Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickjones View Post

so basically, for kitesurf rescue cover, within site of land, covering either 1 punter at a time or up to 4 pro kiters (comp) can anyone offer guidance as to the following?

1) min crew required
2) approx size of boat
2) engine power

sorry if it looks like i am going on a bit, but after making many phone calls today i feel i am not much further forward and the best info rests here on the fora

i just need to know where i should start looking

thanks all, hope you all had a good new years
For safety cover a guy I know uses a Zap Kat for his kitesurfing school he is based in Fareham ,so do a couple of lifeguard clubs but they are on the Thames . A SIB (soft inflateable boat) would be ideal and cheaper.
Have a look at the ceasarmarine surfcat package www.ceasarmarine.com
comes in at around 5,276.59p with a Honda BF30SHU can take a 50hp would suggest a prop guard 170.20p length is 4.10 metrs cat c waters passengers 3 225kg
Max passengers plus load 250kg

Also others to look at Arancia
Zodiac futura
Bombard
Achilles
Stingray vittesse
all come in around 3.8 to 4.4 and can handle a variety of engine sizes all capable of providing safety cover from the beach in site of land

Min crew required 2= helm and crew
Engine 30hp to 50 hp.
All the above and a couple more I have probably missed off are favoured by beach lifeguard units SLSA GB and the RNLI favour the Arancia
Andy Gratwick BKSA Training officer should give you the lowdown on what all the other schools use .
As I said we are having a kitesurf rescue seminar at Powerboat Training UK Poole in April try and come Andy is going to email all Instructors but a good time to share knowledge and see what the others are using as well as some hands on rescue practice.
Hope it has given you some food for thought.
Regards Tim
Old 02 January 2007, 15:07   #12

Town: south west
Length: no boat
thaks again for common sense advice tim

tim that is just the sort of guidance i am looking for. i need to cost this up to see if i can be 'fit' for it - if i can afford to be a safety boat operator. if wont be able, i need to know asap. well i think i can come in under budget on the initial purchase of the boat. the additional items i will be able to fund also

i think it's essential that i get to the training seminar at hayling island. are there spaces left? i had a look on the website link on the other thread but couldnt find the course on there. i want to do it so can you put me down for that?

its very pleasing that the BKSA is moving forwards like this

right. i'm going to start looking for a boat!

Old 03 January 2007, 03:29   #13
Trade member

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Hi Mick
Contact Paul Glatzel at Powerboat Training UK I dont think the seminar features on his website but if you speak to him or Viv they will point you in the right direction as to how to book it.
Paul has kindly offered to host the event in Poole April 21st Cobbs Quay.Andy Gratwick BKSA Training Officer is out of the country at the moment (Lucky Devil) but is going to call me reference the day's content cost for the day is 75 this will include boats, fuel , classroom facilities and the Kitesurfing equipment the idea is to make it as hands on as possible for all those attending should be a fun day.
Pauls contact details are as follows.
www.powerboat-training-uk.co.uk
email paul@powerboattraining.co.uk
Phone 01202 686666