Old 10 July 2009, 01:42   #1

Make: ribcraft 7.85
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250 yam
suzuki 2 stroke problem??

have a suzuki 2 stroke on a rib, runs great but won't rev out and beeps every 8 sec's on controls ?any ideas? its pumping and not over heating???, there's no dealer in west of ireland???
Old 10 July 2009, 02:17   #2

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Could be the oil sender or low oil.

Nasher is the man to ask!!!
Old 10 July 2009, 07:53   #3

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
Originally Posted by ribdraft View Post
have a suzuki 2 stroke on a rib,
Can you be a bit more specific - HP, year etc?

On a higher level, if you get a constant & repeatable beep from the remotes, somewhere in the manual it will tell you what that partcular "morse code" signifies. Once every 8 seconds sounds sufficiently r"elaxed" to be a low oil warning. I forget what my old 25's beep signal was for low oil - I kept the tank topped up and so only ever tripped it once in all the time It was pushing the rib along.......
Old 10 July 2009, 10:39   #4

sorry, i think its 1998 99, i;ll check later, its a 55hp, oil level is fine, so matbe senser is the problem? can it be bypassed to check? thanks for any help
Old 10 July 2009, 11:41   #5

I'm going from memory here, but i think the 25 (early 90s vintage) was fail safe i.e disconnecting it would be the equivalent of "no oil" so it shut the engine down. Easiest way to check is probably disconnect it, pull it out the tank, reconnect, then start with the float at the top of the slider, then slide it down manually & see what happens. Again from memory you should get the intermittent beep aboput an inch or so form the bottom, then a constant beep at the bottom.

If I get time later I'll have a look at Brownspoint & double check you have the same float switch as I had!

I suppose a visual check might be is the float floating? (that of course depends how opaque your tank wall is!), but if you pul lthe sensor up gently you should be able to see tit on the surface of the oil.
Old 10 July 2009, 13:17   #6

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
DT55 has an oil filter gauze with an inbuilt flow sensor. If/when the gauze blocks up, the flow is impeded and a little diaphragm activates the warning sensor/switch. They're a common problem on oil injected Soozooks, but simple to replace. Just follow the oil line from the base of the tank and you'll find it. They can be cleaned, but the diaphragms inside the unit are also problematic and can activate the warning, despite the oil flow being ok.

OR,
it could be your oil level sensor or water level/temp. sensor. Do you have the Suzuki oil level/monitor gauge connected? If so, is it showing any warning lights?
Old 24 July 2009, 17:24   #7

cleaned out 2 stroke oil sensor, was very dirty but still beepin, seems i'm not only one with this problem, reading the other thread decided maybe its same ,it could be over heatin or water pressure , so there is black wire coming off wht i think is termostate on back off engine, it goes to black box , where sparg plug leads goes, opened that and unpluged it while checkin all connections and alarm stopped?? took it out but engine still losing power . thats as far as i got, it rev's out for min then cuts out, FOR SALE , SUZUKI 55, RUNS GREAT, JUST DON'T REV IT!!!!! hahaha, thanks for all help so far, i'll be watching other thead ,
Old 27 July 2009, 08:13   #8

Does it have a throttle angle sensor? (will be on the middle carb on the opposite end of the shaft to the lnkage) I had mine (on a DT25) die, the symptoms being it revved OK for 20s, gave a warning hesitation, then at 56 seconds after opening throttle, it dropped to "limp home" mode. It would idle all day without batting an eyelid. Absolutely repeatable, regardless of what I did before opening it up. No buzzer but the CDI may have had a different set of alarms programmed in.

So, if you don't have a clymer, a digital multimeter & a 9V battery, go buy yourself the 9v battery & the multimeter (digital easier) and I'll post the test instructions. If you have the manual, just follow the instructions in it. Turns out my sensor was showing "closed throttle" no matter what angle the throttle was at.

The good news is that the test proved the sensor was gubbed. The bad news - replacement is £140.......
Old 28 July 2009, 00:40   #9

Boat name: Bullfrog
Make: DSB - Osprey
Engine: Outboard, Petrol, 55
I see that there's another DT55 owner in similar trouble as me

Like you I started with the oil flow sensor and have systematically checked all the sensors. Do you have a Suzuki Service Manual? If not drop me a mail or PM and I can scan the pages that explain how to verify the functionality of each sensor, they're all very simple all you need is a multimeter.

I also found this website that may help:-
http://forums.iboats.com/Suzuki-Outboards/1998
It's a forum on these Suzuki motors.
Old 20 July 2020, 17:57   #10

Town: Truro
Length: 4m +
Hi guys and girls does anyone have a manual covering a 1998 Suzuki dt55 outboard?
Many thanks in advance
Old 20 July 2020, 19:48   #11

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aronwal View Post
Hi guys and girls does anyone have a manual covering a 1998 Suzuki dt55 outboard?
Many thanks in advance
You've just resurrected an 11 year old thread!

Boats.net is a pretty good resource for diagrams here: https://www.boats.net/catalog/suzuki...n-05501-751001

Or Ebay for service manual: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/94-97-Suz...MAAOSwpDdVX0cj

You may get the actual owner's manual on Scribd if someone has saved a copy there.