Old 28 May 2005, 15:56   #1

Town: Dublin
Boat name: wizzard
Make: REDBAY
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 optimax
Smart Guages Software Glitch

Has anyone come across this, Fuel used losing its last trip information .

I can put it down to two possible causes, once I put our Opti from foreward to reverse to quickly, engine emm stepped in and done an emergency stop, no harm done but we lost our fuel used for that trip information,
Secondly involves docking foreward, reverse etc and whilst boat is in gear pull out kill chord, again fuel used info lost for that trip.

Both involved stops with either engine system diagnostics or kill chord, and while motor was not in netural as far as I can tell, anyone else found this cheers

WHEN THE CAT IS AWAY THE MICE GO TO REDBAY..............
gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2005, 16:42   #2

Town: HERNE BAY
Boat name: Coastalbuzz
Make: Brill Ribcraft
Engine: 250suzuki/6/5/5
MMSI: tba
software glitch

on Friday I launched the boat solo, to do so involves either a wet landy or a lot of reverse thrust so I go with that.
My engines did this fine but the starboard one which hosts the bus information shut down and had to be restarted.
I put it down to poor throttle /driver skills as it wwas the first time it has occurred but it was more than likely the system saying too much rpm.
Anyhow all data (all 1 minute of it was lost) by the shut down.

this is the only glitch we have found.
mike (twin 150 optimax installation)
Old 28 May 2005, 17:40   #3

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
I had a similar problem loosing fuel used information somewhere between alderney and the solent via brixham which was a real pain!

I've never recreated this problem, although i did report it to Barrus technical who claimed never to have heard of this before. I was quite frightened when i founf out i only had 10li left when i got back up the itchen

I will try what you are saying gavin and report back.

My only thoughts at the time were the engine had been running for over 5 (maybe more) hours solid which i am not sure i had ever done before. I don't think i have since either.
Old 29 May 2005, 11:18   #4

Town: Dublin
Boat name: wizzard
Make: REDBAY
Engine: 225 optimax
The first time it happened, we were going allong full tilt, someone shouted lobster pots and I stopped, accidently shifting from netural to reverse , the emm saw too much revs and shut the engine down I think, and we lost fuel trip info, second time which was yesterday, we were docking, lots of foreward and reverseing, in 40 knts gusts and I remember using kill chord to stop rib, I am 99 % sure gear was engaged and then we lost trip info so I am putting it down to an emergency stop either via kill chord or an emm stop whilist motor is in gear

WHEN THE CAT IS AWAY THE MICE GO TO REDBAY..............
gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 June 2005, 21:39   #5

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
Fiddled around a bit this weekend trying to recreate this "gremlin" with no sucess - kill cord and stoping engine in gear. Of course i did not try the high speed into reverse experment.
Old 11 June 2005, 15:26   #6

Town: HERNE BAY
Boat name: Coastalbuzz
Make: Brill Ribcraft
Engine: 250suzuki/6/5/5
MMSI: tba
variation but not the same!

Hi it's happended again!!

doing a beach drop off (at tickover) and went to reverse whereupon the port engine stopped. The boat then did a rapid swing with the breakers and ended dragging skegs into sand. 8.5 metres and 2and a half tons against the wave is hard to reverse against the breakers so we had to go forward asap, sadly the impellor sucked sand and we lost flow on the same port engine.

since this is the second time the problem has occurred and on the first we scratched the prop on this one we have done more I am going to ask Mercury to replace the props as the damage resulted from a failure under the guarantee period. Failing that does anyone know where I can get two laser II 19" pitch props ?????