Old 18 September 2004, 00:26   #101
TIM

Town: Dublin
Boat name: WIZARD
Make: REDBAY 7.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: OPTI 225
Dont Forget The Guinness

HAHAHAHA , I was Laughing writeing that post !!!

Gavin is right WONKA BAR construction ........ You need the warrenty......

I agree with the piont about the old cart springs , on the back end of the L200...... and torson bar on the front, its proably down to money savings form Mitsui........

Still at least L200 is like a car inside intead of a LR look of a 1945 Zetor tractor OH and did I mention that in a L200, that the steering wheel, seat and pedals all are on the same axes !!!!

L200 L200 L200 L200 ...... everytime... well execpt if you want to drive to the top of Ben Nevis or drive into the middle of some remote Bog ?????

ahahahah who is giving me green pionts a lashing ????
Old 18 September 2004, 11:59   #102

Town: Beverley
Boat name: TBA
Make: Unknown
Length: 6m +
Engine: Tohatsu 8Hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
I believe you can get them chipped (well, I say chipped, it might be a fuel pump upgrade!). If you're interested I'll get more info from where I got that snippet.
There's a company called Twisted Performance in N yorks, who were doing a special edition 'Gale Force' landrover 90 TD5 with 200BHP. Mods were uprated intakes and filters with better air flow, 3" stainless low backpressure exhaust and a new chip. The entire kit was available to buy, but not cheap, however the chip itself was £450. This chip is switchable, if it's turned off the engine runs on the original ECU, unfortunately there are dire warnings about switching it with the engine running! Not sure (all right I am sure!) about the longevity of the engine with this much power.

http://www.twistedperformance.co.uk/

"I'm not lost, I'm exploring...."
roohairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2004, 12:35   #103

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
[QUOTE=gavin] They arnt even comparable, not in the same league, Jap stuff is over engineered, r and d backed, thouroughly tested, you can just picture them in the Defender factory bolting on the exhaust when the dinner bell goes and coming back after lunch and starting something else before finishing the last thing!

Is that why my Suzuki Jeep rusted through in no time - my mates Shogun cracked the head and another mates Shogun had to have a recon autobox at 70,000 miles????
Old 18 September 2004, 18:09   #104

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Cod I think it depends how you drive them.

We have an L reg DAIHATSU 2.8TDL Fourtrack. We have this vehicle from new. The jeep has done 130000 miles todate (3 times has come to Greece and back to the UK towing a 5, 7 and 8 mtr RIBs respectively all fully equipped and with engines) and so far we changedand the battery and the thermostat and that was this year.
By the way we change the oil 2ice a year rather than every 3000 miles unless we drive it long distances i.e. UK/Greece/UK where we change the oil when we reach each destination.

DAUHATSU THE BEST JEEP EVER
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2004, 19:11   #105

Not just how you drive them Manos but how you service them as well.

Land Rovers DO need more looking after - more grease nipples and oils to change etc! Another prob is that Land Rovers lead a very hard hard life - when someone then buys a s/h one they wonder why they get probs.

I have noticed our local councils - Police - Water Board and all the others who own them tend to keep their Land Rovers a LOT longer than their normal vehicles - all the vans and cars etc are changed every 3 yrs at most but I have seen loads of older Landies still in use.

You rave about the 4 track - they aren't bad but a bit rough and ready - it is only very recently they stopped using leaf springs - Land Rover stopped in 1983!

As i have mentioned before the toughest use of any 4x4 has to be the cockle pickers from Penclawdd who drive out across the deadly mud flats and salt marshes every day - their Land Rovers were only lasting a few years because of all the salt water so they all started using JAP stuff - now they are ALL back using Land Rovers - and that is true!
Old 18 September 2004, 19:28   #106

Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
The Fourtracks are Jeeps not Motorway vehicles. Similar to the old Landies
Old 18 September 2004, 20:12   #107

Boat name: wizzard
Make: REDBAY
Engine: 225 optimax
untouchables

The real problem here is lets be honest, because the landy is Uk built oh oh it has to be good it has to be,
To the experts leaf springs arnt a bad idea, they work, thats why Mitsi use them, also in 2002 the l200 motor was modified extensivly, fuel pump mods, turbo mods, ecu mods, air handling sensors etc, etc, this is the japs fortay.

If this is all that you can knock l200s with then I am afraid there is no argument,Landys are an enthuaist vehicle
you have to throw money and time at them.I would say the guy who decided Landys should have a warranty was probably demoted very quickly, he cost the company a few quid, just look at their resale value ,its a joke

WHEN THE CAT IS AWAY THE MICE GO TO REDBAY..............
gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2004, 21:17   #108

Town: Cippenham
Boat name: Falcon1
Make: Falcon
Engine: 115hp Mariner Four S
MMSI: 235021077
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin
The real problem here is lets be honest, because the landy is Uk built oh oh it has to be good it has to be,
To the experts leaf springs arnt a bad idea, they work, thats why Mitsi use them, also in 2002 the l200 motor was modified extensivly, fuel pump mods, turbo mods, ecu mods, air handling sensors etc, etc, this is the japs fortay.

If this is all that you can knock l200s with then I am afraid there is no argument,Landys are an enthuaist vehicle
you have to throw money and time at them.I would say the guy who decided Landys should have a warranty was probably demoted very quickly, he cost the company a few quid, just look at their resale value ,its a joke
I was getting bored with this thread but people keep making statements that almost insist on a reply...What experts think that cart springs are good?
Like i said the L200 uses an old design engine, thats why it needs loads of mods and you are correct it is a jap forte, loads of their engines are based on old blocks. Who says you have to throw money at them?...after 96,000 miles in my 110 TD5 i have spent not a single penny other than servicing (at 12,000 mile intervals) and a set of tyres after 95,000 miles that cost me 450.00. and as for warrenty LR give a three year parts and labour plus a six year bodywork guarantee....and finally...Land Rover have one of the best resale values you could find....some joke?
Old 18 September 2004, 21:52   #109

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Daniel, you don't have to make any decisions, just don't bother setting the alarm clock on Monday and as if by magic a new L/R will appear on your drive in 12 weeks time. Problem solved.

Pete
Old 19 September 2004, 19:00   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin

How the hell can you say the resale value is a joke??? The only reason I was looking at a NEW TD5 Defender was because a 2nd hand one was not far off the price of a new one! The Defender holds it's value better than almost any other vehicle - granted Range Rovers etc don't but then neither does almost any luxury car.

Nobody has a better reputation than Audi and yet their best car - the A8 loses money like you wouldn't believe - almost £60k new - 2 yrs old about £23k - makes a GREAT 2nd hand buy but if you get a new one you are insane!
Old 19 September 2004, 19:37   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Nobody has a better reputation than Audi and yet their best car - the A8 loses money like you wouldn't believe - almost £60k new - 2 yrs old about £23k - makes a GREAT 2nd hand buy but if you get a new one you are insane!
Similar to RIBs then
Old 19 September 2004, 20:08   #112
DM
RIBnet supporter

Boat name: Little Wing
Make: Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90
As this is a b0ating f0rum, y0u might like t0 apply h0w these vehicles adapt t0 t0wing a b0at. The l200 has a really wide turning circle in reverse and is a bugger t0 reverse a largish b0at int0 a tight sp0t.

S0rry ab0ut the big zer0es. My '0' butt0n is fecked.

DM
Old 19 September 2004, 20:20   #113

Town: Chelmsford/Anglesey
Make: Avon SR/RibLite 3.1m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda 30hp/Yam 8hp
So, Dan, it's make-your-mind-up time. And just to help you along with the decision, may I remind you once more of the list of forum members advocating the purchase of the Land Rover 110 Double Cab:

Alan, Chrisallse, Willowkis, Nick Hearne, Codprawn, Jono, Pete7, Phil Davies, Dave Manning, DGR, Steedthrust and Philip.

And, in the Mitsubishi L200 camp we currently have, wait for it................
2 Irishmen and a Greek.

I rest my case
Old 19 September 2004, 20:21   #114

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
No competition

Missus
Old 20 September 2004, 06:14   #115

Phil you forgot the Russian Mafia too

But I can only say from experience that my FOURTRACK will strugle a VERY little bit to take the 7mtr Falcon out of the water on a trailer in the sand and that the turning sircle of this Jeep is very wide so it has a problem with tight corners.

That the Mitsubishi (this new short wheel based jeep they made) cannot even move the Falcon on trailer from the sandy beach, may be the L200 can.

On the other hand the 1978 (is an antique in Greece by the way) 4 speed Land Rover I have (currently working with 7 out of the 8 cylinders) is a BEAST!! Tows anything out of anything, the turning circle is quite tight therefore good in cornering and in the tight little roads I have to manouver to take the boat in and out is GREAT.
Old 20 September 2004, 18:16   #116

Town: london
Boat name: Frances May
Make: vailant DR450
Length: 4m +
Engine: mercury 50 hp
Send a message via Yahoo to Daniel TD5
and the out come

thank you for all your comments

after a test drive and final talks with the landrover dealer they were unable to compete with mitsubishi sad to say

as it said in the book please check availability with your landrover dealer
and what i wanted was not availabile to me with in my buget or time scale

i will say the defender will last longer climb moutains swim rivers

but thats not what i want. if it was the same price it would be worth it just to be cool but my l200 is a famliy truck we go on hoilday in it.
i drive 20 k a year for my company on motorways and around london.
i need to keep things in the back with a lock on it. and pull my small rib up a wet slipway from time to time and the l200 will do that in style

i would have had the landrover but for some mad idear they are only build to order 12 to 16 week the part ex would be based on my trucks worth in 16 weeks time the APR was 11,9 % 5% for mitsubishi

so i am sorry untill landrover awake to market forces or get into the same market that all other crew cabs are in they will lose out and 19k + vat per truck is a big loss

so i will have to go with the boss wife 2 irishmen and a greek bloke by the name of manos
Old 20 September 2004, 18:19   #117

Town: Cippenham
Engine: 115hp Mariner Four S
Let me be the first to give my condolences Daniel L200
Old 20 September 2004, 18:28   #118

Town: Cippenham, Berkshire
Engine: 115 hp Mariner Four
I'll be second.....

Kim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Daniel L200.gif
Views:	178
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	8331  
Old 20 September 2004, 18:46   #119

Boat name: wizzard
Make: REDBAY
Engine: 225 optimax
Well done throw your tools away you wont need them now, its big of Landrover to give such a long corrosion warranty, they make the body panels from alumininum hence the long life, dont worry about the turning circle, " apparntly its only in reverse" ... the fix is easy, two anodised threaded stops at each wheel, adjust until you show 3 or 4 threads, hey presto, huge turning circle improvement.At least the guys who make "Heartbeat" wont be calling up to you looking for your l200 for a drive on spot on the series, they havent got out of the Sixties yet , so your l200 is safe, its just as well Landrover dont build Optimaxes , we would be all fuc...
Also the people from Japan say thankyou.............
The guys in the Landrover Plant are still havnt heard yet, remember Sixties technology they only have wirless, and no pc s yet so they havnt heard

good luck PADDY THE GREEK

WHEN THE CAT IS AWAY THE MICE GO TO REDBAY..............
gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2004, 19:17   #120
TIM

Boat name: WIZARD
Make: REDBAY 7.4
Engine: OPTI 225
You Wont be Disipionted with the L200, I do about 20k a year, and thank God it not in the first cusion of a tractor a.k.a Defender

The two Paddys recomnding the L200, Have one each... so WE know how good they really are !!!!