Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 17 July 2006, 17:25   #1

Town: Bristol
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mariner 30hp
Checked impeller,Rebulit,Now Propeller Spins In Neutral?What Have I Done?

Hi Lads,

Was having overheating probs on my mariner 30,So checked the impeller and it looked fine,bolted the prop end back on,and the gear lever wouldnt move back and foreword.

After about 20 times of fiddling with the metal gear rod i got the lever to move free again.

BUT now even in Neutral the propeller spins,Any one got any ideas what ive done?

I thought this impeller check would be simple lol.
Old 17 July 2006, 18:06   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2000uk
BUT now even in Neutral the propeller spins,
If the prop is spinning the gearbox is NOT in neutral - regardless of what the gear/throttle leaver position is. I had this problem recently after changing gear cables and fitting the new cable too tight. If you removed the cable then I would check this (very easy to pop the cable end off the engine, and check that the level it connects to is in its "natural" neutral position. If you haven't touched the cables (or it is not that problem) then presumably there is a similar problem/linkage inside the casing somewhere which you have touched and "just" needs ajusting.
Old 17 July 2006, 18:17   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart
If the prop is spinning the gearbox is NOT in neutral - regardless of what the gear/throttle leaver position is. I had this problem recently after changing gear cables and fitting the new cable too tight. If you removed the cable then I would check this (very easy to pop the cable end off the engine, and check that the level it connects to is in its "natural" neutral position. If you haven't touched the cables (or it is not that problem) then presumably there is a similar problem/linkage inside the casing somewhere which you have touched and "just" needs ajusting.
Cheers for the reply, Ill fiddle again later,But i definatly havn't touched anything else but the prop case,wich just bolts on,And then recconects to the gear cable,Maybe fiddling more with the tension will sort this.
Old 17 July 2006, 18:20   #4

Town: boston
Boat name: Miss bad 61
Make: Crapko, AKA Mako
Length: 5m +
Engine: OMC Mod50
is the shift shaft coming out of the LU splined or threded,
if splined ( looks like a drive shaft but smaller) , you have it out of time,
hang the lu down, turn the spline to the right( standin facin the prop)
till it rests up agains the detent, that will be forword, push it one click more and that will be N, what ever the LU is in, F or N you want the shifter the same, then slide it up.

if it's threded, make it longer.
Old 17 July 2006, 18:27   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast fred
is the shift shaft coming out of the LU splined or threded,
if splined ( looks like a drive shaft but smaller) , you have it out of time,
hang the lu down, turn the spline to the right( standin facin the prop)
till it rests up agains the detent, that will be forword, push it one click more and that will be N, what ever the LU is in, F or N you want the shifter the same, then slide it up.

if it's threded, make it longer.
Its threaded m8,I guess making it longer should do it.

I'll report back. Cheers
Old 17 July 2006, 20:54   #6

Town: Herne Bay
Boat name: Rotary Rescue
Make: Pacific 22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mermaid 160
MMSI: 235021725
gear shift

if it is the threaded type split linkage on shift rod then its more likely out of adjustment
Paul
Old 18 July 2006, 12:00   #7

Hi again,Tryed tightning it,but its weird,couse if you tighten,The thread joiner will then loosen from the other thread.

Ive taken some pics. Also alot of oil has come out of the prop case,I will replace this of course,but surely this isnt whats making this happen.

Is it still just a matter of trying to get it perfect i.e. the joiner?

Couse i heard it was easy,so not sure why its so hard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	102_0923.JPG
Views:	414
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	20995   Click image for larger version

Name:	102_0924.JPG
Views:	399
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	20996   Click image for larger version

Name:	102_0926.JPG
Views:	368
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	20997  
Old 18 July 2006, 18:57   #8

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Push the gear selector shaft (The one in your picture.) down, now pull it up carefully and you should feel it locating into neutral. Keep pulling it up and you should then feel it locating into gear. Push it down and feel for the three positions. When you are sure you can recognise the three positions, then locate it into neutral.

Set the throttle lever into forward then neutral then reverse and make sure the linkage at the engine is following properly. Set the throttle into neutral.

Re-assemble the lower unit to the leg, be particularly careful not to move the gear selector shaft, and ensure the water pickup is aligned. Nip up the bolts and then screw down the hex joining piece so that the threads are about equally screwed into both ends. Nip up the lock nut.

With a helper, try selecting gears, everything should be fine. You may need to turn the prop by hand while your helper is moving the throttle lever to get the gears to engage because the dog clutch teeth may not line up until the prop is turned. When it is in gear, you will feel the prop lock. **

If neutral does select but there is a bit of clicking when you turn the prop or it doesn't release from one gear, the dogs are catching and a small amount of adjustment is necessary to get them to move apart. Adjust the gear selector cable at the engine end to move the lower unit selector shaft in the required direction.

Recheck the gear selecting until all is ok and then fully tighten all the nuts and bolts.

** It goes without saying that you must not turn the engine over using the prop incase it fires and whacks your fingers. It's always worth removing the kill cord when playing about at the prop.

Have fun.
Old 19 July 2006, 11:24   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker
Push the gear selector shaft (The one in your picture.) down, now pull it up carefully and you should feel it locating into neutral. Keep pulling it up and you should then feel it locating into gear. Push it down and feel for the three positions. When you are sure you can recognise the three positions, then locate it into neutral.

Set the throttle lever into forward then neutral then reverse and make sure the linkage at the engine is following properly. Set the throttle into neutral.

Re-assemble the lower unit to the leg, be particularly careful not to move the gear selector shaft, and ensure the water pickup is aligned. Nip up the bolts and then screw down the hex joining piece so that the threads are about equally screwed into both ends. Nip up the lock nut.

With a helper, try selecting gears, everything should be fine. You may need to turn the prop by hand while your helper is moving the throttle lever to get the gears to engage because the dog clutch teeth may not line up until the prop is turned. When it is in gear, you will feel the prop lock. **

If neutral does select but there is a bit of clicking when you turn the prop or it doesn't release from one gear, the dogs are catching and a small amount of adjustment is necessary to get them to move apart. Adjust the gear selector cable at the engine end to move the lower unit selector shaft in the required direction.

Recheck the gear selecting until all is ok and then fully tighten all the nuts and bolts.

** It goes without saying that you must not turn the engine over using the prop incase it fires and whacks your fingers. It's always worth removing the kill cord when playing about at the prop.

Have fun.
Cheers for the info,got a m8 coming over later to help,will report back.

Thanx
Old 23 July 2006, 13:06   #10

Hi, Tried again,but no luck,still same problem,im thinkin maybe i broke something in the gear case,but cant see how.

Gonna take it somewhere,hopefully it shouldn cost much, canr see how it will.

Cheers for all the help lads.