Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyC View Post
I think having a multi layered approach is probably the 'safest'.

Buy super unleaded or something that doesn't contain ethanol. Ethanol, if all the rumour has some basis, knackers seals and attracts water. Incidentally on another forum I peruse, they have recommended not using a petrol station that has just had a tanker delivery. The delivery stirs up the sediment, water etc in the bottom of the tank and it takes a bit of time for it to settle again.

Use a fuel treatment to kill off or prevent bacteria.

Use a filter to get rid of any sediment / remaining water.

I wonder if the OP put Aspen with fuel treatment in it through the engine, it would help to clean it / get rid of water.

Merry Xmas

Re “super unleaded” I have MSDS sheets somewhere for Shell V-power & regular 95 unleaded. The V-power has more Ethanol than regular unleaded. Ethanol is an anti-knock agent & is used to raise the octane rating. These are pre “E10” specs so things may have changed. It wouldn’t surprise me if premium & regular petrol now contain the same amount of ethanol.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2019, 09:47   #22

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
BP super doesn't have ethernol Dave
Ken the amount of water that can be encounted on portable engines would be a problem to two strokes wouldn't it.
Instead of storing I'm putting my fuel in my wife's car job sorted
Old 25 December 2019, 15:54   #23

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
BP super doesn't have ethernol Dave
Ken the amount of water that can be encounted on portable engines would be a problem to two strokes wouldn't it.
Instead of storing I'm putting my fuel in my wife's car job sorted
Yes of course two strokes wont run on water but the fact a two stroke has a fuel bowl gives the water somewhere to settle out which in most cases can then be easily drained off before storage.
Its the water laden fuel left during storage that is the problem as it congeales and solidifies and then blocks jets etc when the engine is restarted. In my experience its not the several ltrs of fuel left in the tank that causes the problem but the few cc's left in the carb or fuel lines. Dumping the fuel from the tank may help a little however the small quantity of fuel left in the high pressure pump and lines on the engine is the most likely to cause issues after storage. You say you never found water in the water separator which suggests there was little if any water coming through from the tank. What moisture did come through was probably emulsified with the fuel but would remain in the injection system to cause issues at startup later on. Fancy fuels and additives may help but I suspect that regular prolonged use would be the best way to prevent issues.
Old 25 December 2019, 16:04   #24

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Agreed super unleaded and fuel safe for me time will tell of course fingers crossed
Old 25 December 2019, 16:20   #25

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
Agreed super unleaded and fuel safe for me time will tell of course fingers crossed
Obviously a huge advantage in the should be go boating or shoping/diying/gardening debate of course[emoji6]

Tags
suzuki