Old 30 March 2016, 22:20   #1

Town: cardiff
Length: no boat
new engine wont start

hi guys, just bought a tohatsu 9.8 2 stroke short shaft engine for my dinghy. when i was there the guy showed me how to start it up started 1st pull from cold and continued to do so afterwards. ive now taken it home in the car the prop was probably slightly higher than the head unit and there was a thick blue liquid around the top of the shaft. i have now stuck it in a tank and tried to start it but cannot. the fuel filter has fuel in it. have i flooded the engine? this is my first engine so im very new to this any advise would be helpful

thankyou
Old 30 March 2016, 22:33   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Do you mean you can't pull it over or it pulls over but doesn't fire?

If the former is it in gear? Also remove the spark plugs and make sure the cylinders aren't full of water or fuel mix.

If the latter is the kill cord in place correctly? Did you pump the primer and put the choke on?
Old 30 March 2016, 22:40   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Do you mean you can't pull it over or it pulls over but doesn't fire?

If the former is it in gear? Also remove the spark plugs and make sure the cylinders aren't full of water or fuel mix.

If the latter is the kill cord in place correctly? Did you pump the primer and put the choke on?
So from start to finish, I put into wheely bin with water in, connected the hose up and squeezed the bulb until firm, then put in neutral and pulled out choke, pulled it and it started up for 2 seconds then died. Squeezed again and carried on pulling and it hasn't started since.

Te fuel filter is full of fuel

Thanks
Old 30 March 2016, 23:05   #4

OK so kill cord firmly in position for sure?

Now it's probably choked so have you tried putting choke off... twisting throttle fully open and pulling over several times to clear. If this doesn't work take out the plugs and report on their condition... dry or wet with fuel.

I've owned one of these motors and seem to remember it was best to try and start with no choke then half choke to avoid flooding.

Also from another member's experience the jets and passages in the carb on this motor can be prone to gumming up.
Old 30 March 2016, 23:46   #5

Great news got it working thanks not sure if it just dried out after a few hours? One question when I forst started it up there was no tell tale water I noticed after 20 secs then started it up again and was fine is this normal?

Thanks
Old 31 March 2016, 07:44   #6

I'd say 20sec is rather a long time to wait for a tell tale... they take a few seconds but 20? However I haven't had this engine type for a few years so perhaps best answered by someone who's currently using one.
Old 31 March 2016, 07:55   #7
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishermanajcktb View Post
So from start to finish, I put into wheely bin with water in, connected the hose up and squeezed the bulb until firm, then put in neutral and pulled out choke, pulled it and it started up for 2 seconds then died. Squeezed again and carried on pulling and it hasn't started since.
I use one of those engines - lovely wee motor.

Not starting: From your description, you had too much choke. I've been caught too. If the ambient temps are 15C or thereabouts, at the VERY most use 1/2 choke for a "cold" start and none thereafter. Kill the choke as soon as it starts. Mine usually fires on the first pull - often after the winter!

Telltale: You absolutely should have a decent stream ALL the time, from startpup. Test again, ensure that the water in the barrel is at the same height on the leg that it would be if on a boat - well up. Use a bit of fine stimmer line to poke up the telltail - chances are it is clogged with grit and salt. Be aware that there are two places on this motor where "spent" cooling water is emitted - from the telltale on the starboard side of the motor (under the lower tray) and from directly astern, from an opening at the very top of the leg. The telltale should be a strong solid jet, the other a less discreet messy splashing (it gets warm after running a while).

HTH.
Old 31 March 2016, 10:55   #8

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Ribnet in all its glory. Experienced boaters happily spending time explaining the basics to those new to it. Refreshing compared to many threads on here and in other forums where long standing members either don't bother or take the piss!

Great engine choice by the way. You've either landed lucky first time or done your research. Plenty of threads on here re that engine. Enjoy.
Old 31 March 2016, 11:54   #9
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishermanajcktb View Post
If it starts and dies then put the choke all the way back in before pulling it again. This should help avoid the engine flooding.
Old 31 March 2016, 15:31   #10

thanks all for the replies it is now working well starting first pull and pumping water well (small blockage in pee hole. looking forward to taking it out on the water.
Old 31 March 2016, 17:56   #11

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
Refreshing compared to many threads on here and in other forums where long standing members either don't bother or take the piss!

Not really. In my experience, there has never been a new or newish member that has asked a sensible question and not received anything other than a friendly, sensible answer or well meant advice.

The piss take is only acceptable if it's a two way street and wouldn't be directed at a newb. As for not bothering? You're making an assumption.