Old 21 May 2016, 22:08   #1

RRS/Shogun/ANO for towing?

in light of my ribcraft weighing a LOT more than i was told at purchase time i have been looking for a new tow bus for few months now. won't bore with all the details but kia sorento and grand cherokees are a no go, if you have other recommendations fire away.

i've found a REALLY nice RRS 2.7 v6 so not the fastest bus i guess (not driven it), but reliability worries me i have to be honest...air suspension....gulp!

the shogun 3.2DI elegance is less bling but has more toys (nav, rev camera etc) which the RRS does not. i assume will be more reliable but not as nice to look at?

if anyone has a RRS/disco 3 or shogun (or anything else?) of 2008 ish vintage i would love to hear how you find them.
Old 21 May 2016, 23:20   #2

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Japanese is always going to be more reliable than landrover although usually heavier on fuel
Old 21 May 2016, 23:24   #3

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Land cruiser if you can find one, although heavy on fuel...... Will it be a daily driver & occasional tower? Or only used for towing duties?

http://www.rac.co.uk/drive/car-revie...cruiser/208604
Old 21 May 2016, 23:39   #4

won't be daily no, work is 35 miles away so be only for towing and general "good" car.

my current car (xtrail) is sitting at 49.9mpg so no matter what i change to will suck fuel wise so it won't matter what i get, i will just need to live with it.
Old 22 May 2016, 07:10   #5

Town: Fort William
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F115
RIBase
Not thought of something more practical like a crew cab pick up?
Old 22 May 2016, 07:18   #6
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Personally I'd keep the Xtrail for 'good', and buy a cheap diesel disco/Trooper/Cruiser/Navarra/L200 etc.

If you're mostly using a car for towing the boat, it won't stay nice for long without a lot of effort. Damp gear, damp people, sand, mud etc take quite a toll on something that's not run regularly to dry out.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2016, 07:37   #7

Town: Norfolk/Suffolk Borders
Make: no boat
I bought a SWB Shogun 3.2 DID new in 2004 , with reliability and great towing credentials as my main criteria . Apart from a new battery three years ago in that cold winter , it has never let me down . As NOs hints , it looked good for the first three years but now definitely more of a work-horse appearance .

In those twelve years I have had to change the rear discs twice , almost certainly through dunking in the briny , but few other hiccups . It has a 71 litre tank and I get about 280 miles if I'm towing or 360 miles if I'm not .

Some folk think they are a soft ride , with a bit of rolling in the bends , and I have heard " horror stories " of plastic tensioning gears giving up on the timing belt , but so far I would have no hesitation in treating myself to another.

I believe the SWB towing is restricted to 2.8 tonnes , and the LWB 3.5 , but when it comes to towing , just like the " Ronseal " advert , Shoguns do exactly what they say on the tin ..........
Old 22 May 2016, 08:08   #8

Town: west mids /tywyn
Boat name: HAWK
Make: RIBCRAFT/ Suzuki 250
Length: 7m +
Engine: Tohatsu 3.8/15hpsuzi
MMSI: 235086594
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
Japanese is always going to be more reliable than landrover although usually heavier on fuel

You having. Laugh
B.S. LEADER
tony t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2016, 08:26   #9

Length: 5m +
Disco 3 had reliability issues - had 2 of them and although everything was fixed under warranty it spent a lot of time in the garage.
Disco 4 is a different beast and I suspect the equivalent RRS will be the same. Had 2 and covered around 150k miles in them so far (cumulative) and only had to change consumables - tyres around 30k miles, disk pads and wiper blades. No issues at all.
Realistically you get 30mpg combined and that drops to 22 / 24 mpg towing.
Old 22 May 2016, 09:08   #10

Unfortunetly the twin cab thing wont work for me, needs to be one big cabin.

The plan is a decent 4x4 for weekend driving and a 1000 quid special for the 70 mile work trip every day.
Old 22 May 2016, 09:13   #11

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Thunder
Make: Halmatic Arctic 22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2 x 150 Etec
I had a LWB shogun. It was a comfortable big bus and came with all the toys you'll ever need, it is really thirsty, I was getting under 20mpg most of the time. Mine may have been a Friday motor, I traded it in at 70'000 miles with rust appearing on all the door frames and a dodgy auto box.

I would say that it towed with ease.
Old 22 May 2016, 14:09   #12

How heavy is the boat?

For the daily drive I have a works corsa van, 1.3cdti it does 500 miles to tank (small tank 45l) and is ok if it had ac and elec Windows I would be quite happy cheap as chips to maintain tyres are £40 corner! Just keeps going despite my better efforts just avoid the speed restricted ones...... But if your getting 50mpg from the X-trail then I would keep that and perhaps look at an older 4x4 for towing. Isuzu trooper perhaps very popular for dragging plant around. Or the pathfinder? The old Nissan patrol was a hell of a machine favoured by the UN along with the land cruiser

https://www.gumtree.com/p/nissan/stu...age/1170144558 Shame it's not leather.........
Old 22 May 2016, 14:51   #13

The boat and trailer are 2000kg, the xtrail can tow 2200kg so it is legal but gonna kill the clutch sooner or later but I love this xtrail. Seen so many knacked grand cherokee I'm thinking of just living with the xtrail
Old 22 May 2016, 15:11   #14

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
I have a 2010 shogan from new I have had 500 mile to the tank usually it's 420 towing 6 m rib around 320 to the tank mine has the new engine anything before that is thirsty done 117,000 now still s--t hot big old girl will pull a house down only down side I should have got the long wheel base for more room.

Cheers
Old 22 May 2016, 16:29   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
The boat and trailer are 2000kg, the xtrail can tow 2200kg so it is legal but gonna kill the clutch sooner or later but I love this xtrail. Seen so many knacked grand cherokee I'm thinking of just living with the xtrail
Not so bad then,moving from the x-trail toa carp box for 70 miles a day will ruin you. I would keep the x-trail and buy a it a new clutch!

When its time to replace it then consider something with a beefier towing capacity.....
Old 22 May 2016, 17:21   #16

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
That sounds like a good idea, better the devil you do know & a clutch is likely to be around £500 ish which isn't much compared to changing the car
Especially if your looking for a cheaper used example that your unlikely to know much about
Old 22 May 2016, 18:19   #17

A clutch and dmf is about 600 quid plus fitting for the xtrail... I'm thinking a grand?

What is amazing to me is how little power these big 4x4s have. I have only driven a few 3.0crd cherokee models and a sorrento but my xtrail has a lot more power, Wish nissan put a v6 diesel and low range in these things.
Old 22 May 2016, 18:32   #18

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
Quote:
A clutch and dmf is about 600 quid plus fitting for the xtrail... I'm thinking a grand?

What is amazing to me is how little power these big 4x4s have. I have only driven a few 3.0crd cherokee models and a sorrento but my xtrail has a lot more power, Wish nissan put a v6 diesel and low range in these things.

How much power does your Xtrail have? And how much do the Cherokee and sorrento have?
Old 22 May 2016, 18:57   #19

Quote:
Wish nissan put a v6 diesel and low range in these things.
Isnt that a pathfinder lol? Nissan Pathfinder SUV review | Carbuyer (Navara with a clsoed back and 7 seats)

£600 for a clutch and DMF isnt bad.........
Old 22 May 2016, 19:10   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69cmw View Post
How much power does your Xtrail have? And how much do the Cherokee and sorrento have?
Remap to 205hp and the cherokee is 215 I think and the sorrento felt like about 50! The problem with the cherokee was all 3 I bought or put a deposit on needed major work at 50k miles. Like diff and transmissions.

The pathfinder is a 4 cylinder 2.5, probably slow as heck too but it has low range auto box. The auto xtrail can only tow 1500kg