Old 06 September 2005, 21:42   #1

Town: I.O.W/Switzerland
Boat name: HotShot
Make: shakey
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp Tohatsu TLDI
fuel filters for outboard

Do I need some sort of fuel filter between my tank and outboard? I have seen filters/water seperation units mounted on the transoms of RIBs, but is this more necessary for fuel injection models?

My outboard is a 1996 tohatsu 70hp carb model so no injectors to damage (but obvioulsy a fuel pump). I have had a look in the plastimo catalogue at filters and there seems to be 3 different types of water seperation and then the cheapo in-line throw-away filters. Anyone have any idea what I need?

Also, I have a shiney new ali tank and plan to fit one of those plastic plastimo fuel tank plates (with the filler cap and sender fitting etc) that was kindly donated by Mr Rogue Wave (thank you sir). Trouble is, when I was scavaging through Mr Wave's portacabin, I neglected to pick up the feed pipe which goes into the tank. Does anyone have any suggesions as to what hose I could use for this (just a length of normal fuel hose perhaps?), and can I get little wire mesh caps to go on the end?

thanks in advance for the help!

Cheers

Tim
Old 06 September 2005, 21:49   #2

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimtim
Do I need some sort of fuel filter between my tank and outboard? I have seen filters/water seperation units mounted on the transoms of RIBs, but is this more necessary for fuel injection models?
I would say that you do. CAV and Racor make units like this... not sure of the best supplier....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Filter.JPG
Views:	234
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	14242  
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 September 2005, 21:51   #3

Here ya go... just a short hop away in Lymington!

http://www.force4.co.uk/ProductDetai...productID/1109
Old 06 September 2005, 22:10   #4

Town: Newquay, Cornwall.
Boat name: None :(
Make: None :(
Engine: None :(
MMSI: None :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B

Suggest you go there in person though - these guys are useless at mail order.

Everything takes weeks to come and they regularly get the order wrong.

They do speak very nicely to you and apologise for the mess up - but thats not much consilation when your in a hurry for a spare bit and the summer is ticking away...
roycruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 September 2005, 04:44   #5

Town: friesland
Boat name: smokkelaer
Make: revenger
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 Optimax
Quote:
I would say that you do. CAV and Racor make units like this... not sure of the best supplier....
I'm using these filters for some years now without any problems.
Though I met an Optimax dealer last weekend on the water who told me that these filters are not made for petrol but for diesel. Petrol would possibly destroy the glue that is used for the cartouchefilter and could give problems on the injectors.
Reason why I used these filters is because I make a switch system with two of them. If you have filter or water problem at sea, it's possible to switch from one filter to the other in seconds and keep the engine running.
Old 07 September 2005, 06:38   #6

Town: Kent
Boat name: Cygnet
Make: Humber
Engine: Suzuki 70hp 4* outbo
Quote:

This item states “this unit offers efficient dirt removal & water separation from diesel fuel lines.”

Having had problems with fuel in 2 stroke engines for many years, I was a little surprised to find our Humber didn’t have a transom fitted filter when we picked it up from new. I have been looking for a while to find one to fit between the fuel tanks & our Suzuki 70hp 4 stroke engine.
So if anyone has any links to something suitable it would be much appreciated.
Old 07 September 2005, 06:46   #7

IIRC you can use the diesel filters on petrol engines, but not advised t'other way round. Racor do a petrol filter/separator unit, but finding a link is more elusive!
Old 07 September 2005, 07:36   #8

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny
Though I met an Optimax dealer last weekend on the water who told me that these filters are not made for petrol but for diesel. Petrol would possibly destroy the glue that is used for the cartouchefilter and could give problems on the injectors.
As Richard and your Opti dealer says they are not designed for use with petrol. However back in the real world, we have had one on the club dive rib since 1995 and changed the filter twice in that time I think. It just works, year in year out. Being a diesel filter it will be finer than a petrol filter and has the advantage that you can see water in the glass bit whilst the Mercury filter is just a metal cannister.

Tim, Panda in Fareham charge £37 for one of these so good price from Force 4, (volvo wanted £70 in 1995 ) but the nice thing is replacement filters are about £3 each, no idea how much the Merc ones are, but it wil be alot more.

Pete
Old 07 September 2005, 09:22   #9

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny
I'm using these filters for some years now without any problems.
Reason why I used these filters is because I make a switch system with two of them. If you have filter or water problem at sea, it's possible to switch from one filter to the other in seconds and keep the engine running.
As far as I am aware, these types of filters are not recomended for Optimax engines, it might be worth checking the installation instructions or asking your dealer.
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 September 2005, 10:31   #10

Town: friesland
Boat name: smokkelaer
Make: revenger
Engine: 225 Optimax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee
As far as I am aware, these types of filters are not recomended for Optimax engines, it might be worth checking the installation instructions or asking your dealer.
I will take it of and replace it with a big Yamaha-one. I have this one lying around for a few years because the replacmentfilters cost 42 euros !!!!

As pete said before, the Racor/lucas/delphi ones kost about 5 euro's !!

I want what's best for this engine.
Old 07 September 2005, 13:25   #11

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee
Yup, it specifically says in the installation book not to fit an additional filter.

I investigated this at time of installation and noone, including some Barrus people, could think of a good reason why not to.

Therefore I installed a "merc" inline filter in addition to the one already fitted to the engine.

This was IMHO a good idea since when ever i change the filters there is some crap and generally a little water in the first filter and the (smaller) optimax integrated filter is nice a clean. I change the filters every 50 hours, although this may be a little keen, i'd rather fork out the money that risk engine damage from crappy fuel from marina fuel barges.

Anyway, tim, yes fit one.
Old 07 September 2005, 17:54   #12

Town: I.O.W/Switzerland
Boat name: HotShot
Make: shakey
Engine: 90hp Tohatsu TLDI
Thanks for the comments guys. My local Tohatsu dealer has a tempo one for about £33....but I'm sure I can get one cheaper.

How about the fuel feed pipe for the tank? Any suggestions? I reckon If I just use regular fuel hose and make sure it is not long enough to suck onto the tank bottom or sides, I should be ok. Probably no need for a mesh on the end if I have a fuel filter somewhere else in the boat.

Tim
Old 07 September 2005, 18:03   #13

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimtim

How about the fuel feed pipe for the tank? Any suggestions? I reckon If I just use regular fuel hose ............... Probably no need for a mesh on the end.......Tim
I would be inclined to use something solid so it doesn’t float around in the tank
Also not really convinced of the performance of hose that has fuel on both sided, it will go soft eventually.
A gauze will stop big objects like sea gulls or boy scouts for getting into the pipe and is a good idea.
Give me some sizes I might have some bits here. Des
Old 07 September 2005, 18:19   #14

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
Yer i say solid aswell, how about 15mm copper pipe, will that react with petrol?
Old 07 September 2005, 19:08   #15

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel
Yer i say solid aswell, how about 15mm copper pipe, will that react with petrol?
It should be CuNi and I think 15mm might cause problems when it comes to maintaining a good(ish) vacuum 6 to 10mm would be enough Des
Old 07 September 2005, 21:16   #16

Town: Liverpool
Boat name: Rough Divide
Make: Mako
Engine: Suzuki DF250
http://www.asap-supplies.com/

Every type of filter and spares you will need,they deliver very quickly aswell.

Click on "fuel systems" then on "racor fuel filtration products" or "cav type filters" to see all the different filters.

For your outboard i would go with the racor filter with the plastic see through water collection bowl and tap(make sure to select the one with appropriate fuel flow per hour to match your engine.)

Or these are pretty good too,but unlike the racor it is not so easy to monitor how much water is in the filter,or to drain it off.

http://marinestore.co.uk/Merchant2/m...e=fuel-filters

and if you are on a real budget an inline filter is better than nothing,though if you get a lot of water in your fuel,these will fill up very quickly.

http://marinestore.co.uk/Merchant2/m...e=fuel-filters