DGR

Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
Console Venting and Bilge Alarm for Coding

To get my RIB coded I've got to do some modifications - I need to fit battery venting to my console, an audible bilge alarm from the engine box (auto pumps no longer in favour!!), and a fire extinguisher access point in the engine box.

For the vent, I assume that a 'hole' at the top with with a cover to stop water/spray getting in at the top will be OK to vent any battery gases.

For the bilge alarm, I'm fairly OK with the float switch side of it, but does anyone have any suggestions for the audible alarm on the console? Will something from Maplin do it, or do I need to get something more robust/purpose built?

For the fire extinguisher access, does anyone have any suggestion for where you can get them (the chandler looked slightly more vacant than usual this morning when I asked him!!)

Grateful for any help.

Cheers,

Dylan...
Old 17 May 2005, 09:52   #2

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
On my boat for the battery vent Halmatic fitted a chrome fuel breather fitting without an internal hose, this is designed to reduce the water coming in,it is fitted about 300mm up from the deck.
Depending on your wiring I would have thought that you could fit a buzzer across the pump supplier which will operate each time the bilge switch operated. Having said that you can buy a pump switch and panel that has all these features
For the extinguisher point they fitted a chrome deck water/ fuel filler fitting with ‘fire’ painted on it, this is positioned directly over the turbo.
Although my boat isn’t coded yet other P22s are and I understand that these feature were acceptable but I would run it by the Inspector just to be sure

How much was the inspection Des
Old 17 May 2005, 09:59   #3

Just found this, pump alarm but hurry Des
Old 17 May 2005, 12:10   #4
DGR

Des,

Thanks for that - will have a look!!

D...
Old 17 May 2005, 14:38   #5
DGR

Des,

Sorry - I didn't answer your question!!

I've been quoted £110 for the 5 year certificate + the survey fees. The fees depend on how many times the surveyor has to visit - so hoping to get it done in one go. They reckon on another £300 being average for the survey fee, so hoping for around £400 (assuming that the average needs more than one visit). Fingers crossed anyway.

So this weekend, I will be mostly fitting safety equipment......(or trying to work out where the pile of stuff in the lounge will actually go...)

D...
Old 17 May 2005, 14:49   #6

Des
Old 17 May 2005, 15:04   #7

Town: Plymouth
Boat name: 2XS
Make: Halmatic Pacific 24
Engine: 135hp Honda X2
Hi DGR

Just had my done to cat3 (with limitations) as for fire extingusher for the engine, i got an auto one inside and that was all that was required for that, no holes or flaps needed.

Hope this helps.

www.austinmarine.co.uk
Ian Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2005, 15:21   #8
DGR

Ian,

Each surveyor seems to have their own slight variations/interpretations on what is required - and I think that they try to suggest things that they have learned from their own experience - which I've found quite useful. The surveyor I spoke to suggested that I don't just rely on the auto bottle - they go off on their own quite often apparently!! - and if it was a powder one, change it quick!! (i.e. perfectly good engine running quite happily - bottle goes off accidentally - very sick engine very quickly!!)

I've got an auto (GTFE?) bottle in the box, which is fine, but the volume of the box, and the size of the bottle (and the fact that my vents don't close) has led them to suggest that I carry a big foam extinguisher as my second extinguisher, and have a couple of access points fitted to get it into the engine box. It's not a big hassle, and I'll have all the stuff down at the boat to fit the battery vent anyway!!

What limitations did you have for Cat 3 - I'm going for Cat 4 - I don't think I'd use the extra range or night use etc for what I'll be doing.

Cheers,

Dylan...
Old 17 May 2005, 22:18   #9

Town: Plymouth
Boat name: 2XS
Make: Halmatic Pacific 24
Engine: 135hp Honda X2
Hi DGR

The surveyor i had was brilliant, i have two additional extinguishers outside of the engine box, as for closeing the vents to the engine, mine suggested a couple of wet towels , i like that idea as it saved me making up hatches.

The limitations he placed on me were that i should be less than three miles out and passangers must wear floatation/dry or wet suits, ohh and keep in constant radio contact

Another sugestion mine came up with, is to store the liferaft towards the rear of the rib, as he has seen a few now that have destroyed themselves by all the bounceing around at the bow.

www.austinmarine.co.uk
Ian Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2005, 08:25   #10
DGR

Ian,

So far, my experience with surveyors has been that they are very helpful and useful people to have a chat with!!

I'm going to mount my liferaft on the back of the engine box, as that seems to be the place the rest of the RIB rotates about!! The liferaft people suggested that RIBs and liferafts don't get along because of the abuse they get - and recommended additional straps to hold it down!!

Hopefully everything will get fitted onto/into the RIB over the next week, and were due to be coded on June 1st - if everything goes to plan.

ANYWAY - off to B&Q to get a Dremel... and some new drill bits...

Dylan...