Old 23 December 2019, 17:51   #1

Town: Cumbria
Boat name: Honwav t30 ae
Make: Honda
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15hp
Blooming Suzuki efi 15

Agggg.

Today packed up completely, would not start , checked all basics and bloody thing would not fire up had to be towed back. Only 7 months old..... Anyone else had problems.
Slowed then sped up the died then started and another 100 m died completely... checked bulb , breather tank. Emptied filter refilled with fuel. Used new fuel.. swapped lines with another Suzuki fuel tank someone else using and nowt....
Old 23 December 2019, 18:11   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
I had similar on last year’s holiday with our 20hp Suzuki effectively same as yours. Just wouldn’t start one morning. Took to dealers who were puzzled and ended up deciding it was contaminated fuel. They back flushed the fuel system from the injectors and that sorted it. They commented there are some very fine filters at the injectors that would block with contaminants that the main filter could let through. It proved too heavy an engine for me so I sold it soon after but as far as I know the new owner hasn’t had any more of that problem.
Old 23 December 2019, 18:31   #3

Town: Cumbria
Boat name: Honwav t30 ae
Make: Honda
Engine: 15hp
Hi

What did u swap it for ?

Thx and Intresting, at dealers now .
Old 23 December 2019, 19:36   #4

>>>What did u swap it for ?

Ha ha.... never do as I do!

I'd convinced myself I wanted to keep to a new 4-stroke... and to keep to my weight target bought a Mariner 10hp. Ran it in but after that period of use realised it was less power than I wanted so sold that and bought a very tidy used 15hp 2-stroke Yamaha.

In truth the 15hp 2-stroke Mercury I had before the Suzuki was the best overall power vs weight (and simplicity for any diy fault finding) on the Aerotec for me so a few quid down the pan and I'm sort of back where I was.
Old 23 December 2019, 19:51   #5

Town: Newcastle Upon Tyne
Boat name: Bella
Make: Honwave
Engine: Outboard 15hp
RIBase
I'm devastated it decided to die today Steve
Old 24 December 2019, 05:50   #6

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
They commented there are some very fine filters at the injectors that would block with contaminants that the main filter could let through.
That's interesting - is the main filter an OEM one or aftermarket? You would think the OEM filters would be to a 'better spec' than the engine requires e.g. engine requires fuel to be filtered to 4 microns and the fuel filter has a 2 micron filter.
Old 24 December 2019, 08:03   #7

It was the standard under-cowl OE filter that failed to catch the contaminant.

I tried to argue the work should be under warranty as the main filter should protect against such an event and the system not rely on secondary mini filters the user would be unaware of. But the argument failed at the dealer counter and I had to cough up about £100 for a "not covered under warranty" event.
Old 24 December 2019, 08:09   #8

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Didnt Jeffstephens on the forum have loads of bother with his small suzuki too, seems to be a recurring issue with them
Old 24 December 2019, 09:33   #9

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Didn't you have a water issue of some sort? If once it's running if you prime the build does it keep going?

Ok just had a look at your threads your mate got water in the engine it's that still in the system proberbly contaminating the IAC valve and high pressure filter. Ideally the engine needs blowing out from the injectors back with compressed air and all filters changing there's a course filter in the line which is metal that just wants blowing out.
Before you do that you could try a product called fuel set it breaks water down so it can be burnt 250 ml is £11.49 from marine store that will last a long time drain as much fuel out of the engine then re fill with new fuel with fuel set added.
Run your engine in a bin until it clears, treat all fuel tanks too if it don't work then it's a strip down with someone that knows his stuff.
Old 24 December 2019, 09:56   #10

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Blooming Suzuki efi 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
Didn't you have a water issue of some sort?

Nah! Sucking bilge water in through a detached fuel line four months back while lent to his mate will have nowt to do with current issues.

Not worth mentioning, this’ll be a generic fault with all new Suzuki’s.

Edit: Caustic comment now irrelevant since Jeff edited his post adding the incident.
Old 24 December 2019, 10:03   #11

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipko View Post
Nah! Sucking bilge water in through a detached fuel line four months back while lent to his mate will have nowt to do with current issues.

Not worth mentioning, this’ll be a generic fault with all new Suzuki’s.
Ok I bet your wrong he's had water in the engine and unless it's been blown out it will stay there as globules I've spent two seasons with this now sorted after blowing out. He's got the same symptoms as I had and nowt to do with a generic fault.
Old 24 December 2019, 10:20   #12

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Jeff, being sarky mate.

Posts crossed. Your edited post rendered my comment irrelevant. Ha!

Cheers.
Old 24 December 2019, 10:29   #13

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
I’ve just fitted one of these to Piglet in the hope of avoiding fuel quality related issues. It’s the first time I’ve owned an engine running off portable tanks & I’m a tad paranoid.

https://www.asap-supplies.com/parker...acket-23299-02
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2019, 11:00   #14

Quote:
Ok I bet your wrong he's had water in the engine and unless it's been blown out it will stay there as globules I've spent two seasons with this now sorted after blowing out. He's got the same symptoms as I had and nowt to do with a generic fault.
Its maybe not a generic fault but it does seem to be a recurring issue, it would appear the standard filtration is inadequate for the environment the engines are used in.
Looks like pikey dave has the preventative cure for it.
The problem with modern injection systems is they require very clean fuel & when they stand for any length of time any water residue that remains in the system has plenty of time to cause issues.
It may not be a generic fault but I suspect it will be an onging issue for owners of these engines unless they are extremely careful with fuel handling & they upgrade the inadequate standard filtration .
Old 24 December 2019, 11:21   #15

RIBase
Ken Dave I've had a fuel separator fitted from new never any water in it but I had water in the engine that's why I think it's methanol attracting water globules you know how hard it is to displace since its heaveyer than petrol I'm going to use fuel set and super unleaded from now on.
Also with seawater it stays put if you look seawater stays wet for longer than fresh water which might be the case for Cumbria I would stress that to the dealer because it will save expense later when it goes tits up if not cleaned properly

No probs chipko
Old 24 December 2019, 11:38   #16

Quote:
Ken Dave I've had a fuel separator fitted from new never any water in it but I had water in the engine that's why I think it's methanol attracting water globules you know how hard it is to displace since its heaveyer than petrol I'm going to use fuel set and super unleaded from now on.
Also with seawater it stays put if you look seawater stays wet for longer than fresh water which might be the case for Cumbria I would stress that to the dealer because it will save expense later when it goes tits up if not cleaned properly

No probs chipko
If thats the case then perhaps fenlander has the only 100% answer
Old 24 December 2019, 15:47   #17

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
If thats the case then perhaps fenlander has the only 100% answer
I don't know in the case of fenlander four stroke 20 too heavey 9 not enough power and he's a two stroke man from old plus the 15 is the right weight and power balance for his needs.
For me use of 95 octane is ok if your going to use it all and not store it 97 I prefer not just because of my issues but taking the ethernol out of the equation with the safe guard of fuel safe is best for me. You see I didn't have any problems until I installed the 43 ltr tank and not topping it off to store is where I went wrong possibly, unless I did pick some bad fuel up. So I think I've sorted it with the safe guards in place.
I've got a sample of the old fuel with water in it which I'm going to test to see if it's salt or not which will prove the bad fuel conector ardoran found.
Old 24 December 2019, 16:29   #18

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
Having worked for many years for said filter oem supllier in the elactonics in hydraaulics dept i did pick up a fair knowledge of filters however i am not an expert ,what i would point out is every filter will create a pressure drop in the circuit ,the finer the filter the greater the pressure drop ! the surface area of media (which is pleated in the can ) also will increase the pressure drop ,so problem start when there is not sufficient pressure to overcome the pressure drop in the circuit hence flow will stop ! also as the filter blocks it will also increase differential pressure ,most filter blockage indicators work on a max differential pressure between input and output .
i wouldnt have a clue what the flow pressure to the suzuki is ,or either whether its gravity or pumped ,however the idea that hand pumping means running contiues may relate some where ? ,the other thing worth considerring is 10 micron particles will block a 3 micron filter very quickly so consider putting a 5 micron strainer in the filler tube
Old 24 December 2019, 19:51   #19

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
I think having a multi layered approach is probably the 'safest'.

Buy super unleaded or something that doesn't contain ethanol. Ethanol, if all the rumour has some basis, knackers seals and attracts water. Incidentally on another forum I peruse, they have recommended not using a petrol station that has just had a tanker delivery. The delivery stirs up the sediment, water etc in the bottom of the tank and it takes a bit of time for it to settle again.

Use a fuel treatment to kill off or prevent bacteria.

Use a filter to get rid of any sediment / remaining water.

I wonder if the OP put Aspen with fuel treatment in it through the engine, it would help to clean it / get rid of water.

Merry Xmas
Old 24 December 2019, 20:26   #20

Quote:
I don't know in the case of fenlander four stroke 20 too heavey 9 not enough power and he's a two stroke man from old plus the 15 is the right weight and power balance for his needs.
For me use of 95 octane is ok if your going to use it all and not store it 97 I prefer not just because of my issues but taking the ethernol out of the equation with the safe guard of fuel safe is best for me. You see I didn't have any problems until I installed the 43 ltr tank and not topping it off to store is where I went wrong possibly, unless I did pick some bad fuel up. So I think I've sorted it with the safe guards in place.
I've got a sample of the old fuel with water in it which I'm going to test to see if it's salt or not which will prove the bad fuel conector ardoran found.
I wasn't refering to fenlanders reasons just the fact he'd reverted to an old school two stroke.
It would appear that there is almost no way to avoid potential fuel issues with the new generation of engines. Modern fuel has a limited shelf life, modern systems cant be easily drained or run dry & its almost inevitable that fuel systems will suffer moisture ingress at some time & your saying even extra filtration cant protect the system. It would appear that for occasional users who cant be arsed with sourcing special fuels that may or may not help, that fuel issues are almost inevitable.
Hence my post that taking fenlanders approach and reverting to an old school two stroke could well be the simplest fix.
It would seem if users arent using engines every week or two then modern tech isnt the best bet

Tags
suzuki