Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 26 April 2011, 22:07   #1

Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Twin 50 Mariners
Steering options for twin 50's

Hi

I'm looking at steering options for twin 50hp Mariners to replace an old single cable system. Obvious choices seem to be the Teleflex NFB cable (£200) or their Baystar hydraulic (£400+). I've seen the posts re pros and cons of each but what's confusing me is their applicability to twin engine configurations - the max power ratings are ample 135/150hp) and in someplaces this is described as "combined" which does rather suggest more than one engine is envisaged, but on the other hand, in places on the Teleflex website it says both systems are for single engine setups only and they steer you towards much more expensive options for multiple engines.

Ringing a couple of UK suppliers they were entirely relaxed about using these systems with twin 50's, and as the boat now uses a single cable system (rigid tiebar between the two motors) it feels a straightforward replacement - but any thoughts from the expertise on here please? And anyone actually using either of these systems with similar setups?

Thanks!
Old 26 April 2011, 22:12   #2
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
I was using a SeaStar on twin 90s with a simple tiebar. It worked fine.
Old 26 April 2011, 22:13   #3

Town: Dorset
Boat name: Seabadger 2
Make: Delta / Ribcraft 6.8
Length: 7m +
Engine: Various
MMSI: -
Hi I have twin 40 mariners and the teleflex cable goes to one engine, which is linked to the second with a drag link and tie bar arrangement. Important to ensure its all nice and tight and that the engines can be tilted up independently still especially if manual tilt as its hard to lift both together.

also obviously important to spend some time setting up the alingment between the engines.

I can email you pictures of the steering arrangement if required

Cheers
Old 27 April 2011, 09:10   #4

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Thunder
Make: Halmatic Arctic 22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2 x 150 Etec
I have the Seastar set up mine, it works very well even though the engines are not counter rotating.
Old 27 April 2011, 15:24   #5

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
I think they recommend Seastar systems for twins, but IMO that is probably not really necessary with smaller engines.

Single steering cylinder on the engine closer to where your hydraulic line comes up and a tiebar to the other engine.

Here's a link to the same discussion with a reply from a Seastar rep:

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-...-steering.html

jky
Old 27 April 2011, 21:47   #6

Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Twin 50 Mariners
Thanks all for the input - and answering my own question rather, I talked today to a very helpful bloke called Richard at Marinescene, who immediately rang his Teleflex contact ("Bob") with the question, then gave me Bob's mobile number so we could talk direct about the installation (going for the Baystar). And he was fine with it (and equally helpful, happy also to give advice on how to do it). So back to Marinescene and placed the order...