Old 15 April 2005, 12:27   #61

Town: Manchester - Abersoc
Boat name: MeMe
Make: SeaPro 595CC
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 115 4S
Send a message via MSN to MeMe
Yep, by the sound of it........

......Anyway, just back from filling the car with pertrol. Petrol station about 3 miles from office - did 30 mph all the way there and back. Got beeped at once and overtaken by a "white van man" who, obviously aware of this thread and wishing to demonstrate solidarity, threw me the victory sign.
Old 15 April 2005, 12:48   #62

Town: Inverkip
Make: Redbay 11m Cabin
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x Yamaha422Sti 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMe
........further. Has anyone ever been let off by a Police Officer for going something wrong. By that I mean, has common sense prevailed and the "Law" been put aside ?
yep 128mph on a Yamaha Fzr1100 at 0130hrs about 9 years ago, the very very nice polis said that I would only kill myself and that they had followed me for about 3 miles in the town where my speed was only 30mph, therefore I was a bad bad boy and not to do it again...........I never have
Andy
Old 15 April 2005, 12:49   #63

Town: Chelmsford/Anglesey
Make: Avon SR/RibLite 3.1m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda 30hp/Yam 8hp
Quote:
"my speed caused them to believe the vehicle may have been stolen" !
I think it was probably your scouse accent that led them to that conclusion
Old 15 April 2005, 12:52   #64

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Gee
yep 128mph on a Yamaha Fzr1100 at 0130hrs about 9 years ago, the very very nice polis said that I would only kill myself and that they had followed me for about 3 miles in the town where my speed was only 30mph, therefore I was a bad bad boy and not to do it again...........I never have
Andy
That is why DECENT traffic cops are worth more than any speed camera - I have had quite a few situations like this.

I ALWAYS used to drive really fast on national speed limit roads if it was safe to do so but would ALWAYS slow down in villages etc - now with speed cameras I find I am driving much faster in built up areas to compensate for being forced to slow down in safe areas - not right I know but that is what the speed cameras have done to my patience!!!
Old 15 April 2005, 12:55   #65

Now, lets expand it a little further..........

...........has anyone ever paid to be let off ?
Old 15 April 2005, 12:59   #66

No, but if I was a regular visitor to Eastern Europe I'd be sure to carry a spare sack of $$$$'s
Old 15 April 2005, 13:00   #67

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Quote:
...........has anyone ever paid to be let off ?
A friend of a friend (female) offered the policeman who stopped her a ‘good time’ in exchange for letting her off and ended up marrying him probably better to pay the fine des…..
Old 15 April 2005, 13:07   #68

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Gee
....Yamaha Fzr1100 ......
Andy
What he should have done was congratulate you on having a very rare 'bike...
Old 15 April 2005, 13:23   #69

Town: Kent
Boat name: Cygnet
Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 70hp 4* outbo
While everyone’s on the speed wagon have you noticed how much slower 30MPH is these days?
I remember back when I was a kid 30mph was unreachable on a bicycle where as now I follow cyclists every day doing 35mph to 40mph, and even I (an overweight tub of lard) as stated earlier have managed 45mph (going downhill) through a speed camera (I of course turned my head & at it so they could find me). Not only that but my first car back in 1972 (a Hillman imp) when doing 30mph used to rattle & shake so much it felt like more like 70mph, where as my Mondeo at 30mph feels more like walking speed.
Old 15 April 2005, 13:35   #70

The same can be said.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Davies
No, but if I was a regular visitor to Eastern Europe I'd be sure to carry a spare sack of $$$$'s
.......for most of the Middle East, India, Pakistan and other such under developed markets.

In India I (me and my agent) have paid our way out of numerous situations, most related to traffic violations but on one particular visit we attended an establishment akin to the "Fantasy Bar" where we enjoyed a lock-in, for want of a better description. Anyway, when leaving we were stopped by a van load of local police who took great glee in extracting around £70.00 from me instead of a night in the clink.

In Moscow they have a designated diplomatic lane running through the centre of most central Moscow streets. If you're caught using it you're fined. We use it all the time - the agent drives a big black Camry - but if the cops recognise your plates are not right, they stop you. $10 later any you're on your way.

In Syria, they have check points every 10 / 15 miles (defunked about 5 yrs ago) at which if they find anything wrong they fine you. Wrong can mean even a dogey light. Of course $2.00 later, yes $2, you're on your way.

Same old same old in most of the other places I visit. However - what about here in the U.K. Anyone had the balls to do it ? Or - perhaps you've been lead down the path to "offer" something ?
Old 15 April 2005, 13:38   #71

I think this is half.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackwabbit
have you noticed how much slower 30MPH is these days? my first car back in 1972 (a Hillman imp) when doing 30mph used to rattle & shake so much it felt like more like 70mph, where as my Mondeo at 30mph feels more like walking speed.
...........the trouble. Sound proofing, engine refinement, decent road surfaces, wider roads along with having become used to speed, make 30mph feel too slow.
Old 15 April 2005, 13:41   #72

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
.......for most of the Middle East, India, Pakistan and other such under developed markets.
...you can add Italy and Greece to that list of 3rd world countries that sometimes require payment of a "fine"..
Old 15 April 2005, 13:43   #73

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:

In Moscow they have a designated diplomatic lane running through the centre of most central Moscow streets. If you're caught using it you're fined. We use it all the time - the agent drives a big black Camry - but if the cops recognise your plates are not right, they stop you. $10 later any you're on your way.
I believe Tony Blair also has one of these on the M4!!!

Basically when HE was caught using the bus lane(yes on a motorway) it wasn't because HE was pissed off about having to queue it was for "security" reasons!!!

Wether it was because he was about to be attacked by Al Queda or angry motorists I am not quite sure!!!
Old 15 April 2005, 13:57   #74

Town: Kent
Boat name: Cygnet
Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 70hp 4* outbo
Quote:
...........the trouble. Sound proofing, engine refinement, decent road surfaces, wider roads along with having become used to speed, make 30mph feel too slow.
Whilst I would agree with you on some of these things I also ride a motorcycle & the bit about decent road surfaces, wider roads is in no way true. A lot of roads are being made narrower round my way what with introducing bus lanes, curb outs at bus stops & wider foot paths that spend 80% of there time empty. And as for decent road surfaces I’ve had smother rides on our 5.5m Assault in a force 6 off the south coast!
They have just resurfaced a section of good smooth road at Greenwich, now the drains & manhole covers are now 2-3” below road height & every join has a nice lip. Well done Greenwich!
Old 15 April 2005, 14:06   #75

Jack.......

............and all fellow riders - yes I'm one also. I could not agree more when 2 wheels are invloved. I was thinking more about motorways, dual carrigeways. Thankfully, around Manchester we don;t suffer as bad from pedestrian walkways, cycle lanes and bus lanes as you guys in the south. With regard to bus lanes - I think I'd be reasonably ok is saying there are very very few around here.
Old 15 April 2005, 14:16   #76

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
speed a contributing factor in most road accidents?

http://www.speed-trap.co.uk/Facts&Fi...gures_Home.htm interesting reading here, look at the TRL stuff have way down ‘…….What this means is that in 7.3% of the accidents, speed was one of many factors, and in only 6% of the accidents was it a definite causal factor’. Only 6% What can you say Des
Old 15 April 2005, 14:43   #77
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Note to the Forum Post Amendment Police:

Yes I have made a few minor edits to protect the guilty!

John
Old 15 April 2005, 16:23   #78

Town: mansfield
Length: no boat
Send a message via MSN to osprey__viper
Sorry for the delay in replying, im only limited to 56mph Have all you lot had friday afternoon off???????

Anyway, Lorries tailgateing no excuse for it whatsoever, unless youre in a hurry and tryin to do the slip stream thing Most times you cant pull in to lane two on a M/way cos the muppetts allready there dont look any further than the end of there bonnet. It pains me to say that some of my so called "proffesional" collegues are the worst drivers on the road. I had to have a go at one the other night cos he was being stupid. As for being limited, yes it can get frustrating but you learn to sit back engage the cruise control, put the kettle on ( ) and slot an ac/dc cd in the stereo. That way you dont have an heart attack or a GBH conviction cos someone has pissed you off.

As I said at the start of this thread, if the government insist on this form of generating revenue, then they should put it back in to training.

Now being let off by the plod. Allways. Why?? cos I used to ride out on me GSX-R with the notts force instructor who was allways tooled up with his Ducati and his warrant card

Dont get me wrong, after years of driving rally cars, riding fast bikes, the last being a Honda Blackbird, driving a vectra sri, I love speed, its the best. But there is a time and a place. I am a firm believer in training. I passed the IAM test and went on to become a Senior observer for bikes, and I still believe that this is the best education any motorist can have. Try it, you might like it

Any way I'll be on the M11 at approx 11.30 on monday heading for chelmsford, I'll try not to hold you all upp

Martin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scotish sammy 2.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	11353  
Old 15 April 2005, 16:35   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by osprey__viper
Any way I'll be on the M11 at approx 11.30 on monday heading for chelmsford, I'll try not to hold you all upp
Good on you for taking it all in such good humour, Martin - we did give you boys a bit of a pasting Would have expected nothing more from a fellow biker
Old 15 April 2005, 20:24   #80

Town: Cornwall
Length: no boat
Quote:
‘…….What this means is that in 7.3% of the accidents, speed was one of many factors, and in only 6% of the accidents was it a definite causal factor’. Only 6% What can you say Des
What I'll say about those figures is that in relation to fatal/serious accidents they are totally irrelevant!
That said I agree with them, sure driver error is the main cause of the accident but it's the speed of the resultant accident that does the damage,anyone been on the dodgems recently? that's a recipe for carnage surely, actively encouraging you to ram into each other in a vehicle, and why isn't it carnage? because your restricted in your speed.
Imagine that every vehicle in the Uk was restricted to 5 mph, how many fatal accidents do you think there would be? I know thats a ludicrous and ridiculous suggestion (and after all it would only save about 3,500 lives a year, )
Now don't get me wrong I think the placement of some speed cameras is a scandal, if they where there to warn/discourage speeding they should all be well signposted with countdown markers rather than behind road signs on revenue raising straight safe sections, my point however is simple
-Speed Kills-
Now get out there and give that Rib a thrashing
Kernow