Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 60hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Thanks IslandRibber.

Looks like you managed to avoid having to move the stainless-steel tie-down 'U' bolt on the transom and fit the bracket snuggley. Having the auxilliary out of the way is ideal, however as discussed - I have the bench seat as opposed to your jockey seat, so looks like I will have to fit in situ.

Old 13 May 2008, 18:57   #32

RIBase
Update...

Finally fitted a Plastimo adjustable transom bracket. Only 2 positions, it's either up or it's down! Had to grind off one of the bolt apertures from the stainless-steel mount in order to fit. The 7-man Pro has a angled transom and lip, which has caused me no end of problems. With 3 bolts fitted - this should be more than sufficient for the weight of the Tohatsu 3.5hp (18kg - long-shaft). Had to inverse one of the stainless-steel U bolts on the transom in order to fit.

I also took off the moulded nylon mount in order to cut it down slightly. With the transom bracket positioned far left of the main engine, there was still a slight clearance issue. Managed to cut approximately 1" off the right hand side. Now the main engine goes hard lock to lock with no contact with auxilliary.

One thing I have noticed now the auxilliary is fitted, is that there is a degree of movement. The bracket has some lateral and vertical movement. I suspect that's just adjustable brackets for you - as they will never be as rigid as a fixed mount.

To compound this - the Tohatsu [engine up] aluminium push-bolt seems poorly designed. My concern is that when underway in a moderate sea the push-bolt won't be sufficiently strong and could possibly shear with vibration?

Do any of you tether your auxilliaries for added rigidity? I didn't plan for this, but can't see any other way round it. Bleed'n typical!

Pictures to follow.

Old 10 August 2008, 17:19   #33

RIBase
Finally got around to supplying pictures of the auxilliary in place.

The Tohatsu is in the 'down' position when it's being trailered. On the water it's up. To strengthen it, I've added a wood block to support the aluminium push bolt which frankly isn't up to the job. Also, there is a 1" ratchet strap attaching the auxilliary to a stainless steel U bolt on the bench seat to provide tension (avoids the engine bumping up and down) when underway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2005.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	36858   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2006.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	36859   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2004.jpg
Views:	181