Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 21 June 2010, 14:44   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Winchester
Boat name: Raven
Make: Westerly 33/Avon 310
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercedes 42 Toh9.8
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 266
Mercury 9.8HP (110)

Hi Fellas

Aside to my Rib I have a Sib (Avon Rover 310) that I really only use once a year at a sailing week for kids as one of the safety boats, on my sib I have an elderly but excellent Mercury 9.8HP.

I have just got the engine out to start it up ready for this year, it started up fine no problem but the tail tell was weak, this engine has a thermostatically controlled flow and when I took the thermostat out underneath it was big lumps of salt crystals, now I always run the engine in a wheelie bin after use and run it for sometime.

I removed all the salt I could see and replaced the housing without the thermostat, I took the engine out of the water and sprayed silicon grease up the water in take and started her up with a bucket under the tail tell, water pi$$ed out along with all sorts of crud and then came the silicon grease. Now my question is, now it is relatively clear of salt and is peeing nicely should I just leave the thermostat out permanently?

I know it will be slightly less efficient, but it will still work and what little extra damage to the environment would be a lot less than manufacturing a new outboard and then shipping said outboard from the Far East to me here in England only to use it for just one week a year.

What does the panel think?
__________________

__________________
Ribtecer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2010, 04:18   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: bicester
Length: no boat
Engine: outboard only
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribtecer View Post
Hi Fellas

Aside to my Rib I have a Sib (Avon Rover 310) that I really only use once a year at a sailing week for kids as one of the safety boats, on my sib I have an elderly but excellent Mercury 9.8HP.

I have just got the engine out to start it up ready for this year, it started up fine no problem but the tail tell was weak, this engine has a thermostatically controlled flow and when I took the thermostat out underneath it was big lumps of salt crystals, now I always run the engine in a wheelie bin after use and run it for sometime.

I removed all the salt I could see and replaced the housing without the thermostat, I took the engine out of the water and sprayed silicon grease up the water in take and started her up with a bucket under the tail tell, water pi$$ed out along with all sorts of crud and then came the silicon grease. Now my question is, now it is relatively clear of salt and is peeing nicely should I just leave the thermostat out permanently?

I know it will be slightly less efficient, but it will still work and what little extra damage to the environment would be a lot less than manufacturing a new outboard and then shipping said outboard from the Far East to me here in England only to use it for just one week a year.

What does the panel think?
NO dont leave the thermostat out they are fitted for a reason your engine will run colder than it should
__________________

__________________
uncle al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2010, 07:11   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Winchester
Boat name: Raven
Make: Westerly 33/Avon 310
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercedes 42 Toh9.8
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle al View Post
NO dont leave the thermostat out they are fitted for a reason your engine will run colder than it should
Thank you for your reply, what damage can occur by it running colder?
__________________
Ribtecer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2010, 09:53   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: bicester
Length: no boat
Engine: outboard only
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 894
you might have to run it on choke longer which will wash moving parts, increase fuel consumption, run dirtyer because of the extra fuel burnt ,there is a chance that all the fuel wont be burnt but blown out through the exhaust
__________________
uncle al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2010, 08:52   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Winchester
Boat name: Raven
Make: Westerly 33/Avon 310
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercedes 42 Toh9.8
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 266
Any ideas how easy it would be to get a new themostat for this engine, or would anyone know the part number?

Thank you
__________________
Ribtecer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2010, 05:25   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: bicester
Length: no boat
Engine: outboard only
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 894
morning
if you could ring me on 01869 326411 with your obm serial number ,but i think the part number for a thermostat is 75692 but to be sure i require a s/n, they can be purchased from any merc/mar dealer you will also require
1X 27-88346 gasket
1X 27-62386001 gasket
regards
uncle al
__________________
uncle al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2010, 14:12   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: bicester
Length: no boat
Engine: outboard only
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 894
i put that badly you can purchas the thermostats from dealers not serial numbers old age is dreadfull so dont try it
__________________
uncle al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2010, 19:01   #8
Member
 
Locozodiac's Avatar
 
Country: Other
Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider Boats
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 18 /30 HP
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribtecer View Post
Any ideas how easy it would be to get a new themostat for this engine, or would anyone know the part number?

Thank you
Why do you need to change the thermostat for ? If only salty stuck, you can soak it in pure vinegar for 15 minutes and brush away with an old teeth brush. Perform the function test: 1-Suspend thermostat and thermometer in a heat resistant container pyrex type filled with water 2-Slowly heat and stirr the water, verify thermostat opens at 140 F, 60 C. If it doesn't open at specified temp, replace thermostat. 3-Remove thermo and place on table, verify it's closing action as it cools down, if it's not slow and smooth replace it. If still working properly put it back on, there is also a water pressure issue on engine head when using engine with thermostat removed.
__________________
Locozodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2010, 19:34   #9
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle al View Post
old age is dreadfull so dont try it
Got to be better than the alternative though, eh al?
__________________
Downhilldai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2010, 19:59   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Winchester
Boat name: Raven
Make: Westerly 33/Avon 310
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercedes 42 Toh9.8
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 266
Thanks Guys.
__________________

__________________
Ribtecer is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:19.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.