Old 09 June 2005, 20:35   #1

Town: York
Boat name: Hi Flyer
Make: Humber - Ocean Pro
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 140hp
MMSI: 235033234
Propeller Choice?

To go with my plea for advice on engines can anyone help on this one? In middle of buying my first RIB. Need to make decisions on engine soon. Chap today suggested might be worth having a duo prop. Anyone out there have any experience of these on a RIB. I think they can be fitted to the Yamaha outboards. Is it worth the cost if I do go with this engine to have one fitted? Can they be fitted to either Suzuki or Evinrude E-tec? Read a couple of threads on this and sounds like might help on fuel economy and performance. Any advice gratefully received.
Old 09 June 2005, 20:57   #2

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Pike
might be worth having a duo prop...
Hi Jeff,
Unfortunately I don't think duo-props can be fitted to any current outboards.

Yamaha used to do a duo-prop on one of the older V-Max motors but I think it's discontinued now.

AFAIK duo-props are now for inboards only - typically Mercruiser Bravo 3 and Volvo.
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 June 2005, 21:32   #3

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Generally the prop supplied with the engine is very suitable for it! Although the Suzi's come with Ali props which I am told tend to ventilate a little too easily.

If you really need to mess about with it then arrange with the people you bought the engine from to loan you with a size up and down from the standard and see which you prefer.

Alternatively speak to some experts, Julie from Steel Developments or there is an excellent company in Poole who's name escapes me!
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 June 2005, 22:16   #4

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Propeller Revolutions. http://www.proprevs.com/

Yeah, our Yamaha prop is excellent... our Solas prop is, err, disappointing!
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2005, 09:06   #5

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Pike
I think they can be fitted to the Yamaha outboards. Is it worth the cost if I do go with this engine to have one fitted? Any advice gratefully received.
The TRP Yamaha system you can fit it ONLY on a Yamaha engine. This is what I have been told. However, as the leg is shorter than a normal L Yamaha you need also the axle and you need the full unit. The TRP system is brilliant, is like putting a 4x4 on a boat and the Yamaha system was/is the most reliable. Now is discontinued but Yamaha still sells all the parts as well as the total system.

Here (UK and Europe) the prices are forbiding to buy such a system (just the props alone cost near to £1000 each).

HOWEVER, if you go foreign you can buy it in the US for less than half you pay anywhere else.

I highly recomend this chap EXTREAMLY RELIABLE

Ask him the question and will be able to help you out.

Also this chap Ray Neudecker [neudecray@hotmail.com] he is an engineer and he loves the TRP engines. He may also be able to point you to the right direction

Good luck
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2005, 10:01   #6

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Manos, what a good and helpful reply!

Old 10 June 2005, 11:26   #7

Make: Osprey
Engine: 250 HP E-Tec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manos
The TRP Yamaha system you can fit it ONLY on a Yamaha engine. This is what I have been told. However, as the leg is shorter than a normal L Yamaha you need also the axle and you need the full unit. The TRP system is brilliant, is like putting a 4x4 on a boat and the Yamaha system was/is the most reliable. Now is discontinued but Yamaha still sells all the parts as well as the total system.

Here (UK and Europe) the prices are forbiding to buy such a system (just the props alone cost near to £1000 each).

HOWEVER, if you go foreign you can buy it in the US for less than half you pay anywhere else.

I highly recomend this chap EXTREAMLY RELIABLE

Ask him the question and will be able to help you out.

Also this chap Ray Neudecker [neudecray@hotmail.com] he is an engineer and he loves the TRP engines. He may also be able to point you to the right direction

Good luck
Yamaha stopped making that system for 2 reasons: expensive and no demand.
But it proved to be very efficient, especially on ribs. If I’m correct they only made a version with 150 HP. But some people were able to make it run very well on 200HP outboards. If you are interested in one you could send a mail to info@bruggemarinecenter.com. I know they still have one or more 200 HP versions.
Old 10 June 2005, 12:07   #8

Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaharrier
But it proved to be very efficient, especially on ribs. If I’m correct they only made a version with 150 HP. But some people were able to make it run very well on 200HP outboards.
It ACTUALLY runs with the 200 I have one! But as I said you need the full leg including the shaft/rod that connects to the engine.

There is also a Yamaha 200TRP MDDI which is a 200 HPDI TRP duo prop it retails in Europe for 40-46000 Euro, in the US a lot cheaper than that.

For the new motor with the TRP prop from Europe CHECK HERE I think is SEAHARRIERS company

The market price for a used leg with the prop with the SS props that is availiable must be between to £1,000-1,500 (used but in extreamly good condition £1500 is the TOP TOP price you can pay). However you must be able to check that the seals are good (no leaks!), the gears in the gear box work and that it does not lose any gear oil. If is more than that get it form the US

Is different of course if all of it is brand new and you have a manufacturers wrrantee with it.
Old 10 June 2005, 13:27   #9

Make: Osprey
Engine: 250 HP E-Tec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manos
CHECK HERE I think is SEAHARRIERS company
Manos,

If only it was mine (that company owns Osprey) . I'm just a client there. And in there showroom they have a "custom made" 200 Yammie.
Old 11 June 2005, 07:05   #10

Was just joking
Jeff I also forgot to mention these guys in the US HYDROTEC MARINE they remanufacture and re-power Yamaha engines, they also sell new Yamaha engines and they are doing up and reapai racing Yamaha engines. All with geneuine Yamaha pars.
Old 12 June 2005, 05:33   #11

Town: York
Boat name: Hi Flyer
Make: Humber - Ocean Pro
Engine: Suzuki 140hp
MMSI: 235033234
Thanks for info

Just wanted to thank you all for helpful info, especially Manos & Seaharrier. Think this is one of those things that might come later. Cost high & choice limited. Looks like budget by time bought new boat, electronics, engine & all the usual bits & bobs is going to be too tight to stretch to this now. On the Xmas list!

Jeff