanted to do this first service by the book so I was 100% sure of everything but will use common sense in following years. Having said that I will probably always change the engine and gear oils yearly as they are cheap "insurance".

The other thing I'll not skimp on is the timing belt change at 4yrs as rubber items can suffer age related failure regardless of hours run. Having one snap is a breakdown which I'd seek to avoid at sea... and on some engines when it snaps there can be expensive valve/rocker damage.
What puller did you use David or did you not pull the flywheel?

When I was down central marine services they said they were snowed out with work as they are getting lads from north wales going to them so for me Suzuki need to address the lack of service agents and update their list especially in my area.

Old 09 April 2017, 13:08   #22

Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mariner 9.9 4-stroke
No need to pull the flywheel just to check the timing belt Jeff... but you do need to do so to change it. Haven't had a look yet but I've loads of things that would probably do with minimal mods having previously spent 20yrs with farm equipment and trad Land Rovers to mend.

Old 09 April 2017, 14:51   #23

Quote:
No need to pull the flywheel just to check the timing belt Jeff... but you do need to do so to change it. Haven't had a look yet but I've loads of things that would probably do with minimal mods having previously spent 20yrs with farm equipment and trad Land Rovers to mend.
Any tips on which puller will be suitable cheers
Old 09 April 2017, 15:20   #24

You need two tools... one that will bolt to the tappings in the flywheel that has a lever off the side to hold against the force of undoing the nut. The other a puller of some sort that can bolt to the flywheel and draw it off with a central bolt.

In my case the first will be an adapted VW 1.4 flywheel holder I have and the puller may well be an old Metro clutch removal puller I also have modded to fit.

If my old puller doesn't suit I reckon this might well do the job...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-PRO-HA...cAAMXQAEFSHeJS

Images of the proper tools for guidance...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Flywheel tools.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	118904  
Old 10 April 2017, 01:45   #25

Quote:
You need two tools... one that will bolt to the tappings in the flywheel that has a lever off the side to hold against the force of undoing the nut. The other a puller of some sort that can bolt to the flywheel and draw it off with a central bolt.

In my case the first will be an adapted VW 1.4 flywheel holder I have and the puller may well be an old Metro clutch removal puller I also have modded to fit.

If my old puller doesn't suit I reckon this might well do the job...

NEW PRO HARMONIC FLYWHEEL BALANCE PULLER KIT - 13 PIECE | eBay

Images of the proper tools for guidance...
thanks david ordered one off ebay cheers
Old 10 April 2017, 08:25   #26

Last jobs today to complete a yearly by the book service...

Get it in the test bucket** to check no fuel or oil leaks after service works.

Check the idle speed on the "Tiny tach"... it's fixed by the ECU of course.

Check the ign timing at (5deg BTDC 1000rpm)... again fixed by the ECU so really just another basic check the ECU is OK.

Reset the oil indicator lamp. This is done while the engine is idling by pushing the stop button 3 times within 3 sec for a fraction of a second each time but not enough to make the engine stop.

Finally just the lower cowls and hood to refit.... plus service book to complete with details of work done.

**Note my new yellow flexy bucket. Saw this in Homebase today for under £4 and it's the first I've found that will squeeze in between the legs of the engine trolley but still hold a decent amount of water.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New bucket.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	208.6 KB
ID:	118913   Click image for larger version

Name:	Idle speed.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	118914   Click image for larger version

Name:	Timing check light.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	174.9 KB
ID:	118915  
Old 13 June 2017, 14:27   #27

Town: Tromsø
Boat name: The boat
Make: River 350
Engine: DF9.9BS
Wery impressed by your informative thread Fenlander

Just bought my own motor, and having not to many good experiences with service shops... mostly they are sloppy. So i too might do my own service.

Posts like this really come in handy. Thanx again
Old 23 December 2017, 09:48   #28

Town: Ardrossan
Boat name: Destination Anywhere
Make: AB Lammina 10al
Engine: Suzuki DF20/DF2.5
Thanks

Hi,
I just wanted to add a word of thanks. We have a DF20a which is paired with an AB rib for use as a yacht tender. We’re just starting a circumnavigation and each year we will be in a different country and therefore getting a stamped Service book is difficult. I was therefore looking to do my own servicing so your post helps a lot. Couple of questions if I may?

Where did you order your parts from and do you have part numbers please?

My engine is just coming up to 20hrs and needs its first service. In my position would you do this yourself also (I have the service manual) or is there some reason to get a dealer to do it?

I also have a question about prop pitch which others may be able to jump in on. According to the Rev counter I’ve attached the engine isn’t revving up to 3000rpm at wot, and the rib won’t plane with more than two people in it. With one or two up it does and the acceleration is excellent. How do I work out if I need a courser or less course pitch and how do I measure the one that was supplied with the engine?

Many thanks in advance
Old 23 December 2017, 12:48   #29

Pitch and diameter are printed on the prop back of one blade search fenlanders threads when he bought the engine he went down in pitch for his boat but you are centantly over pitched if the diameter is right
Old 23 December 2017, 15:24   #30

I ordered the basic service kit from Suzuki on Ebay which was a standard listing at the time. I had to ask them to add the rocker gasket specially for me. I will look the part numbers up later when I've had seconds of a Chinese takeaway!

DIY or dealer is a personal choice. It means you need to be prepared to forgo the extended warranty but you still have sale of goods protection. I worked out the large cost of 5yrs servicing plus the trouble of time and mileage to get to the dealers to/fro each year and worked out DIY and "self insuring" the warranty was my choice.

Re prop pitch as Jeff says look at the prop and report back... mine came with a over pitched 12" one fitted but I refused to accept it and opted for an 11" which was still too much and now my outfit is spot on with a 10".

Tags
suzuki