Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 10 November 2013, 10:40   #1
Member
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Enfield, Co Meath
Boat name: no name
Make: Zodiac Pro
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki 115
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 120
Send a message via AIM to lc0021 Send a message via MSN to lc0021 Send a message via Skype™ to lc0021
What about something less demanding - like a Whisk(e)y tour ????

HI Guys,

I changed my rib last year. I had notions of getting something like a 6.5m and trying a few legs of the 'round Ireland' bash..

As it happens - It took me the whole year to get something I liked - and the Round Ireland tour was well over by the time I was towing by new RIB home to Ireland.

The idea of a RIB tour in company is very appealing. However - on reflection - the 'bashes' - like the Round Ireland bash, or the Round Britain bash - are not for the novice - and are probably too demanding in terms of fuel costs and time (at sea) for many RIB users.

So I was wondering about a milder kind of tour - with smaller journeys, and some more tourist time ashore. (I'm sure there are lots ...).

Last night I saw an ad for ManX whisky... and then I thought..

What about a Whisky tour - or a Whisk(e)y tour.

After some very minimal research - I figured that - using Douglas as a starting point it would be possible to visit at least one distillery, by boat - almost every day for a week long tour.

Starting in Douglas (Welcome To ManX), Then first day cruise to Portpatrick (60 mls ? - and maybo bo distillery here), then day 2 to Girvan (~40mls), day 3 to Lochranza on Arran (~50 mls), day 4 through the Crinian Canal to Jura (Craighouse ~50mls), day 5 to Islay (possibly Port Ellen ~25 mls), Day 6 to Bushmills (~35 miles - but open to the Atlantic..), Day 7 to Bangor (NI) area (long - ~60 mls ?), Day 8 to Carlingford RoI (Cooley Whiskey) (long again 60+ miles) - and day 8 - back to Douglas...


This is purely based on a hour on Google maps with my Sunday morning coffee.. I have no idea about the seas - here - but the distances look achievable, and some of the cruises look relatively sheltered (compared to the long distance bashes) - so looks like something more suitable for the less hard core ribbers - or for smaller boats.

Does this sound like an interesting idea ?
__________________

__________________
lc0021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2013, 10:52   #2
RIBnet supporter
 
Chris Caton's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,199
sounds good to me
__________________
Chris Caton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2013, 11:21   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,251
If you hunt hard enough you should find a Willk post that kind of says exactly that - the RI had some really big legs.

However without wanting to say what Willk was saying, coz he has his own voice and will instantly tell me I don't know what he thinks... ...which is true! I think he was also saying:

A scheduled tour means you are much more committed to go despite the weather. That doesn't mean you should go if its dangerous but does mean you go if the weather is unpleasant you may go when if you were two mates going you might decide to wait and have a lay day.

Secondly, Land support is very useful. Its hard enough to persaude someone to do land support for you, but your trip would be mamouth for land support. In fact I'd suggest you almost planned the least land supportable route! Think Willk suggested youd want a trailer with the land support - thats going to be expensive as there will be a lot of ferries. Ferries add another complication for land support as some are only 1 or 2 a day. Plus escape plans may be to alternative land masses! There is something however quite appealing about your route - almost because going by boat is the logical way to get to each destination.

I think you want rest days in there, but you need the flexibility to be able to move them to where the wx window needs them to be.

Not done Crinan but may need to make it a day without trying to do passages either side.

Next problem is (possibly) fuel. Make your venture too large and you get noticed breaking rules on fuel transport. Make your venture even larger (RI sized) and its practically impossible to break the rules anyway as land support cant do the journeys needed in the time window.

Personally can't stand whisk(e)y unless its diluted in IrnBru... ...maybe I could power the boat with the stuff!
__________________
ShinyShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2013, 11:47   #4
Dhf
Member
 
Dhf's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Wales
Length: no boat
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,012
Like this one!

__________________
Dhf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2013, 12:12   #5
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
I don't mind the odd whisky but I don't like it enough to go on a special trip (my boats too wee anyway). IF everyone is the same then you need to make your trip about the journey rather than the destination. Any trip on the west of Scotland can easily include distilleries. If you really want to cover the range of whiskies available then surely you want to visit Wales too? A cunning plan might be a figure of 8 shape trip over 2 weeks that let people do either or both loop?

Douglas is an odd place to start - virtually everyone (except those with 3 legs) has a significant trip to get there to start. If you are trying to organise a BIG group then perhaps start at Stanraer? That is accessible to the Scots and N. Englanders, and reasonably short for the Norn Irish. That makes the finish there too - which is possibly practical if anyone has to abandon and needs to get trailers etc?

Girvan is an odd choice. I've not been for about 20 yrs but unless its had a transformation then I don't think i've missed much and there is no distillery close by that I can think of. Campbeltown isn't necessarily much better but at least has a distillery...

The Crinan Canal is a 6 hour transit, and could take longer at peak season stuck behind yachty traffic. It will add about 60-70 to the cost of the trip; plus the need for lots of fenders and rope that you need to carry and store for the whole visit.

You've listed the stills, but not where you would leave the boats and sleep each night. That is a serious consideration. Fuel is also a major thing to consider on such a long trip, especially with no vehicle to support you.

Of course its your trip so these are just food for thought!
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2013, 12:58   #6
RIBnet supporter
 
jambo's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,790
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
I don't mind the odd whisky but I don't like it enough to go on a special trip (my boats too wee anyway). IF everyone is the same then you need to make your trip about the journey rather than the destination. Any trip on the west of Scotland can easily include distilleries. If you really want to cover the range of whiskies available then surely you want to visit Wales too? A cunning plan might be a figure of 8 shape trip over 2 weeks that let people do either or both loop? Douglas is an odd place to start - virtually everyone (except those with 3 legs) has a significant trip to get there to start. If you are trying to organise a BIG group then perhaps start at Stanraer? That is accessible to the Scots and N. Englanders, and reasonably short for the Norn Irish. That makes the finish there too - which is possibly practical if anyone has to abandon and needs to get trailers etc? Girvan is an odd choice. I've not been for about 20 yrs but unless its had a transformation then I don't think i've missed much and there is no distillery close by that I can think of. Campbeltown isn't necessarily much better but at least has a distillery... The Crinan Canal is a 6 hour transit, and could take longer at peak season stuck behind yachty traffic. It will add about 60-70 to the cost of the trip; plus the need for lots of fenders and rope that you need to carry and store for the whole visit. You've listed the stills, but not where you would leave the boats and sleep each night. That is a serious consideration. Fuel is also a major thing to consider on such a long trip, especially with no vehicle to support you. Of course its your trip so these are just food for thought!

Poly how dare you be little my town, Girvan is home to the largest distillery in Scotland Grant's!! It also has a split new marina with 35 new berths. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Rib.net
__________________
jambo
'Carpe Diem'
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2013, 13:11   #7
Member
 
Festinghouse's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Chorley / Holyhead
Boat name: Northwind Challenger
Make: Tornado
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mariner 115 efi CT
MMSI: 235080598
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,398
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Festinghouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
Poly how dare you be little my town, Girvan is home to the largest distillery in Scotland Grant's!! It also has a split new marina with 35 new berths. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Rib.net
it may be the biggest distillery, but it doesnt mean its any good!
__________________
"Life may often suck, but the alternative is unacceptable"
MMSI Sticker

Member of S.A.B.S. (Lancashire Division)
Festinghouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2013, 13:28   #8
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
Poly how dare you be little my town, Girvan is home to the largest distillery in Scotland Grant's!! It also has a split new marina with 35 new berths. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Rib.net
there you go - you learn something new every day...

...well 2 things actually:

- I thought you were from troon?
- does the Grant's distillery do tours or is it a massive factory operation?

I had forgotten about the new marina.

Still can't be that good - you're away every weekend you can be, and keep your RIB elsewhere
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2013, 13:49   #9
RIBnet supporter
 
jambo's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,790
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
there you go - you learn something new every day...

...well 2 things actually:

- I thought you were from troon?
- does the Grant's distillery do tours or is it a massive factory operation?

I had forgotten about the new marina.

Still can't be that good - you're away every weekend you can be, and keep your RIB elsewhere
Hi N
how are you, bloody cold down here!!

Yea Grants have been here since early sixties very big operation but do tours not only does the W but does Gin Hedricks and Vodka also has big development side to the operation.

Yes we just had the massive injection from malin waters for the re-vamp of the harbour which is long over due this is the first stage and the further development to the wider harbour area taking place hopefully next year which will give full cruising facilities for visiting boats.
I have boated out of Girvan for years and have worked on the boats to! You know the reason I do my ribbing in the 'West' But there would be a limited area you could do out of G on a day basis and honestly I have seen AC and Arran so many times

But listen back to the OP in regards to a Whisky tour, our good friend ralph started this idea I think last winter and laid down a bit of work on the forum, can't find it but maybe you could, I know he has done a fair amount of research.
Cheers for now
B

ps I take it you have moved your sib from the boat park?
__________________
jambo
'Carpe Diem'
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2013, 13:56   #10
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
ps I take it you have moved your sib from the boat park?
Eh, no - are you telling me its not there anymore?
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:16.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.