Old 25 February 2006, 20:28   #21

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Everlong
Make: Botnia Targa 27
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD44
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcwozere
The discussion is about vehicles, and not ribs, so that comparison is the definitive example of talking bollocks.. Yep, we are allowed to whinge about whatever we want, thats the advantage of living in a democracy.. However, complaining about the price of summat in one thread, and then commenting on the low mpg of your vehicle would strike anyone with a tad of commonsense as nothing more than hypocrisy..

As for being either stupid/ignorant or apathetic, fortunately I don't fit into any of those three categories, as I don't pay for the diesel I use, people like you do..
beg to differ tc - discussion is about fuel (or more specifically about a fuel card that can be used to purchase fuel at forecourts for cars, ribs, lawnmowers or whatever takes your fancy) so the comparison isnt bollocks.

The comparison between mpg was made to show that the rate of consumption matters not one iota in my opinion and doesnt add or detract from my strength of feeling on this governments taxation policies - far from hypocritical.

Wasnt for one minute suggesting that you fell into one of those categories, although if you voted for this government there is a possibility that you do in my Conservative opinion.

As for paying for fuel, wrong again tc - 95% of my rib fuel is paid for by the paying public, the other by my wife. Car fuel... wrong again, paid for by my company.

anyway, interesting people in the boozer calling...
Old 25 February 2006, 20:58   #22

Town: sunny south coast
Boat name: Pride of Bilboa
Length: 10m +
MMSI: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by donutsina911
As for paying for fuel, wrong again tc - 95% of my rib fuel is paid for by the paying public, the other by my wife. Car fuel... wrong again, paid for by my company.
There you go again.. Misunderstanding comments made in a post.. I never enquired about who paid for your fuel, I pointed out people like you pay for my fuel..

And no, I didn't vote for our current prez, I maybe a lot of things, (most of which are prolly unprintable..,) but I ain't an idiot..
Old 25 February 2006, 23:39   #23

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Old 25 February 2006, 23:41   #24

Donuts, take a tablet. It was a wee wind up of codders, that's all.

Man, you need to look after your heart!
Old 26 February 2006, 07:11   #25

Quote:
There you go again.. Misunderstanding comments made in a post.. I never enquired about who paid for your fuel, I pointed out people like you pay for my fuel..

And no, I didn't vote for our current prez, I maybe a lot of things, (most of which are prolly unprintable..,) but I ain't an idiot..
I may have misunderstood this line of your garbled post, but you're still wrong - people "like me" do not pay for your fuel unless its indirectly and you work for the govt etc. Sure you must dip into your pocket for fuel for that orange avon of yours too...
Attached Images

Old 26 February 2006, 07:13   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker
Donuts, take a tablet. It was a wee wind up of codders, that's all.

Man, you need to look after your heart!
my heart is great thanks - other than stress of losing (deservedly) to scotland in the rugby.
Old 26 February 2006, 07:14   #27

My garbled post?? ummm, yeah. For someone who posted this..

Quote:
why should we? lets all ride fking push bikes, use our great public transport network or drive those crappy hybrid things just because this shower of shit government decide to pull motorists' pants down? Find a 4x4 that'l tow a decent sized rib and be good on fuel consumption and I'll eat my bobble hat.
To then comment on someone else's else garbled post..

Tell you what, you stick to spouting on about freedom of speech and being allowed to whinge about this, that and everything else.. And then being able to tell people their talking bollocks when they post something you disagree with.. But something you misunderstood in the first place.. ok??
Old 26 February 2006, 07:28   #28

Quote:
I may have misunderstood this line of your garbled post, but you're still wrong - people "like me" do not pay for your fuel unless its indirectly and you work for the govt etc. Sure you must dip into your pocket for fuel for that orange avon of yours too...
Here you go.. (its not that garbled..)

"as I don't pay for the diesel I use, people like you do.."

Just for the record, my Avon has a Yamaha petrol outboard, which as far as I know, won't run on diesel..

And just for you donuts, some V simple pieces of posting advice..

1. Read the post properly, (maybe get a dictionary for the long words.)
2. Answer the post based on the posts relevant information.
3. Don't answer the post based on things you don't understand.

Any help?
Old 26 February 2006, 09:08   #29
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
I'd like to point out at this juncture that I'm getting 36 to the gallon from my 4x4...

And 25L/hr from my rib....

AND I STILL F**CKING HATE BLIAR!

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2006, 10:04   #30

My response that you have quoted above may be vulgar, but it's hardly garbled and was responding to your post:

"Try buying summat that does more than 18mpg.. "

I was just trying to make the point that we shouldnt be in a position where we need to consider alternative means of transport because of the governments tax policy. Democracy means I can say this, it also means that you can disagree and people can make up their own minds who is right.

So, I didnt misunderstand your post or the orgins of the thread.
Old 26 February 2006, 10:08   #31

Quote:
Here you go.. (its not that garbled..)

"as I don't pay for the diesel I use, people like you do.."

Just for the record, my Avon has a Yamaha petrol outboard, which as far as I know, won't run on diesel..

And just for you donuts, some V simple pieces of posting advice..

1. Read the post properly, (maybe get a dictionary for the long words.)
2. Answer the post based on the posts relevant information.
3. Don't answer the post based on things you don't understand.

Any help?
Thanks Tony, thats super. I'll invest in a dictionary for long words, wont disagree with anybody on this forum and refrain from posting on a subject that is so complex I clearly could never comprehend it as well as you.
Old 26 February 2006, 10:41   #32
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
I was just trying to make the point that we shouldnt be in a position where we need to consider alternative means of transport because of the governments tax policy.
Why not?

Surely the purpose of tax policy is
  1. to raise money
  2. to encourage more effective use of the resources we have (or penalise those of us, like everyone (?) here, who chooses to waste/consume that resource for their own pleasure).
There can be no denying that three of the major issues facing the world today and in the net 20 years are intimately related to oil:
  • the middle east situation
  • climate change
  • availability of affordable energy.
I'm not some tree hugging greenpeace member - but I don't see why high taxation on fuel is fundamentally wrong as it must discourage waste/make people consider fuel ecconomy/penalise those of us who are using fuel for pleasure. I'm not suggesting that the current government or opposition have necessarily got the balance right with where the revenue earned goes and I do believe there is a greater need for investment in public transport. But I think we all need to be aware of the impact of our fuel usage on the world (polically, ecconomically and environmentally) and I think the only real way to do that is through taxation.
Old 26 February 2006, 10:57   #33

good points polwart...I believe the govts approach to fuel taxation isnt motivated by any of those factors and see it as their way of getting easy cash from people with few alternatives.
Old 26 February 2006, 11:01   #34
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart
Why not?

I'm not some tree hugging greenpeace member - but I don't see why high taxation on fuel is fundamentally wrong as it must discourage waste/make people consider fuel ecconomy/penalise those of us who are using fuel for pleasure.

Problem is, the great majority of low-paid workers (ie the people who actually keep the country RUNNING-stacking shelves, packing stuff in warehouses etc) are stuck to fixed shift patterns where public transport isn't an option as it simply isn't economically OR environmentally viable so they HAVE to use some form of personal fuel-burning vehicle just to get to work at all.

For example, to get to any of the major industrial estates aound here then you have to either
1)Live directly on the primary bus route or
2) Take an hour and a half to travel under 5 miles as the crow flies, while actually travelling 10 miles via the main bus terminal and waiting in the freezing cold/dodging used needles and alkies etc etc.

If you're doing 6-2, 2-10 or 10-6 shifts then forget about it-no public transport at ALL at 4.30am, not enough to get you home at 10pm as it all stops at 11pm... and it's neither financially or ecologically viable to take 5 people in a bus that does LESS than 10mpg...let alone safe for the poor bastard that has to drive the bus and pull into the bus station at 11pm with a bag of cash.

All this touting of public transport as the solution to all our ecological problems if we simply throw enough money at it is idealistic bullshit and a dangerous tool that the government uses to sting all of us. Unfortunately the ones that really do get stung the worst are the poor sods that really don't have any options and without them the entire country would fall apart.

Lets face it, you can't build a house without the foundations.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2006, 12:18   #35

Quote:
good points polwart...I believe the govts approach to fuel taxation isnt motivated by any of those factors and see it as their way of getting easy cash from people with few alternatives.
Agreed.
Old 26 February 2006, 12:24   #36

Quote:
my heart is great thanks - other than stress of losing (deservedly) to scotland in the rugby.
Old 26 February 2006, 13:09   #37
DGR

Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Not having a go at you DGR - just so pissed off every time I put fuel in the tank!!!
I didn't think you were having a go - and I'm quite thick skinned anyway (or is that thick headed?...I'll ask the wife...)

D...
Old 26 February 2006, 13:20   #38

Quote:
Gotta agree with that.. If they invested 1/10th of the revenue raised by the motorist on public transport, we could all be provided with personal jet packs..
Old 26 February 2006, 20:58   #39

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart
Why not?

[/list]There can be no denying that three of the major issues facing the world today and in the net 20 years are intimately related to oil:
  • the middle east situation
  • climate change
  • availability of affordable energy.
I'm not some tree hugging greenpeace member - but I don't see why high taxation on fuel is fundamentally wrong as it must discourage waste/make people consider fuel ecconomy/penalise those of us who are using fuel for pleasure. I'm not suggesting that the current government or opposition have necessarily got the balance right with where the revenue earned goes and I do believe there is a greater need for investment in public transport. But I think we all need to be aware of the impact of our fuel usage on the world (polically, ecconomically and environmentally) and I think the only real way to do that is through taxation.
Just before the Iraq fiasco and the hunt for the so called WMD the oil price had collapsed - $14 a barrel - now it's $60 - says it all really!!!
Old 26 February 2006, 21:36   #40

Town: Solent
Quote:
As for being either stupid/ignorant or apathetic, fortunately I don't fit into any of those three categories, as I don't pay for the diesel I use, people like you do..

Please explain the not paying for fuel comment do you steal it?