Old 20 July 2014, 14:57   #41

Town: Thame
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budgie1 View Post
There is a few smaller RIB/SIB's going from Portland, also an FB event page set up. If weather is kind and there are others going from Poole plan to launch at Baiter if conditions not so good will launch at Portland
There are a few codgers like me who do not have Facebook accounts, so my apologies if all of this has been covered there. I would like to come along, and likewise, would think of launching from Poole if the forecast is reasonable. Have never launched at Baiter before. Boatlaunch talks about it being a very shallow slope needing a rope to launch, and it only being 3/4 tide. Anyone know what sort of length of rope you need? I think I have a 10m rope on board. Also what time is HW that day?

Old 20 July 2014, 15:08   #42

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Etec 60
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucksribster View Post
There are a few codgers like me who do not have Facebook accounts, so my apologies if all of this has been covered there. I would like to come along, and likewise, would think of launching from Poole if the forecast is reasonable. Have never launched at Baiter before. Boatlaunch talks about it being a very shallow slope needing a rope to launch, and it only being 3/4 tide. Anyone know what sort of length of rope you need? I think I have a 10m rope on board. Also what time is HW that day?
Be a trendy owdie and open one.

Old 20 July 2014, 15:42   #43

Town: Dorset
Boat name: BlueTube
Make: XS500
Engine: Mercury Opti 75hp
MMSI: 235098668
Launched there today Buckribster to test the water (so to speak) as I had exactly same thoughts, yep very shallow slip but so shallow we didn't bother with rope! Had to push boat out 10 to 15 metres to launch, when we recovered thought I would need extra long rope but we easily (two of us) pull the boat back to car (5M RIB + 75hp) 5.6 Avon in front of us did the same single handed! 9th August should be similar tides (going to double check my launch/recovery times to be sure) so .... Bit of a faff but straight forward (depending what boat you have) and cheap as chips :-) (£10.50 car and trailer) am really keen to launch for Lulworth there weather permitting so we could buddy up and make it easy?
Old 20 July 2014, 16:25   #44

Sounds good Budgie1. As I also have an Avon 5.6, I guess I should be OK. It is a long time since I have been around Pevril / Anvil headlands, and I know there are a few overfalls off them, so I am hoping for a calm day! Did the Portland / Durdle Door / Lulworth trip (with Bingosucks) last year and loved it.
Old 21 July 2014, 17:22   #45

Town: Poole, Dorset
Boat name: Renegade
Make: Renegade
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 175 DF
Hi Buckribster

I used to launch from Baiter. I used a 15m length of rope and found it to be good. As you will cross over the public footpath be aware of cyclists/pedestrians not looking what is going on so when pulling the boat out try to have someone ensuring no one tries to cross the rope, especially when you tighten up.

Also the end of the concrete ramp has caught many people out. It does drop to gravel as I found out launching a 4.8 Ribcraft one time so easily retrieved the trailer when releasing the boat. Also if there is a crosswind it too can be a hassle to recover. I trust this helps.

Regards

Lewey
Old 22 July 2014, 14:45   #46

Chris ... Your advise certainly helps me 👍is the end of concrete slip where the two marks are or is it just guesswork until you learn from mistakes? Also is it doable on spring tides? (5m RIB)
Old 22 July 2014, 17:26   #47

I'll go and measure my longest rope…..

Don't like the sound of the gravel - how low would the tide have to be before it is likely to be a problem?
Old 22 July 2014, 17:32   #48

If we launch together Buckribster we can join ropes together, think I know where gravel starts hoping James will confirm if not I will wade out next time and find it .... Overall it is really shallow but surprised how easily it was providing your prepared to get wet!
Old 22 July 2014, 19:10   #49

Town: Poole, Dorset
Boat name: Renegade
Make: Renegade
Engine: Suzuki 175 DF
Hi budgie1

Yes - the two posts are the location so use the as a guide. I will check the tide for the date in question and come back to you, however a neighbour of mine launches a 6m ribeye from Baiter so you should be ok. I suspect a 10m rope will also be fine. Again be wary as it does get busy with other boats and jet skis. It certainly hones your skills when others are next to you launching and recovering.

Regards

Lewey
Old 31 July 2014, 06:26   #50

Is this going ahead ?

Whose going ?

Where is rendezvous point ?

Timing details etc. ?

Tags
rib