Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 13 January 2009, 16:28   #1
RIBnet supporter
 
bedajim's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cambs/Northants
Length: no boat
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,499
Trade membership again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
When do you expect to sort this out, Tim?
Just after he sorts out his trade membership
__________________
bedajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2009, 04:05   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedajim View Post
Just after he sorts out his trade membership
How does having a garage clear out require you to be a trade member?

I think this has been discussed before - Johns rules are fairly clear, and Tim sticks within them - not directly promoting his business, but with the permitted information in his signature. It seems you can keep under the radar if you are a poor contributor to the forum, but if you're someone like Tim who is regularly offering advice and help, you find yourself open to criticism.
__________________

__________________
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2009, 06:24   #3
RIBnet supporter
 
bedajim's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cambs/Northants
Length: no boat
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
How does having a garage clear out require you to be a trade member?

I think this has been discussed before - Johns rules are fairly clear, and Tim sticks within them - not directly promoting his business, but with the permitted information in his signature. It seems you can keep under the radar if you are a poor contributor to the forum, but if you're someone like Tim who is regularly asking for advice and help & selling bits, you find yourself open to criticism.

Tim Meo - 07717 827393
Evolution RIB Charter & Boat Mate South Coast




Maybe that under each post may equal trade requirments,
but then again you normally provide a service and it does not appear to be happening from this thread
__________________
bedajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2009, 08:19   #4
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedajim View Post
Tim Meo - 07717 827393
Evolution RIB Charter & Boat Mate South Coast




Maybe that under each post may equal trade requirments,
but then again you normally provide a service and it does not appear to be happening from this thread
Bedajim - having a rib related business in your signature does not infringe RIBnet commercial posting rules or require you to be a trade member. Please see here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
Following on from the general posting guidelines, here are some pointers to what is acceptable commercial activity on RIBnet:
  • RIBnet is primarily non-commercial, with a limited number of exceptions
  • It is acceptable to use your company's web site address as the Home Page URL in your profile. You may also have a link to your web site in your signature.
  • Paid up trade members may use the Trade announcements and special offers section to advertise their products and services.
  • All users may post in the Buy and sell sections, but adverts must be for specific, individual items and not generic product adverts.
Specific examples of unacceptable commercial posts include:

- Blatant advertising outside the "Trade announcements and special offers" section
- Repetitive posting of the same information
- Unsubstantiated claims or wild marketing hype
- Creating "spoof" users to promote your product
- Generic adverts in the "RIBs for sale" forum

If you use the forums to promote your business you are required to join as a trade member. Any posts that are deemed to be unsuitable will be removed, and repeat offenders may have their account suspended.

If you have any doubt about what you're about to post, please contact me first to avoid any doubt!

John
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2009, 09:27   #5
RIBnet supporter
 
bedajim's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cambs/Northants
Length: no boat
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Bedajim - having a rib related business in your signature does not infringe RIBnet commercial posting rules or require you to be a trade member. Please see here:
Yep so I see your a top man for showing me the error of my ways "Gazie"

Reading a little deeper I can save myself 20 in future


Jim
__________________
bedajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2009, 11:25   #6
Administrator
 
John Kennett's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 6,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
I think this has been discussed before - Johns rules are fairly clear, and Tim sticks within them - not directly promoting his business, but with the permitted information in his signature.
The rules do say "If you use the forums to promote your business you are required to join as a trade member" though.

As it stands I reckon that Tim is a borderline case, and I might rewrite the rules to close this loophole as it does sometime feel that it's taking advantage.
__________________
John Kennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2009, 12:02   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
The rules do say "If you use the forums to promote your business you are required to join as a trade member" though.

As it stands I reckon that Tim is a borderline case, and I might rewrite the rules to close this loophole as it does sometime feel that it's taking advantage.
I think it's a difficult line to tread, and one you manage fairly. In general terms people are pretty honest if they use the forum for business - most people on here are Rib owners, so are unlikely to give a charter company much work!

The reason I saw fit to stick up for Tim is that, as I've said, and has been confirmed (even if you are closing the loophole!), I think the reason he may appear to sail close to the wind is simply that he isn't a 'quiet' member of the forum. Having trawled through his recent posts, they are largely constructive and helpful, and as I've said, I think this puts him more in the firing line that some - not necessarily deservedly.
__________________
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2009, 12:33   #8
Member
 
rickuk3's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Leighton Buzzard
Boat name: Phoenix
Make: Osprey Eagle
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 75hp
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 270
Personally I feel that Tim is no where near the line compared to people like Johnbiesheuvel who has made 9 posts on here and every one of them has been to advertise boats he is selling as a business.
Richard
__________________
Inland Dayboat & Charter Hire
Chandlery and GRP mouldings
www.cosgrovenarrowboats.co.uk
rickuk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2009, 13:13   #9
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
I think it's a difficult line to tread, and one you manage fairly. In general terms people are pretty honest if they use the forum for business - most people on here are Rib owners, so are unlikely to give a charter company much work!

The reason I saw fit to stick up for Tim is that, as I've said, and has been confirmed (even if you are closing the loophole!), I think the reason he may appear to sail close to the wind is simply that he isn't a 'quiet' member of the forum. Having trawled through his recent posts, they are largely constructive and helpful, and as I've said, I think this puts him more in the firing line that some - not necessarily deservedly.
If that were really the case there would be no point in putting his details in the signature then. Personally I would have no objection to people needing a trade membership to advertise even through signature lines. Perhaps selling bulk items like l/j lights (which i bought) also gives people the impression that he was using the site to make money...

...that said I don't think Tim is the worst offender - and as I stated earlier is, just, within my interpretation of the current rules.
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2009, 13:15   #10
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedajim View Post
"Gazie"
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:43.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.