Old 17 September 2004, 20:26   #101
TIM

Town: Dublin
Boat name: WIZARD
Make: REDBAY 7.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: OPTI 225
Dont Forget The Guinness

HAHAHAHA , I was Laughing writeing that post !!!

Gavin is right WONKA BAR construction ........ You need the warrenty......

I agree with the piont about the old cart springs , on the back end of the L200...... and torson bar on the front, its proably down to money savings form Mitsui........

Still at least L200 is like a car inside intead of a LR look of a 1945 Zetor tractor OH and did I mention that in a L200, that the steering wheel, seat and pedals all are on the same axes !!!!

L200 L200 L200 L200 ...... everytime... well execpt if you want to drive to the top of Ben Nevis or drive into the middle of some remote Bog ?????

ahahahah who is giving me green pionts a lashing ????

Old 18 September 2004, 07:59   #102

Town: Beverley
Boat name: TBA
Make: Unknown
Length: 6m +
Engine: Tohatsu 8Hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
I believe you can get them chipped (well, I say chipped, it might be a fuel pump upgrade!). If you're interested I'll get more info from where I got that snippet.
There's a company called Twisted Performance in N yorks, who were doing a special edition 'Gale Force' landrover 90 TD5 with 200BHP. Mods were uprated intakes and filters with better air flow, 3" stainless low backpressure exhaust and a new chip. The entire kit was available to buy, but not cheap, however the chip itself was 450. This chip is switchable, if it's turned off the engine runs on the original ECU, unfortunately there are dire warnings about switching it with the engine running! Not sure (all right I am sure!) about the longevity of the engine with this much power.

http://www.twistedperformance.co.uk/

"I'm not lost, I'm exploring...."
roohairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2004, 08:35   #103

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
[QUOTE=gavin] They arnt even comparable, not in the same league, Jap stuff is over engineered, r and d backed, thouroughly tested, you can just picture them in the Defender factory bolting on the exhaust when the dinner bell goes and coming back after lunch and starting something else before finishing the last thing!

Is that why my Suzuki Jeep rusted through in no time - my mates Shogun cracked the head and another mates Shogun had to have a recon autobox at 70,000 miles????
Old 18 September 2004, 14:09   #104

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Cod I think it depends how you drive them.

We have an L reg DAIHATSU 2.8TDL Fourtrack. We have this vehicle from new. The jeep has done 130000 miles todate (3 times has come to Greece and back to the UK towing a 5, 7 and 8 mtr RIBs respectively all fully equipped and with engines) and so far we changedand the battery and the thermostat and that was this year.
By the way we change the oil 2ice a year rather than every 3000 miles unless we drive it long distances i.e. UK/Greece/UK where we change the oil when we reach each destination.

DAUHATSU THE BEST JEEP EVER
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2004, 15:11   #105

Not just how you drive them Manos but how you service them as well.

Land Rovers DO need more looking after - more grease nipples and oils to change etc! Another prob is that Land Rovers lead a very hard hard life - when someone then buys a s/h one they wonder why they get probs.

I have noticed our local councils - Police - Water Board and all the others who own them tend to keep their Land Rovers a LOT longer than their normal vehicles - all the vans and cars etc are changed every 3 yrs at most but I have seen loads of older Landies still in use.

You rave about the 4 track - they aren't bad but a bit rough and ready - it is only very recently they stopped using leaf springs - Land Rover stopped in 1983!

As i have mentioned before the toughest use of any 4x4 has to be the cockle pickers from Penclawdd who drive out across the deadly mud flats and salt marshes every day - their Land Rovers were only lasting a few years because of all the salt water so they all started using JAP stuff - now they are ALL back using Land Rovers - and that is true!
Old 18 September 2004, 15:28   #106

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
The Fourtracks are Jeeps not Motorway vehicles. Similar to the old Landies
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2004, 16:12   #107

Town: Dublin
Boat name: wizzard
Make: REDBAY
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 optimax
untouchables

The real problem here is lets be honest, because the landy is Uk built oh oh it has to be good it has to be,
To the experts leaf springs arnt a bad idea, they work, thats why Mitsi use them, also in 2002 the l200 motor was modified extensivly, fuel pump mods, turbo mods, ecu mods, air handling sensors etc, etc, this is the japs fortay.

If this is all that you can knock l200s with then I am afraid there is no argument,Landys are an enthuaist vehicle
you have to throw money and time at them.I would say the guy who decided Landys should have a warranty was probably demoted very quickly, he cost the company a few quid, just look at their resale value ,its a joke

WHEN THE CAT IS AWAY THE MICE GO TO REDBAY..............
gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2004, 17:17   #108

Town: Cippenham
Boat name: Falcon1
Make: Falcon
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115hp Mariner Four S
MMSI: 235021077
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin
The real problem here is lets be honest, because the landy is Uk built oh oh it has to be good it has to be,
To the experts leaf springs arnt a bad idea, they work, thats why Mitsi use them, also in 2002 the l200 motor was modified extensivly, fuel pump mods, turbo mods, ecu mods, air handling sensors etc, etc, this is the japs fortay.

If this is all that you can knock l200s with then I am afraid there is no argument,Landys are an enthuaist vehicle
you have to throw money and time at them.I would say the guy who decided Landys should have a warranty was probably demoted very quickly, he cost the company a few quid, just look at their resale value ,its a joke
I was getting bored with this thread but people keep making statements that almost insist on a reply...What experts think that cart springs are good?
Like i said the L200 uses an old design engine, thats why it needs loads of mods and you are correct it is a jap forte, loads of their engines are based on old blocks. Who says you have to throw money at them?...after 96,000 miles in my 110 TD5 i have spent not a single penny other than servicing (at 12,000 mile intervals) and a set of tyres after 95,000 miles that cost me 450.00. and as for warrenty LR give a three year parts and labour plus a six year bodywork guarantee....and finally...Land Rover have one of the best resale values you could find....some joke?
Old 18 September 2004, 17:52   #109

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Daniel, you don't have to make any decisions, just don't bother setting the alarm clock on Monday and as if by magic a new L/R will appear on your drive in 12 weeks time. Problem solved.

Pete
Old 19 September 2004, 15:00   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin

How the hell can you say the resale value is a joke??? The only reason I was looking at a NEW TD5 Defender was because a 2nd hand one was not far off the price of a new one! The Defender holds it's value better than almost any other vehicle - granted Range Rovers etc don't but then neither does almost any luxury car.

Nobody has a better reputation than Audi and yet their best car - the A8 loses money like you wouldn't believe - almost 60k new - 2 yrs old about 23k - makes a GREAT 2nd hand buy but if you get a new one you are insane!