Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 17 February 2006, 11:53   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,400
This is a rant so donít read

I had the extreme displeasure of watching Seaside Rescue last night, which for me, epitomised all that is wrong with the BBC and rescue services.

On the one hand you have the BBC hyping up a non-event and on the other you have the rescue services justifying there existence

For those that missed it three of the life or death rescues were a woman who was feeling a bit sea sick a few miles from land, a paraglide who got his foil wet and was rope belayed up a gentle hill and a windsurfer two inches from the beach who was too lazy to pull his sail up

How any of these could be considered a rescue I donít know and why the BBC bothered to film it is beyond me.

Is there so little real drama in the world that the BBC have to make it up or are they guilty of being lazy and just canít be bother to go out and find something real to report

And as for the rescue services Des
__________________

__________________
Scary Des is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2006, 12:19   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: sunny south coast
Boat name: Pride of Bilboa
Length: 10m +
MMSI: 4
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 521
I didn't open your thread, and haven't read your post Des.. But, I thought the same.. The paraglider was a tad too smug after the "rescue"..
__________________

__________________
tony
tcwozere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2006, 13:13   #3
Member
 
Hightower's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 7,855
Yes, and I didn't think much of the Helicopter crew delivering a love note for the Captains girlfriend (who didn't look very impressed by the way) all in the name of an exercise .
__________________
Andy

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2006, 13:31   #4
Member
 
Country: Other
Town: Hayle, Kernow
Boat name: Spare RIB
Make: Narwhal
Length: 5m +
Engine: 130 Yam Outboard
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 642
How else can the BBC justify the purchase of a £3000 portable water proof camera on the IRB operatorís wetsuit?

That aside these guys do a fine job on the beaches Des, a number of my friends are IRB qualified lifeguards and Iíve seen them out in 6-10 foot of breaking surf pulling out crazy emitts who went for a swim with Red flags every where

Itís a life style yes but they really do make a difference, the problem is you only hear about the ones they didnít make it too.

Shaggy
__________________
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2006, 14:18   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Don't read this - what a great way to guarantee everyone will......

Missed the prog but know what you mean. Couple of months ago the Balmoral passenger ship hit an underwater obstruction as it was coming into Swansea - I was nearby so went for a nose.

Nothing to see at all apart from a few fire engines and the lifeboat they helped pump water out of the engine room.

Everyone left but the lifboat was still hanging around - I wondered why until a BBC crew turned up - then they came in at speed and boarded the ship!!!

What a dramatic sight!!!

They will do anything they can these days to bump up the statistics - we rescued x amount last year is what they like to boast. Don't they realise most people have so much repect for them they don't NEED to bump up the figures like this - in fact they run the risk of alienating themselves if people see all they ever do is tow someone home with a duff engine. It also gives rise to the mentality of - "no probs the RNLI will save us".

There are even loads of cases now where yachts are rescued because of engine failiure - despite the fact some traditional yachts still don't even have engines!!!
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2006, 18:55   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Kent
Boat name: Cygnet
Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 70hp 4* outbo
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 205
I was surprised to find we became part of Selsey lifeboatís statistics a couple of years a go, they reported on their web site that they were called out to a speed boat that had run aground. After pulling the boat into deeper water they escorted them & a dive boat that was in trouble back to Bracklesham bay.
The truth was a completely different story!
We were diving the Mixon hole when a speedboat turned straight towards the rocks & run aground, they didnít have a radio, they said they had done a lot of damage to their out-drive, & couldnít get their boat afloat. I radioed Solent coastguard to inform them of what had happened & gave their position, they called out the Selsey inflatable lifeboat which also ran aground on the rocks & had to be walked over to the speedboat. After they pulled the speedboat into deeper water our divers had come up. The lifeboat crew asked us if we would escort the speedboat back to Chichester. I explained that we were going back to Bracklesham not Chichester, & asked how far west we would have to go to get enough depth for the speedboat. We knew we were ok we only needed half a metre of water but didnít know how much the speedboat needed. They asked us to stay with them & the speedboat as far as Bracklesham just in case they needed any help.
__________________
Swanley Sub-Aqua Club
Jackwabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2006, 13:46   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Don't read this - what a great way to guarantee everyone will......
I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
It also gives rise to the mentality of - "no probs the RNLI will save us".

There are even loads of cases now where yachts are rescued because of engine failiure - despite the fact some traditional yachts still don't even have engines!!!
You are absolutely correct IMNSHO. The lifeboats should be a last resort and not a handy standby! I believe that there is a pnemonical difference. One is called a rescue and the other is termed a recovery. I was discussing the fact that it seemed a waste of resources to do recoveries and they should be charged for, but if this happens it jades the voluntary status therefore the thinking is it would affect contribooshuns.....something like that anyway. I am real glad they are out there however
__________________
Here it comes again, I don't stand a chance
Soul possession, Got me in a trance
Pullin' me back to you - Deja Voodoo
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2006, 13:56   #8
exspyrd trayd membir
 
The Garfish's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Town: inn wiliks hed
Make: Redbay 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Twin Etec 90hp
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave
I was discussing the fact that it seemed a waste of resources to do recoveries and they should be charged for,

inn dat caise yew ow de rlni bowt sikks thowsund kwid yew nobbur


gArf
__________________
luk arfter numbir wan, downt stepp inn numbir too
The Garfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2006, 04:29   #9
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy
Ho...
That aside these guys do a fine job on the beaches Des, a number of my friends are IRB qualified lifeguards and Iíve seen them out in 6-10 foot of breaking surf pulling out crazy emitts who went for a swim with Red flags every where
Shaggy
Oh come on, who wouldnít want to spend the summer rushing around the surf using someone elseís boat and petrol and then posing on the beach in a nice uniform But seriously, the lifeguards on the program were just building their parts up, the windsurfer wasnít in trouble and could have easily sorted out his own problems No doubt they will be put it down as a rescue

And as to rescuing emitts who are hell bent on killing themselves, you could argue that this does nothing for the future of the species, what was it Darwin said
Des
__________________
Scary Des is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2006, 05:19   #10
Member
 
Pete7's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 4,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary Des
No doubt they will be put it down as a rescue
Des
probably true. However all these exciting rescues do make good television for old grannies, who then remember the RNLI in their wills which pays for new lifeboats, which one day might be needed by someone on here.

Since the crews are volunteers, I think a little trumpet blowing is acceptable if it keeps them happy. Can't say I would want to go out on a January night into the teeth of a gale to search for someone who as you say has qualified for a Darwin Award.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary Des
Oh come on, who wouldnít want to spend the summer rushing around the surf using someone elseís boat and petrol and then posing on the beach in a nice uniform Darwin said Des
Des, you have to be careful saying things like that, quite a few peeps on here aren't eligible for RNLI Atlantics, despite there best dreams. Ask Jono he should know

Pete
__________________

__________________
.
Ribnet is best viewed on a computer of some sort
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:13.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.