Lol.....

........"God given".........
Old 15 April 2005, 10:29   #42

Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkWildey
HGV drivers, they have a bl**dy hard job and are without doubt the best drivers on the road. There are always the exceptions but that is the same for everything.
I'm sure it is a hard job and I'm sure some of them (including Martin, of course) are excellent drivers but I would like to know why so many of them tailgate one another on the motorway? Last week it was almost impossible to join the M6 because the lorry drivers had created a moving 'wall' with gaps far too small to pull into safely. It was the same when I wanted to leave the motorway - a wall of lorries that prevent you from seeing the signs advising of an approaching junction and from then leaving the motorway, unless you kow the road well enough to pull in behind them a couple of miles before the junction you need!

I really would like to know (Martin, or any other HGV drivers out there) if there is a reason for this or is it just bad driving?

Edit: sorry for going a bit off-topic but it's kind of related!
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2005, 10:42   #43

Town: Kent
Boat name: Cygnet
Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 70hp 4* outbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMe
let us all perform a little experiment the next time we get in the car. Wheather you be a Judge, Police Commissioner or the pal of a road accident victim, I believe it is impossible to maintain the speed limit at all times. I've tried it and it just is impossible (for me). One either has a lapse in concentration, gets caught up in the flow of traffic or as is often the case feels badgered by a tailgating driver. It's life, there's no escaping it.
You want to try this by first reaching the correct speed for the stretch of road, then getting your passenger to cover the speedo for 15mins. I think you would be very surprised how much your speed has changed in only a small time, especially if you come across a down hill stretch (and we all know they put cameras at the bottom of hills just for this reason).
I’m sure most people wouldn’t object if these menaces were used for what they were intended for, its just that most authorities blatantly place them in positions to raise revenue & I don’t care how much they say they are not THEY ARE!
Here are just a few examples,
Speed camera goes up in Tonbridge wells, & a week later the largest cycle path sign goes up only a foot in front of the camera so its impossible to see it until you are next to it.
A20 near Sidcup speed camera is placed behind another road sign with its supporting post hidden behind one of the other posts.
At the bottom of nearly every hill just in case your speed should creep up, I have rolled past one of these on a push-bike at 45mph in a 30mph zone without even trying (my brakes were smoking).
A2 heading towards London, Rochester way relief road, there is one tucked up behind a wall on a left hand bend again this one can only be seen a few yards away from it.
They have just put 2 new ones go up on a road near me, followed by notices stating “13 incidents in the last 3 years”, people who have lived near these cameras for over 20 years have never seen an accident so where has this information been dreamt up from?
And the list could go on & on, I’m afraid all the time this sort of thing goes on more & more people get more & more resentful against them.
I have nothing against the police, & I for one would like to see more police out there stopping the dangerous drivers, rather than pop a camera up to catch someone who may stray a few MPH over the limit because they are concentrating on what’s going on around them.
Old 15 April 2005, 10:48   #44

Town: Chelmsford/Anglesey
Make: Avon SR/RibLite 3.1m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda 30hp/Yam 8hp
Quote:
Actually I utmost respect for HGV drivers, they...are without doubt the best drivers on the road.
Oh, really? Take a trip down the 2-lane section of the M11 in Essex and watch them pull out to overtake each other on one of the numerous hills, crawl past for 2 miles, cause traffic to back up for bloody miles and generally create mayhem. About time the Highways Agency started using the same system employed in Germany where, in periods of heavy traffic, overhead gantries flash up no overtaking signs for lorries - works like a dream and allows all those criminals in S-class Merc's and Audi A8's to continue their journeys unimpeded at speeds which would blow up the heads of most UK motorists.

And I don't care how many courses Traffic Plod has been on or how big the blue lights are on his Volvo T5 - he's no more capable of avoiding an accident at 120mph if granny pulls out on him in lane 3 than anyone else is.
Old 15 April 2005, 10:50   #45

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
Martin

Actually I utmost respect for HGV drivers, they have a bl**dy hard job and are without doubt the best drivers on the road.
Bollocks...... and that's speaking as an LGV driver,Operator,EFADS qualified driver, car driver and motorcyclist.
Old 15 April 2005, 10:55   #46

Town: Kent
Boat name: Cygnet
Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 70hp 4* outbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Davies
Oh, really? Take a trip down the 2-lane section of the M11 in Essex and watch them pull out to overtake each other on one of the numerous hills, crawl past for 2 miles, cause traffic to back up for bloody miles and generally create mayhem.
Have you noticed this has been getting worse over the last few years, I wonder why that is?
Could it have anything to do with all HGV’s being restricted to the same top speed now?
Old 15 April 2005, 11:03   #47

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Oh, really? Take a trip down the 2-lane section of the M11 in Essex and watch them pull out to overtake each other on one of the numerous hills, crawl past for 2 miles, cause traffic to back up for bloody miles and generally create mayhem. About time the Highways Agency started using the same system employed in Germany where, in periods of heavy traffic, overhead gantries flash up no overtaking signs for lorries - works like a dream and allows all those criminals in S-class Merc's and Audi A8's to continue their journeys unimpeded at speeds which would blow up the heads of most UK motorists.

And I don't care how many courses Traffic Plod has been on or how big the blue lights are on his Volvo T5 - he's no more capable of avoiding an accident at 120mph if granny pulls out on him in lane 3 than anyone else is.
Maybe if you had some stupid speed limiter fitted you would do the same - must be as frustrating as hell - no wonder so many of them fall asleep at the wheel - I would as well if I had to stick to 50mph!!!

On the 2nd comment couldn't agree more.

When are people going to realise the majority of people who harp on about speeding being the root of all evil are the worst sort of drivers? THEY are the ones who hog lanes - tailgate - speed in built up areas because they "never go over 40mph" etc etc.

On another note why is it these days people will indicate left coming off a roundabout but they refuse to indicate right when they are going around it??? Now I could understand people who are just too lazy to bother but why just indicate to leave??? Especially when they decide to turn right in the left hand lane which also seems to be getting more and more common!!!
Old 15 April 2005, 11:06   #48

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
On another note why is it these days people will indicate left coming off a roundabout but they refuse to indicate right when they are going around it??? Now I could understand people who are just too lazy to bother but why just indicate to leave??? Especially when they decide to turn right in the left hand lane which also seems to be getting more and more common!!!
I like it in India where they use their hazard lights to indicate the are going straight on Des
Old 15 April 2005, 11:11   #49

By the way, just as an aside, why is it that in the UK virtually no bugger flashes you coming the other way to warn of an impending mobile speed trap? I suspect it is a paranoid fear of being prosecuted for perverting the course of justice or something equally inane, or perhaps more sinisterly, a malicious desire to see a fellow motorist caught for speeding. This is in stark contrast to other European countries I've driven in where speed traps are viewed with equal cynicism as here, but where drivers invariably flash dementedly at you. I've noticed this is particularly prevalent in Eire, France, Holland, Italy and, God forbid, in law-abiding Austria. I was also particularly amused to learn from a business associate in Italy that the lenses of Gatso cameras there are frequently shot out with handguns Not that we'd be able to do that over here because of course handguns have been banned
Old 15 April 2005, 11:17   #50

Town: Manchester - Abersoc
Boat name: MeMe
Make: SeaPro 595CC
Engine: Mercury 115 4S
Send a message via MSN to MeMe
I've been around the.........

.....World and back again and having visited more countries than I can recall, the best flowing traffic is in those where there are absolutely no rules - or at least ones that anyone abides by. Syria / India / Vietnam being the best of the worst, if you get my drift.
Old 15 April 2005, 11:21   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
On another note why is it these days people will indicate left coming off a roundabout but they refuse to indicate right when they are going around it??? .....Especially when they decide to turn right in the left hand lane which also seems to be getting more and more common!!!
Codders, I'm warming to you more and more! This is my pet hate Numero Uno - nothing impedes the flow of traffic on roundabouts more than these t*ssers and, apart from women of course, it seems to be more prevalent among younger drivers, who you'd think would have the Highway Code fresher in their minds.

Accept the point about the tedium induced by speed-limiters and I sympathise with them, but I'm convinced some HGV drivers just overtake because they're bored reading the same telephone number on the tarpaulin of the rig in front.
Old 15 April 2005, 11:23   #52

I think it's a.......

Quote:
By the way, just as an aside, why is it that in the UK virtually no bugger flashes you coming the other way to warn of an impending mobile speed trap?
.......South thing mate. Let me assure you, up here, people will purposefully stop their car at the side of the road and flash every bugger who passes. In Liverpool I once spotted a cop car flash oncoming traffic to advise the same - honest
Old 15 April 2005, 11:25   #53

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
http://www.speedcam.co.uk/gatso2.htm it has been posted before but I love it, …when I’m feeling low, I simple visit this favour site and then I don’t feel so low.... Des Day
Old 15 April 2005, 11:26   #54

Let's stretch this thread a little..........

........further. Has anyone ever been let off by a Police Officer for going something wrong. By that I mean, has common sense prevailed and the "Law" been put aside ?
Old 15 April 2005, 11:29   #55

Quote:
Let me assure you, up here, people will purposefully stop their car at the side of the road and flash every bugger who passes. In Liverpool I once spotted a cop car flash oncoming traffic to advise the same - honest
Can't believe that, Graeme. Been driving in North Wales for nearly 20 years and never seen it. In fact all the points bar three I've ever acquired (not as many as you I hasten to add!) have been in North Wales. NEVER been flashed there once
Old 15 April 2005, 11:32   #56

Sorry Phil......

.......I'd agree. As you know I do quite a few miles in that neck of the woods and that is where all, baring 3 of my points were accumilated. I will clarify my first observation by saying North West, especially in Liverpool and surrounding scouse provinces.
Old 15 April 2005, 11:44   #57

Quote:
Has anyone ever been let off by a Police Officer for going something wrong. By that I mean, has common sense prevailed and the "Law" been put aside ?
Yep, once. Ironically, it was the most dangerous and insane piece of driving I've ever undertaken. Was being held up by an ancient, clapped out blue Vauxhall Carlton in the middle of Chelmsford a couple of years ago in the week before Christmas. He was actually driving at a steady 20mph or so and I'd been stuck behind him for about a mile. I was in the TVR at the time so when the lights at a pelican crossing turned green I took the opportunity to blast past him in a 30mph limit. Unfortunately, a gave it a bit too much welly with the right boot and set the car into a minor power slide (as you do with a TVR ) as I was overtaking him, but continued on and into the road where I live. You can imagine my horror when I caught a glimpse of said Vauxhall right up my chuff with blue lights flashing in his grill

The guy (traffic cop) got out and went mental - in fact he was trembling with rage. He said that it was the most dangerous piece of driving he'd ever witnessed and that if I'd hit anyone I'd be looking at a timely spell at a hostelry of Her Majesty's choosing. And then, in an instant, he changed his demeanour completely, told me I seemed like a reasonable chap, it was nearly Christmas, and that he was feeling in a charitable mood. Naturally, I complimented him hugely on his generosity and promised faithfully never to do it again. And I haven't - I've never once power slid a car in the middle of a built-up area since.

Point is though, the extent of the bollocking received was sufficient to put the fear of God into me and it's given me a lot more respect for the traffic police than any laser trap sited on a motorway bridge will ever do.
Old 15 April 2005, 11:58   #58

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Length: 7m +
Engine: Optimax 225
Yeh, got stopped driving a car once where the only thing not illegal on it was the tyres. Nothing else worked (lights, broken windscreen, engine smoking so much it was obscuring the carriageway, wheel nuts missing).

It was taxed & insured though.

Quote:
........further. Has anyone ever been let off by a Police Officer for going something wrong. By that I mean, has common sense prevailed and the "Law" been put aside ?
Old 15 April 2005, 12:05   #59

About 3 years ago..........

..............whilst negotiating several back street left and right turns I used my handbrake along with the aid of firmly packed snow (you know the stuff they never clean away in the sideroads) to turn each and every corner (about 7).... by the time I'd got through to the last bend I'd become quite good ! Anyway...there behind me was Mr 4x4 Rangy Plod who'd been following the "turn of events" forgive the pun !

As with P D I got such a fright and such a bollocking that the chap realised I was a decent enough sort and sent me on my way with a flea in my ear.

However, on the flip side.... my last 6 points were collected on the infamous A55 in Conway. It was Sunday morning 0715 and I was, believe me or not, on the way home from Aber' to attend church. Anyway, poor old Amelia was throwing her guts up "Exorcist" style as I passed under the bridge doing 72 mph - so I was later advised by the two southern bobbies in a Volvo who pulled me.

I hoped out of the car with Amelia still throwing her guts up in full view of the Officer. I simply said, I was not looking at my speed - just in flow with the other car in front of me - my daughter is ill - sorry.

His reply was "you have the right etc...."

Some 30 minutes later whilst still in the back of his car he breathalized me (not been drinking) asked me to prove who I was - told me that they "heard me coming" - I was in a VW Golf and that "my speed caused them to believe the vehicle may have been stolen" ! What a load of Boll***.
Old 15 April 2005, 12:20   #60

Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
Quote:
Recently he advised me that one of his pals (non force) was stopped and booked for crossing a mini roundabout whilst turning right, allowing more than 1/3rd of his vehicle to mount the same. Now, we're talking about one of those tiny little white painted things here, not a large grassy knoll. What sence is there in that ?
I've just got back from shopping and there's one of these little painted roundabouts on my route. There is absolutely no way any vehicle other than a bike could make a right turn without mounting (steady!) the stupid thing! So I risk being prosecuted every time I go shopping?
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote