Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 06 September 2005, 17:42   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: I.O.W/Bristol
Boat name: HotShot
Make: shakey
Length: 5m +
Engine: 70hp Tohatsu
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,543
fuel filters for outboard

Do I need some sort of fuel filter between my tank and outboard? I have seen filters/water seperation units mounted on the transoms of RIBs, but is this more necessary for fuel injection models?

My outboard is a 1996 tohatsu 70hp carb model so no injectors to damage (but obvioulsy a fuel pump). I have had a look in the plastimo catalogue at filters and there seems to be 3 different types of water seperation and then the cheapo in-line throw-away filters. Anyone have any idea what I need?

Also, I have a shiney new ali tank and plan to fit one of those plastic plastimo fuel tank plates (with the filler cap and sender fitting etc) that was kindly donated by Mr Rogue Wave (thank you sir). Trouble is, when I was scavaging through Mr Wave's portacabin, I neglected to pick up the feed pipe which goes into the tank. Does anyone have any suggesions as to what hose I could use for this (just a length of normal fuel hose perhaps?), and can I get little wire mesh caps to go on the end?

thanks in advance for the help!

Cheers

Tim
__________________

__________________
slimtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 September 2005, 17:49   #2
Member
 
Richard B's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 5,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimtim
Do I need some sort of fuel filter between my tank and outboard? I have seen filters/water seperation units mounted on the transoms of RIBs, but is this more necessary for fuel injection models?
I would say that you do. CAV and Racor make units like this... not sure of the best supplier....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Filter.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	14242  
__________________

Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 September 2005, 17:51   #3
Member
 
Richard B's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 5,015
Here ya go... just a short hop away in Lymington!

http://www.force4.co.uk/ProductDetai...productID/1109
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 September 2005, 18:10   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Newquay, Cornwall.
Boat name: None :(
Make: None :(
Length: 5m +
Engine: None :(
MMSI: None :(
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
Here ya go... just a short hop away in Lymington!

http://www.force4.co.uk/ProductDetai...productID/1109
Suggest you go there in person though - these guys are useless at mail order.

Everything takes weeks to come and they regularly get the order wrong.

They do speak very nicely to you and apologise for the mess up - but thats not much consilation when your in a hurry for a spare bit and the summer is ticking away...
roycruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 September 2005, 00:44   #5
Member
 
Country: Netherlands
Town: friesland
Boat name: smokkelaer
Make: revenger
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 Optimax
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
I would say that you do. CAV and Racor make units like this... not sure of the best supplier....
I'm using these filters for some years now without any problems.
Though I met an Optimax dealer last weekend on the water who told me that these filters are not made for petrol but for diesel. Petrol would possibly destroy the glue that is used for the cartouchefilter and could give problems on the injectors.
Reason why I used these filters is because I make a switch system with two of them. If you have filter or water problem at sea, it's possible to switch from one filter to the other in seconds and keep the engine running.
__________________
danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 September 2005, 02:38   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Kent
Boat name: Cygnet
Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 70hp 4* outbo
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
Here ya go... just a short hop away in Lymington!

http://www.force4.co.uk/ProductDetai...productID/1109
This item states “this unit offers efficient dirt removal & water separation from diesel fuel lines.”

Having had problems with fuel in 2 stroke engines for many years, I was a little surprised to find our Humber didn’t have a transom fitted filter when we picked it up from new. I have been looking for a while to find one to fit between the fuel tanks & our Suzuki 70hp 4 stroke engine.
So if anyone has any links to something suitable it would be much appreciated.
__________________
Swanley Sub-Aqua Club
Jackwabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 September 2005, 02:46   #7
Member
 
Richard B's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 5,015
IIRC you can use the diesel filters on petrol engines, but not advised t'other way round. Racor do a petrol filter/separator unit, but finding a link is more elusive!
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 September 2005, 03:36   #8
Member
 
Pete7's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 4,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny
Though I met an Optimax dealer last weekend on the water who told me that these filters are not made for petrol but for diesel. Petrol would possibly destroy the glue that is used for the cartouchefilter and could give problems on the injectors.
As Richard and your Opti dealer says they are not designed for use with petrol. However back in the real world, we have had one on the club dive rib since 1995 and changed the filter twice in that time I think. It just works, year in year out. Being a diesel filter it will be finer than a petrol filter and has the advantage that you can see water in the glass bit whilst the Mercury filter is just a metal cannister.

Tim, Panda in Fareham charge £37 for one of these so good price from Force 4, (volvo wanted £70 in 1995 ) but the nice thing is replacement filters are about £3 each, no idea how much the Merc ones are, but it wil be alot more.

Pete
__________________
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 September 2005, 05:22   #9
Member
 
Cookee's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 4,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny
I'm using these filters for some years now without any problems.
Though I met an Optimax dealer last weekend on the water who told me that these filters are not made for petrol but for diesel. Petrol would possibly destroy the glue that is used for the cartouchefilter and could give problems on the injectors.
Reason why I used these filters is because I make a switch system with two of them. If you have filter or water problem at sea, it's possible to switch from one filter to the other in seconds and keep the engine running.
As far as I am aware, these types of filters are not recomended for Optimax engines, it might be worth checking the installation instructions or asking your dealer.
__________________
Cookee
Originally Posted by Zippy
When a boat looks that good who needs tubes!!!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 September 2005, 06:31   #10
Member
 
Country: Netherlands
Town: friesland
Boat name: smokkelaer
Make: revenger
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 Optimax
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee
As far as I am aware, these types of filters are not recomended for Optimax engines, it might be worth checking the installation instructions or asking your dealer.
I will take it of and replace it with a big Yamaha-one. I have this one lying around for a few years because the replacmentfilters cost 42 euros !!!!

As pete said before, the Racor/lucas/delphi ones kost about 5 euro's !!

I want what's best for this engine.
__________________

__________________
danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:38.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.