Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 21 April 2015, 03:09   #171
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Easdale
Make: Humber/Quinquari
Length: 10m +
Engine: Outboard
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 297
With less than a fortnight to go

The weather last weekend was superb with the day temperature certainly above what we had been experiencing. Everyone here is looking forwards to the event.
Team Seafari will be on hand from Friday mid afternoon to help with launching. It is better for everyone if boats are prepared in the Highland Arts Car Park area and brought to the beach with all but the final bow strap still on the trailer. WE will have the trailer extension available but it is a waders type launch.
Once launched please remove cars and trailers to the rear car park. The usual council request to please park prettily between the white lines, trailers detached etc. Also please keep the ferry slip clear for the obvious reasons. The seafari pontoon will be clear and of course there are bow to moorings and the plastic pontoon for smaller boats. Unfortunately the community has not had sufficient time to refurbish the pontoon it received from a generous mussel farmer.
Both The Puffer and Oyster Bar will be fully stocked. Should you be requiring meals PLEASE BOOK AHEAD. Tel Puffer 01852 300022 and Oyster Bar 01852 300121. The Puffer Bar will also have a BBQ on the go Saturday evening. It’s a pay as you eat BBQ.
Saturday – we have been in touch with both The Pantry at Scalasaig who will start serving as soon as anyone turns up. We have been in touch with RSPB Glasgow but no response as yet. I will contact the Warden (Mike Peacock) at Oronsay directly. It’s the usual departure time 0930 for the Seafari boat. We remind everyone you are responsible for your own safety and strongly advise that similar sized boats travel in groups of at least 3. Skippers should also note that whilst the Seafari boat will use Channel 77 when at sea our ticket office no longer keeps a listening watch on either Ch 16 or 77. We have a private channel these days so logging in/out, the office is happy to do this by paper/pen but you need to physically visit the office or phone it 01852 300003. You could log a passage plan with Stornoway Coastguard.
Should an issue arise it’s Seafari boat on Ch 77, Seafari Ticket office by phone 01852 300003 or Stornoway Coastguard on Ch 16. Many boats will be listening in as well.
Sunday – Loch Buie and Carsaig – to understand the significance you need to purchase and watch the classic Powell and Pressburger film’ I know where I am going’
Lets hope the weather sets fair and calm. We will send out a forecast prediction late next week, it will be speculative with some ‘local knowledge input

Team ERR
__________________

__________________
Tony Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2015, 08:56   #172
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,610
I've just had a look at the Transport Scotland planned roadworks site - Looks like there is a big mess with long wait potential somewhere between the dam at Loch Awe & Tyndrum.

Has anyone experienced it on a weekday early afternoon?
__________________

__________________
9D280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2015, 10:54   #173
Member
 
The Gurnard's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 986
Yup..I certainly noticed it on Wednesday 9D290..they closed the whole A85 east of Taynuilt when I left Oban at 4pm. I cursed as I had to go miles out my road via Glencoe...I thought it was an accident that closed the road...but it was a highways vehicle that told us to go across the Connel Bridge and not the police.

I then got to Crianlarich..and could not believe my eyes. This time the police had a car across the road to Stirling at Ben More.. and told everyone this road was close..I had to go down Loch Lomond to Balloch before getting to Stirling.. its the worse journey from Oban I have ever had
__________________
The Gurnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2015, 11:36   #174
RIBnet supporter
 
jambo's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,787
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
Yup..I certainly noticed it on Wednesday 9D290..they closed the whole A85 east of Taynuilt when I left Oban at 4pm. I cursed as I had to go miles out my road via Glencoe...I thought it was an accident that closed the road...but it was a highways vehicle that told us to go across the Connel Bridge and not the police.

I then got to Crianlarich..and could not believe my eyes. This time the police had a car across the road to Stirling at Ben More.. and told everyone this road was close..I had to go down Loch Lomond to Balloch before getting to Stirling.. its the worse journey from Oban I have ever had

Next time go south via Lochgilphead


Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net
__________________
jambo
'Carpe Diem'
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2015, 11:56   #175
Member
 
The Gurnard's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 986
Yup..with hindsight I would have Jambo..but there was no warning ..first I knew about it was the Bear highway van at Connel.. to turn and go through Oban in rush hour ..down Lochgilphead road..which I know well too..would have taken as long as going via Glencoe from Connel. The double whammy was the accident at Ben More...took me almost 4 hours for a normal 2 hour drive

Anyone coming up the A82 would be better going via Lochgilphead to Easdale if they close the road again..but they gave no warning on Wednesday

Hope all is well on the ERR arrival departure dates..but worth checking of possible
__________________
The Gurnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2015, 13:21   #176
Member
 
dubrus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Glasgow
Make: Ribcraft 6.8
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki df200
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,088
what is the best forecast to look at?

14 Day Weather Forecast for Oban - Netweather.tv

netweather is excellent for around glasgow, not sure about further west.

cheers
__________________
dubrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2015, 13:35   #177
Member
 
Bern Hanreck's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Norfolk/Suffolk Borders
Boat name: La Bamba
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: F100 Yam / 5Hp Suz
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 707
P'raps some of you "locals " could keep us posted on this please ?

We've got a 450 mile tow before we even reach here......

Thanks........Bern
__________________
Bern Hanreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2015, 13:50   #178
RIBnet supporter
 
mick's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x Honda 90Hp
MMSI: 235025718
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern Hanreck View Post
P'raps some of you "locals " could keep us posted on this please ?



We've got a 450 mile tow before we even reach here......



Thanks........Bern

Good thinking Matts driving up from Taunton 😳 so any warnings would be cool 👍🏻
__________________
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2015, 14:55   #179
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
I think Tony said he'd post the forecast with their local knowledge when they were able to. Anyone who claims to be able to predict West of Scotland weather any better than a coin toss more than 10 days ahead is a lier or a genius! I think by 7 days you can start to get a pretty good feel if you look at the weather for the day or two before and day or two after your plan and treat it as "the likely range". By 5 days you are starting to get reasonably confident but the timings are still guesswork and by 3 days its usually pretty good +/- 12 hrs!

Wind and sea state is obviously the biggest risk (barring fog!). Whilst it doesn't look like it will be flat calm it does look like it will be reasonable (perhaps F3). Nothing at this stage that would make me worried about travelling up from the deep south for it.
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2015, 14:58   #180
RIBnet admin team
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,925
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Anyone who claims to be able to predict West of Scotland weather.
I think they are referring to the rolling road closures?
__________________

__________________
"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?"
.
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
rib

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:54.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.