Old 09 May 2007, 08:16   #121
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B View Post
Except him being called "a cowboy", amongst other things, whilst he operates within totally within the law?
One person's opinion based on a snap judgement that turned out not to be correct.

Balanced against the positive outcome of the debate and the added exposure for the company, I doubt that there will be any detrimental outcome.

John
Old 09 May 2007, 08:22   #122
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Not entirely pointless - I think there is a precedent for a thread you edited/removed in response to threatened legal action over aledged defamatory comments.
The one time that solicitors were involved did not end up with the complainant getting what they wanted. A simple and polite email tends to work much better.

As I have said, in this case I think that the outcome is fair and balanced but I am happy to discuss it with the operator in question if he feels otherwise.

John
Old 21 May 2007, 11:29   #123

Length: 6m +
Here is the e-mail reply from Sam Rose, from Jurassic Coast:

Quote:
Hi Jimbo

Thanks for this, and for your effort in ensuring a fair debate.

However, the RIB is absolutely nothing to do with us. I manage a small
Dorset and Devon County Council supported Team managing the Jurassic Coast
World Heritage Site, and promoting conservation, education and responsible
or sustainable tourism. We do not operate any vehicles, nor do we run any
facilities or tours.

The RIB you are talking about is a private company, operated by, I think,
Lulworth Marine. Their number is 01929 400560. They are within their
rights to say they offer Jurassic Coast tours, but this is not endorsed,
nor quality assured by us. They appear on our Jurassic Coast by Boat
leaflet, in which we state clearly:

"While every effort has been made to provide accurate information, the
World Heritage Team can accept no responsibility for any inaccuracies.
Safety at sea is the responsibility of the individual operators under the
regulations of the Maritime Coastguard Agency. Certification to this
effect and details of insurance should be displayed on board all vessels.
All trips depend on the weather. Most boats only operate in the spring,
summer and early autumn. Large boats operate from Exmouth and
Poole/Bournemouth and can carry over 100 passengers. All other boats are
limited to 10 or 12 passengers"

We periodically review operators on this leaflet.

I do not wish to look at the RIB debate, but I would be happy for you to
post this entry on to the site if you felt it would help the debate. We
would also be happy for people to have a look at www.jurassiccoast.com and
explore the coast for themselves.

Many thanks

Sam
Old 21 May 2007, 12:55   #124
ADS

Town: Dorset
Length: 4m +
I can't believe I missed this thread!
Threat of legal action and the ribnet traffic wardens arguing......Cancels afternoon appointment and sticks the kettle on!
Old 27 May 2007, 17:37   #125

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
I am with Andre on this one!

I am also sorry I missed it! I thought Dunc's comments very pertinent and I hope the pictures do damage mateys business!

When you take people to the water you have a moral (as well as legal) duty of care. It is clear from these photo's that duty was not being respected!

LJ's are a hassle to fit on quick turn around trips but the water is still fkkn cold and the lifejackets will help the victims float, then all they have to deal with is just the gasp reflex problems, hyperventilation, cold shock and disorientation. I am presuming the customers were told if they did go in to stay still during any recovery operation this should be part of the safety briefing.
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2007, 09:10   #126

Town: scotland
Boat name: Leviathan
Make: Phantom
Engine: GM Diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
What about other "speed boat" rides that you see at the seaside I don't recall seeing any of them with passengers wearing life jackets. Are they all criminally irresponsible? Or are RIBs inherently more dangerous than conventional speed boats?

John

Oh C'mon Johnny!
We all know that RIBs are no more than 'hair triggered' ejector seats! You can't possibly compare the two.

See you on the 15th mate.
Old 22 August 2010, 17:44   #127
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Engine: 300hp plus
Coming up to date

I have seen that the same RIB is operating from Lulworth Cove for rides on Country File BBC, has anyone been down lately to see if the operation has changed?
Old 23 August 2010, 07:05   #128

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Engine: inboard/diesel
it's not a legal requirement to wear a lifejacket or have a kill cord attached, stupid not to do both but when towing and anchoring or in some boat working instances both items do get in the way
Old 23 August 2010, 10:27   #129

Town: solent
Boat name: Falcon
Make: ocean dynamics
Length: 9m +
Engine: Diesel jet/twin outb
The Lulworth Cove "Cowboy"

As a former SAR Type,I would recommend that Poole Safaris is one of the best templates for an example of how a punter rib trip shuld be operated, and no he has not paid me! Although I was not willing to do that type of work..too much time pressure AtoB..THE SAFETY BRIEFING was A1,the boat equipped to a standard exceeding the Code requirements,crew and passenger contact/monitoring excellent..etc and the owner Steve had a genuine passion for his 9m Parker Baltic RIB ..all in all a top end operation! Well done ,Steve,sorry that the work wasn,t for me.. glad that you got sorted ATB Tony
Old 23 August 2010, 12:13   #130

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Worth the wait
Make: Parker
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard
Thank you Tony for those comments.

I had a work friend & family come out with us a couple of weeks back, as they were staying near Corfe, who later the same week went to Lulworth. They saw this operation still going with no improvement and could not believe that both operations were working to the same code.

I know that I chose to do what and how we operate, but it does grate on me that I could have done the same as the Lulworth operation and potentially doubled my profit.

However I would point out that to get my coding I had to have certain levels of equipment, such as full harness lifejackets for the crew and yet it appears that this operation and at least one other operator in Dorset, dont have them, fact. How come .....
Old 01 September 2010, 11:10   #131

Town: Reading
Boat name: Ella Rose
Make: RIBTEC 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 115
To slightly change tack on this "Cowboy", I was there 3 weeks ago. I didn't think about the lifejackets, I was more concerned by the speed that he left and entered the cove. Many boats were anchored there, but that didn't stop him zooming in and out at a good rate of knots, causing disturbance to all!! What I was most amazed about was on leaving, there was a big group of canoest (spelling?) under instruction. At the time they were paddling across the entrance. Like most people, we slowed to let them pass, no stress. Except for the Cowboy who Didn't slow down, or give way to them. I know that several people have complained to him about his speed, and the fact that he thinks he owns the cove. Hopefully one day something offical will be done!!
Old 02 September 2010, 09:50   #132

Town: Mayfair, London
Make: RibEye/Ferretti 881
Engine: Yamaha 25/Twin MTU
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2 RIBS View Post
I have seen that the same RIB is operating from Lulworth Cove for rides on Country File BBC, has anyone been down lately to see if the operation has changed?
I think we can be in very little doubt that a number of ribdotnet wardens, sorry, members, have been observing his operation, tut tutting under the hoods of their anoraks feverishly scribbling down their safety views on their clipboards.
Old 05 September 2010, 11:29   #133

Town: Greatstone
Boat name: timanfaya 2
Make: zodiac
Engine: mariner 75
MMSI: 235079206
goodness what a lively debate, i wonder if any of you have any veiws on the carrying of rakes by VIPs when i take them in with the Gorillas? LOL.... i have been visiting Lulworth for years and have close friends in the community there, the guys running this are very local and know the waters better than the fish, on the trips we have taken the sea condition have always been brilliant the trip was sedate and i never once felt ill at ease. I have been on the water for years and i am a very safety aware boater , I think you should all go for a spin.....but take your own rake!
Old 05 September 2010, 17:33   #134

Town: Surrey
Length: 9m +
I had some dealings with this firm a couple of years ago and it was not good.

I had a young child on board my RIB who was feeling very ill and I decided the best action to take was to get them on to firm ground ASAP.
So I went into Lulworth just as the large yellow charter RIB was coming out.

In the cove is a small wooden walkway which is pushed out into the sea which is used by the charter company to load and unload passengers. On the end of this pier/walkway was a male who I now know was responsible for collecting the money and arranging the passengers to go on the RIB rides.

It may have been the wrong thing to do but as it was the safest location I was going to quickly drop off the sick child and one adult on this pier.

When I was about 10m off this money collector shouted "and you can f***k off, we pay a lot off money to use this and if you think you are coming in here you have another f*****g thing coming" he then said I would get a smack in the gob if I attempted to land.

What a nice guy, fair enough it may be private and I may have been taking a liberty in using it for 10 seconds (I attempted to explain what I wanted to do). However I take exception for the way I was spoken to with young kids on board and in earshot.
For this encounter I have no time or respect for this company.
Old 05 September 2010, 17:50   #135

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.C. View Post
I may have been taking a liberty in using it for 10 seconds
May be but this is what being a boat owner is all about, helping each other out and everyone working together so we all have a good day out. If the boat was just on its way out then you're not going to intefere with their operation so what's the problem? I spent a lot of money and hundreds of hours building my boat as have many other people, we don't kick off when someone else moors up alongside in the marina and starts hopping across to the pontoon.

I'm half tempted to pop across the channel just to stick Martini II on his precious pier. I'd love someone to talk to me like that, with no kids around of course
Old 05 September 2010, 18:58   #136

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by martini View Post
I'm half tempted to pop across the channel just to stick Martini II on his precious pier. I'd love someone to talk to me like that, with no kids around of course
Whilst your at it Matt, I know of a couple of precious pontoons in this area where you could also stick Martini II. One at Mylor Harbour, the other on the Helford river.

Next June eh?
Old 05 September 2010, 19:07   #137

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollers View Post
whilst your at it matt, i know of a couple of precious pontoons in this area where you could also stick martini ii. One at mylor harbour, the other on the helford river.

Next june eh?
Old 05 September 2010, 19:28   #138

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Whilst your at it Matt, I know of a couple of precious pontoons in this area where you could also stick Martini II. One at Mylor Harbour, the other on the Helford river.

Next June eh?
268 days and counting
Old 13 September 2010, 13:48   #139

Town: South Coast
Length: no boat
Countryfile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcwozere View Post
The ferry operator that goes up and down the Medina, and back and forth from the pontoons to The Folly doesn't make his passangers wear lifejackets, and tbh, I've never seen a lifejacket on the boat.. (And after 10pm, some of his passangers can hardly be described as being sober..) Neither does the operator of the ferry that goes from Warsash to Hamble..
Did you watch BBC Countryfile last night?

The RIB featured on there, didn't have any lifejacket wearing passengers.

looked safe enough though.
Old 04 October 2010, 11:09   #140

Just stumbled across this thread and felt even sitting at home I better put a life jacket on before I read it all. 8-), wow what a debate, am eager to learn if anything more happened, please someone update me, its hours to go before eastenders is on. Seriously though some very strong points made. I think having just read all the input I could sum up the thread as the following;

1. The operator does not conform to what would be called best practice safety operating procedures as used by the majority of operators of this type.
2. Rib community concerned by the guys procedures on safety grounds.
3. No one has asked him for his comments on this issue and people have felt the comments unfair as it may effect his business.
4. The law from what ive read says you have to have lifejackets on board but doesnt make it mandatory to wear them, kill cords are mentioned in guidance documents.
5. Regarding wearing lifejackets and other safety features they may be specifically requirred within the operators insurance requirements.
6. The amount of posts on this in my opinion is great, it shows people are passionate about boating and wish to to be a safe and pleasurable experience, we have all seen many idots on the water so the passion is understandable.

On a personal note I have personally rescued two canooists from just outside lulworth harbour who had fallen out and could not get back in and hence I think he should be careful of his speed, tourists who go canooing in that area are often very inexperienced.