Old 22 July 2005, 08:58   #11
Town: Torquay
Make: Bayliner
Length: 5m +
Engine: I/B 3L
Originally Posted by MeMe
However, 100 pictures or so prior to only a mnth or so ago the camera took great shots regardless of all the above
Could it be the CCD and lense assembly have got out of alignment then, or one is loose causing the focal plane to move ?

I would have thought the Casio service lab would have found this though

TQBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2005, 09:22   #12
Town: Cippenham
Boat name: Falcon1
Make: Falcon
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115hp Mariner Four S
MMSI: 235021077
Coulb be Aberrations in the lens caused by the light hitting the lens from the side (the angle of the shadows look as though the sun is faurly low) I dont think it is camera shake because the available light is high so the camera would be operating at a high shutter speed. Try taking a series of shots of the same thing from different angles and with the sun behind you.

chrisallse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2005, 10:14   #13
Town: Enfield, Co Meath
Boat name: no name
Make: Zodiac Pro
Engine: Suzuki 115
Send a message via AIM to lc0021 Send a message via MSN to lc0021 Send a message via Skype™ to lc0021

were you by any chance using flash ?

This can happen when using flash in bright light - you get a 'ghost' image which has been exposed by the flash superimposed on the normally exposed image... though I've only ever seen it in manual cameras....

Shouldn't happen if the flash is set to 'Fill' mode...

worth a check though...
lc0021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2005, 09:42   #14
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Originally Posted by MeMe
.....the forum comes through with all the info required. Thanks chaps.

There's a lot of good tips noted above, upon receipt of my camera bac from Casio I'll try them all. In the meantime they continue to advise "no fault found" therefore it must be me !

As for the 2 touch shutter release button - yep know this - thanks anyway.

Shutter speed - I'll check it.

Tripod - I'll try it.

However, 100 pictures or so prior to only a mnth or so ago the camera took great shots regardless of all the above - I think I'll just bin it and get another

If the camera was working fine before it is obviously buggered no matter what they say!!! I would complain a lot more and mention trading standards etc - that usually does the trick!!!

If you decide to buy a new camera please look at

Brilliant reviews!!!

My personal choice of camera would be the Panasonic Lumix - the lens really is awesome - a Leica 12x optical and it's stablised which is essential at maximum zoom!!! Equivalent of a 35 to 420mm!!! It is easily the most camera for your money. The Fuji range are also particularly good!!!
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2005, 09:58   #15
Town: Poole
Length: no boat

What was the shutter speed of the camera in the sampled picture. Are you a heavy drinker that hadn't had a drink for a few hours

Looking at the image it seems that the camera has been moved down, as the ghosting is always above the main image. I suspect that a slow-ish shutter speed and/or a small delay from pressing the shutter until the picture is taken and you then moving the camera down to review th image.

Were you on an auto setting or a custom setting.

MarkWildey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2005, 10:24   #16
Town: Manchester - Abersoc
Boat name: MeMe
Make: SeaPro 595CC
Engine: Mercury 115 4S
Send a message via MSN to MeMe
Everyones continued......

......imput and advice is most welcome - thanks. I'm awaiting the return of my camera (tomorrow/Tue) with luck following which I'll try all the aforementioned timps and revert accordingly.
Buy it & Use it, then sell it and buy something bigger
MeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2005, 01:16   #17
Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
One thing you may find useful is a tool that allows you to extract the EXIF data from a digital photo. Most digital cameras will store the settings used to take the picture: shutter speed, f-stop, ISO equivalent, focal length, focus distance, and a ton of other stuff.

There are applications which allow you to extract and view the information as a table (handy for when someone, like MarkWildey asks "What shutter speed did you use?"

There are several you can use (and, as in most things, you can spend little or a lot, depending on what "features" you want.

Here's one that's free:

FWIW, to me that image you posted looks like motion blur. It would be easily proven with a tripod (or other reasonably steady support) and a test image (which could be as simple as a black square outline drawn on white paper. Make sure that the lines are all equal width. Better yet would be 2 concentric black squares separated by a thin white line. You can do this with electrical tape on paper. Shoot the square , uh, square, I guess, and on a point so it's diamond shaped, so you can tell if any blur is vertical or angled. )

I have noticed a lot of people do not wait long enough before dropping the camera away from their shooting stance - this is especially true of cameras that use red-eye reduction. All digital point-and-shoot cameras have some degree of shutter lag, and it seems that people expect them to act like film cameras (shutter goes as soon as the button depresses.)

In any event a bit of experimentation will be quite useful in figuring out what's going on.

jyasaki is offline   Reply With Quote