Old 11 November 2005, 18:47   #141

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmanning
That's the Roadcraft system only we used the word 'hazard' for 'information'.

The system used by the Codprawn School of Motoring is.......

Hazard, gear, position, gear, speed, gear, acceleration, gear, gear,gear, big braking event, visit to the garage for a new gearbox, taxi home.

DM
I have NEVER wrecked a gearbox in my life - maybe it is because I know how to match the engine revs to the box for a nice smooth change.....
Old 11 November 2005, 18:51   #142

Length: no boat
Ha!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpeg
Views:	268
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	15650  
Old 11 November 2005, 18:55   #143

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
I have NEVER wrecked a gearbox in my life - maybe it is because I know how to match the engine revs to the box for a nice smooth change.....
codders.....do you ever stop and think what people might think of you and why so many folks take challenge the seemingly endless dribble that eminates from your pc at a frustrating rate of knots.

You do talk utter crap at times, and other times you word things in a way that gets peoples backs up at every opportunity, now and then you come up with something sensible as statically you will get some things right from time to time with the amount you write. But, you always have to come across as the big expert..........and you are a nobody hiding behind a name that noone has met and dreams of buying a boat...........get a life!!!!
Old 11 November 2005, 18:56   #144
DM
RIBnet supporter

Boat name: Little Wing
Make: Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90
Quote:
I know how to match the engine revs to the box for a nice smooth change.....
You'd probably be a lot smoother with a double declutch..........or even a cluchless gear change if you're that good at matching revs.

DM
Old 11 November 2005, 18:56   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by hard1
Ha!
haha love it

and where is yours matey boy.......mine is full of bricks but laughing here
Old 11 November 2005, 18:56   #146

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Man!! That is Kevved out of sight! The Evo thang!
Old 11 November 2005, 18:58   #147

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Everlong
Make: Botnia Targa 27
Engine: Volvo KAD44
Quote:
I am on about the sort of driving they use in tests etc to get the quickest 0-60mph times - you would NEVER drive a car like that day in day out - hence my comments about an auto can be quicker in the real world!!!

Competition and testing put stresses on cars that most people never will. The Stig managed to destroy TWO BMW M5 diffs on the track a few months ago - yes 2 cars and 2 knackered diffs!!!

I was present when 2 911s destroyed their clutches trying for record 0-60 times. And there were plenty of other cars doing exactly the same.

Maybe the NEW 911 turbo is 4wd - they never used to be - as to spinning the wheels like that at 5000rpm that is my whole point - too few revs and the engine will bog down - too many and you get excessive wheelspin or a stall - the only way with a 4wd turbo to get MAX acceleration is to slip the clutch to keep the boost up.

I don't think you quite grasp the difference between driving quickly and going for the last fraction whilst testing!!!
more crap.

5 more lines of crap. your'e on a roll here:

1. I drive my car to the limit every day where and when safe to do so. This includes being a bit of a boy racer "off the lights" more frequently than a grown man should admit to. I also hammer the sh** out of the car round tracks v frequently with people far more knowledgable about cars than you and I and I can say with hand on heart that I drive the car to my (not the car's) limits pretty much every day. So your "you would NEVER drive a car like that day in day out" is just wrong. End of story.

2. M5 uses a seven speed sequential manual gearbox, an entirely different concept to either standard manual or auto boxes.

3. Clearly a professional day's testing then. Neither EVO magazine, Top Gear Magazine or Car magazine managed to screw up clutches when testing the 911 turbo or turbo s.

4. 911 turbo has been 4wd for some time - certainly the 993 and 996 have both been 4wd, although without doing codders google research I couldnt say if the 993 was the first turbo varient with 4wd. Either way its at least a decade.

5. Trust me codders, I do.
Old 11 November 2005, 18:59   #148

Quote:
You'd probably be a lot smoother with a double declutch..........or even a cluchless gear change if you're that good at matching revs.

DM
Double declutches aren't needed with synchro boxes - and yes there are plenty of occasions when I do a clutchless change - all depends on the vehicle and the situation.
Old 11 November 2005, 19:01   #149

Quote:
Double declutches aren't needed with synchro boxes - and yes there are plenty of occasions when I do a clutchless change - all depends on the vehicle and the situation.
Old 11 November 2005, 19:03   #150

My little boys Godfather (the guy that had his boat nicked and got it back at Hayling island) imports Skyline GTR's into NZ. By just re-mapping them they produce 450bhp, of which one I drove which was bloody scarey! He has wound his up to produce 850bhp!! He straight line competition drags it.
Old 11 November 2005, 19:05   #151

Quote:
I usually only perform a clutchless change when the clutch is F'ked!!
Old 11 November 2005, 19:05   #152

amazing cars

dont know how they get so much power out of what are relatively small capacity engines - saw photos of the new gtr that nissan will bring over here in a couple of years, looks the d's b's.
Old 11 November 2005, 19:06   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by donutsina911
more crap.

5 more lines of crap. your'e on a roll here:

1. I drive my car to the limit every day where and when safe to do so. This includes being a bit of a boy racer "off the lights" more frequently than a grown man should admit to. I also hammer the sh** out of the car round tracks v frequently with people far more knowledgable about cars than you and I and I can say with hand on heart that I drive the car to my (not the car's) limits pretty much every day. So your "you would NEVER drive a car like that day in day out" is just wrong. End of story.

2. M5 uses a seven speed sequential manual gearbox, an entirely different concept to either standard manual or auto boxes.

3. Clearly a professional day's testing then. Neither EVO magazine, Top Gear Magazine or Car magazine managed to screw up clutches when testing the 911 turbo or turbo s.

4. 911 turbo has been 4wd for some time - certainly the 993 and 996 have both been 4wd, although without doing codders google research I couldnt say if the 993 was the first turbo varient with 4wd. Either way its at least a decade.

5. Trust me codders, I do.

1. You must have an amazing car then - racing cars tend to be rebuilt on a frequent basis as they fall part when you subject them to such stresses.

2. I was on about the diffs - NOT the box!!!

3. Yes the car mags DO manage to screw up 911 clutches along with many others.

4. Porsche STILL make the 911 turbo.

5. 100%

You seem to miss the point here - I actually PREFER manual boxes - why are you attacking me and not the other people on here who made statements saying autos were better???
Old 11 November 2005, 19:06   #154

This week I will mostly be performin' clutchless changes.
Old 11 November 2005, 19:12   #155
DM
RIBnet supporter

Boat name: Little Wing
Make: Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90
Quote:
Double declutches aren't needed with synchro boxes
True, but it does make the change smoother.

Quote:
there are plenty of occasions when I do a clutchless change - all depends on the vehicle and the situation.
I thought you had 'empathy' with the vehicle.

DM
Old 11 November 2005, 19:16   #156

Talking of which, here's a little motor I used to straight line in the '80's. Yes, that's me lurking there with white (oh my god) shoes...

and yes, it had an auto gearbox (nicely back on thread) GM Turbo Hydra 400 as fitted to the Bentley/Rolls Royce I believe, and with mods to make it ratchet shift (as in sequential shifter) it took over 600hp regularly without grief. Manual cars with Lenco boxes (separate lever per gear) were marginally quicker, so what did we do? Fitted a manual clutch which operated on first gear only to get it off the line - then auto the rest of the way. Wish I hadn't, broke everything from shafts to ring gears all for 2 X 1/10s of a second. Oh well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chevette3small.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	15651  
Old 11 November 2005, 19:17   #157

Quote:
1. You must have an amazing car then - racing cars tend to be rebuilt on a frequent basis as they fall part when you subject them to such stresses.

2. I was on about the diffs - NOT the box!!!

3. Yes the car mags DO manage to screw up 911 clutches along with many others.

4. Porsche STILL make the 911 turbo.

I know, I drive one and I'm on the waiting list for the 997 variant. What's your point?

5. 100%

You seem to miss the point here - I actually PREFER manual boxes - why are you attacking me and not the other people on here who made statements saying autos were better???
1. nope just a standard 911
2.why, the thread is about gearboxes?
3.really - name one?
4. I know, I drive one and I'm on the waiting list for the 997 variant. What's your point?
5. Unfortunately I cant return the compliment.

and codders, I'm not missing the point at all. I've stood up for you in the past, in particular when someone started becoming a bit too personal, but on this issue, in my opinion, you are wrong. Wrong about not being able to drive a manual car to it's limits without breaking it, wrong about auto's being quicker than manuals and wrong about porsches. I know the square root of f*ck all about ribs (hence why I try and keep my gob shut and learn on this forum) but I'm a porsche anorak and it grips my shit when you refuse to back down when so obviously incorrect.
Old 11 November 2005, 19:18   #158

Quote:
True, but it does make the change smoother.

I thought you had 'empathy' with the vehicle.

DM
Yes - quite possible to change without any nasty noises without using the clutch - depends on the vehicle and gearbox.
Old 11 November 2005, 19:21   #159

Ok you lot, check out
the " Codprawn, do we love him?" thread and give us your thoughts!
Old 11 November 2005, 19:22   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by donutsina911

it grips my shit