Boat name: Blue Marlin
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
Cheaper fuel?

Has anyone looked at:

www.pipelinecard.org

It looks like they are going to use sheer volume of numbers to get enough buying power to get one of the big petrol chains to give fuel discounts to card holders. With the amount of fuel that we burn each year between us - I thought it might be useful.........

Dylan...

P.S. It costs nothing to register!!
Old 25 February 2006, 03:11   #2
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Considering the price we are currently paying for fuel for the trucks by using bunkercards (87p/litre up against 93-94 on pumps) I think they are onto something. I've registered.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2006, 03:27   #3

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Good idea but how much will you save? Prob nothing at Tesco or Sainsbury but maybe you will get sensible prices at motorway services and small outlets.

I was very annoyed by the FIRST comment they make

"All those involved in the oil business are getting their cut from the inflated prices we're paying on the forecourts - the oil-well owners, refineries, filling stations"

At least they then go on to say

"On top of that, the government siphons off nearly 70p per litre in tax."

Be fair to the oil companies 25p per litre is not exactly a rip off when they have to find it - extract it - then distribute it!!!

On the other hand what the government are STEALING off us is a scandal....
Old 25 February 2006, 08:51   #4

Town: Dublin
Boat name: wizzard
Make: REDBAY
Engine: 225 optimax
On the other hand what the government are STEALING off us is a scandal....

These constant attacks and allegations towards your own Government are getting a bit old now
If you wish to live in the Uk you will bow down to your Governments , legistation and tax rules.
Like it or not we are all paying excessive fuel prices, in part thanks to Western Democracies railroading across the Middle East.
When someone comes on here with a fuel saving idea, they have got to be commended.
The Uk tax take is very necessary to provide the services UK residents take for granted

WHEN THE CAT IS AWAY THE MICE GO TO REDBAY..............
gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2006, 09:47   #5
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin
These constant attacks and allegations towards your own Government are getting a bit old now
The Uk tax take is very necessary to provide the services UK residents take for granted
Well said Gavin! But its not as dramatic as moaning about governments "stealing" from us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codprawn
I was very annoyed by the FIRST comment they make

"All those involved in the oil business are getting their cut from the inflated prices we're paying on the forecourts - the oil-well owners, refineries, filling stations"
But that is true... whilst the tax might be the biggest element everyone in the "chain" is still making a healthy profit.
Old 25 February 2006, 10:45   #6
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin
If you wish to live in the Uk you will bow down to your Governments , legistation and tax rules.
Like it or not we are all paying excessive fuel prices, in part thanks to Western Democracies railroading across the Middle East.
When someone comes on here with a fuel saving idea, they have got to be commended.
You don't have to live with it.

The only services that have been improved appear to be the kind of stuff the poor suckers working for a living don't get the time to use anyway.

I would like to point out that the labour party is only in power over here because of the current electoral system. There were actually MORE votes for the conservatives-ie MORE THAN HALF OF THE VOTERS IN THIS COUNTRY DON'T WANT THIS GOVERNMENT IN POWER and EXERCISED THEIR 'DEMOCRATIC' RIGHT TO SAY SO.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2006, 11:25   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart
Well said Gavin! But its not as dramatic as moaning about governments "stealing" from us!

But that is true... whilst the tax might be the biggest element everyone in the "chain" is still making a healthy profit.
Healthy profit?

Take 70p away from 95p and you are left with 25p!!! This has to be split with the retailers - the delivery people and the refiners. Oil rigs etc don't come cheap!!!

Even if the oil companies were charities and GAVE AWAY the fuel we would STILL be paying £3.18 a gallon in TAX!!!

Of course if you run two jags and don't pay for your own fuel you don't give a toss but if you don't earn much money and have to commute any sort of distance it hurts - lots!!!
Old 25 February 2006, 13:11   #8
DGR

Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
Hmm...OK fair enough - we pay too much for fuel - government rips us off, etc etc etc - but that isn't likely to change, is it!?!

So if the card saves 5 or 10p a litre, then that's good, isn't it?

Or are we saying that we'll carry on paying the high prices so that we can complain about it?

If the card works, and people switch to whichever chain is offering the discount, then that will start the ball rolling (others will have to reduce their prices to compete, or offer cards etc). Once that happens, and the oil companies profit margins start to suffer, THEN they might go to the government and start to argue about profits and taxation...not before.

It's not trying to save the world, just trying save people some money!!

D...
Old 25 February 2006, 17:37   #9

Not having a go at you DGR - just so pissed off every time I put fuel in the tank!!!

Of course saving ANYTHING on fuel is great - but I don't think you will get much cheaper fuel with a card than you will find at the supermarkets.

the advantage of a fuel card is that you get supermarket prices at motorway services and smaller petrol stations who don't have the buying power of Tesco etc. Remember the supermarkets sell almost at cost to pull in customers to their stores. There is more profit on a mars bar than there is on gallon of petrol......
Old 25 February 2006, 18:48   #10

Town: sunny south coast
Boat name: Pride of Bilboa
Length: 10m +
MMSI: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Of course saving ANYTHING on fuel is great...
Try buying summat that does more than 18mpg..

Old 25 February 2006, 18:56   #11

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcwozere
Try buying summat that does more than 18mpg..

tc, you took the words right outa my mouth.
Old 25 February 2006, 19:09   #12

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Everlong
Make: Botnia Targa 27
Engine: Volvo KAD44
why should we? lets all ride fking push bikes, use our great public transport network or drive those crappy hybrid things just because this shower of shit government decide to pull motorists' pants down? Find a 4x4 that'l tow a decent sized rib and be good on fuel consumption and I'll eat my bobble hat.
Old 25 February 2006, 19:27   #13

The 18mpg is the fuel consumption of Codders vehicle that isn't used to pull his rib.. For non-rib towing usage, if your using summat that gets less than 20mpg, the last thing you should be doing is whinging on about the cost of fuel..
Old 25 February 2006, 19:48   #14

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Everlong
Make: Botnia Targa 27
Engine: Volvo KAD44
in my humble opinion that is bollocks tc.

One of the upside's of living in a democracy is that we are able to complain, rant, rave and whinge about what we want, within reason (providing it doesnt offend muslims) and one of the things that grips my shit is the tax this goverment imposes on us, both overtly or sneakily without many of the population figuring this out.

One of my cars does circa 50mpg, the other does less than 10 on a bad day -this is neither here nor there when deciding what I can whinge about - furthermore, given that a high proportion of users on this forum have outboards that can do in 60 ltrs of fuel in an hour, it kind of makes your 20mpg benchmark for whinging a bit silly.

I guess the flip side of living in a democracy is that most people seem to be stupid / ignorant / apathetic and hence we have TB as our PM.
Old 25 February 2006, 20:02   #15

The discussion is about vehicles, and not ribs, so that comparison is the definitive example of talking bollocks.. Yep, we are allowed to whinge about whatever we want, thats the advantage of living in a democracy.. However, complaining about the price of summat in one thread, and then commenting on the low mpg of your vehicle would strike anyone with a tad of commonsense as nothing more than hypocrisy..

As for being either stupid/ignorant or apathetic, fortunately I don't fit into any of those three categories, as I don't pay for the diesel I use, people like you do..
Old 25 February 2006, 20:02   #16

Quote:
The 18mpg is the fuel consumption of Codders vehicle that isn't used to pull his rib.. For non-rib towing usage, if your using summat that gets less than 20mpg, the last thing you should be doing is whinging on about the cost of fuel..
I have an old Rover 420 diesel we have left over which I use on a regular basis that does 48mpg - I use this for long journeys when I am not leasing vehicles.

My 110 V8 does about 16mpg average which I only use occasionally.

The Discovery I have just bought does 30mpg.

The buses I see in Swansea that are TOTALLY empty not only do about 10mpg but have special lanes built for them as well.....
Old 25 February 2006, 20:04   #17

Besides which I CAN currently afford to run my vehicles - what about my poor mate who has just got divorced - has custody of his kids and has had to give up work for a while to look after them?

He is REALLY struggling - ask him what he thinks of the fuel price and his poor kids when he can't afford to take them places!!!
Old 25 February 2006, 20:10   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
My 110 V8 does about 16mpg average which I only use occasionally..
yeah, I kinda guessed that Codders, my comment was a light-hearted piss-take regarding your two comments posted with a week or so of each other..
Old 25 February 2006, 20:10   #19
pop

Town: Paihia
Make: Scorpion
Engine: indoard yam 420 sti
Donutsina911 you are so right. i completely agree
Old 25 February 2006, 20:20   #20

Quote:
yeah, I kinda guessed that Codders, my comment was a light-hearted piss-take regarding your two comments posted with a week or so of each other..
No probs - lets face it anyone who runs a power boat can't take fuel economy very seriously - and to think the greens target 4x4s!!!