Originally Posted by codprawn
Asbestos is a class 1 carcinogen - as are many other products we use every day.
Also in the list
Bitumen fumes(hot tar)
The risk from Asbestos is way over rated. Obviously some types of asbestos are a lot worse than others but the majority of stuff people encounter in their houses etc is the much safer version.
Sanding down Artex would not be a good idea but scraping will be quite safe. Just wear a dust mask - breathing in ANY form of dust is not good for you!!!
So now you're an expert on Asbestos?
What you have just suggested is dangerous and stupid.
The risk from Asbestos overated? "THE MUCH SAFER VERSION?"
Never heard so much cr*p.
Asbestos kills.FULL STOP.
When you talk about the "safer version" I'm guessing your thinking of crysotile (white asbestos). Most commonly used type of asbestos and can be found in artex (together with Amosite or brown asbestos), asbestos insullating board and asbestos cemment based products such as roofing sheets.
The import and use of crysotile was BANNED in the UK in 1999 because of the cancers it can cause, non of which can be cured. The gestation periods for these cancers can be as little as 10 years or as long as 65 years.
If I had artex in my house I would either have a licenced asbestos contractor come in and remove it under controlled conditions (safe but very expensive) or i'd coat it in water / PVA mix and have it skimmed over with a caltite plaster (safe but cheaper!)
Up to you if you want to take Codprawn's advice Tim but personally I wouldn't have the risk of airbourne asbestod fibres in my house or around my family.