Old 23 July 2003, 17:29   #121

Town: Bristol
Make: none
Length: no boat
Charles

Any chance of a list of runners and riders to date ??

Name Boat Launchsite
Martin BOB a Ribcraft 585 Lymington

I know Clarky is also coming from Lymington and Aging Youth in Mikes boat is probably coming from there to.

Anybody else

Martin
mstacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2003, 23:31   #122

Town: Iver, Bucks, UK
Boat name: Prime Rib II
Make: Humber Ocean Pro
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercruiser 1.7 diese
MMSI: 235086032
And....

Does anyone have the exact tide times and heights for the Friday and how late we can push a RIB up to the fuel pontoon before the water goes away? (For the petrol people)

I really will buy a new almanac next year - honest! (I've got all the year 2000 tide times if anyone is interested!)

Mike C
Old 23 July 2003, 23:35   #123

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Hi Martin,

I just spoke to Charles today and he's about to send out a mailshot with further details of the cruise.

Mike, just sent you some tidal details. (basically it's the same +or- a few mins as Martin's info)

Lymington will be the major departure point - Yacht Club slipway, Bath Road. I recommend that cars and trailers are left elsewhere - the preferred place being Lymington Yacht Haven, less than half a mile away. I think that Mike C has details if anyone still needs to make these arrangements.

Confirmed from Lymington are the following:
Clarky on "Hectic"
Mike C on "Prime RIB II"
Mstacey on "Bob"
Peter L on "Loose Cannon"

Other departure points are as follows:
Southampton/Itchen - Me & Louise on "Blue Ice" and Gordon on "My Pleasure II"
Calshot - Andy Micklewright & family on "Awesome" (subject to Scottish cruise?)
Bembridge - Mike S on Hysucat

There are a few other boats without a departure point confirmed yet, including DJL? Also, Mike and Di??

The earlier we can depart, the better! I plan to stay overnight in S'hampton to prep the boat and have an early start.

We will probably need a mid-channel meet to account for the Easten Solent boats, but that's not been finalised yet. However, the more miles we cover together, the better!

I suggest that VHF Channel 77 is used for communication (please let me know asap if you know that it's used for any official local purpose) and my mobile number will be in the mailshot.

Oh, one other thing to mention... Friday morning will be low (spring) tide on the English side, so launching at Lymington could be sort of impossible? I don't know the slipway very well, but from Mike's Emails, this could be a problem for anyone who hasn't put the boat in the water on Thursday afternoon.

Richard.
Old 24 July 2003, 00:03   #124

I'll ring Lymington Yach Haven in the morning and get prices etc and post the details tomorrow!

Mike C
Old 24 July 2003, 10:10   #125

OK, info on leaving from Lymington.

It’s suggested the Bath road slip is used, Boatlaunch link is….. http://www.boatlaunch.co.uk/main/sit...athRoad.jpg&w=
A warning though - It’s not so good at low water and it will be low water on Friday morning…. This may be a problem as I think low water is about 7am ish, (I’m going to have to buy a bloody almanac!) Maybe we will have to launch the night before! TBA.

Trailer parking should be OK at Lymington Yacht Haven just around the corner but they can’t confirm 100% till 3 weeks before, space wise (I think he’s just being over cautious). The cost for a 6-metre trailer will be about £3 per day. I’ve said we’ll need about 5 spaces.
Car parking will be free at the Yacht Haven provided at least one of us moors overnight with them, (Martin, I think you are!) We will need to leave our keys with them!

If you’re planning to launch on Thursday evening, overnight mooring for a 6-metre boat at the Haven will cost approximately £17. PLEASE BOOK A SPACE IN ADVANCE DIRECT WITH LYMINGTON YACHT HAVEN.

Lymington Yacht Haven phone number is 01590 677071
Web - http://www.yachthavens.com

As for departure times? Well that’s under debate at the moment but it will be early-ish on Friday morning!

Routes and waypoints to follow!

Mike C
Old 24 July 2003, 10:14   #126

PS,

If it turns out we ALL want to moor over on Thursday night, maybe we could cut a deal on mooring costs, so post here first if you like. After all, we could all raft up..... It aught to be cheaper!

Mike C
Old 24 July 2003, 10:20   #127

Right

I am booked to moor overnight at Lymington Yacht Haven,

Boat name BOB, 6m (well 5.85) and if they are happy I am quite happy for others to raft up.

I'm staying at the Bosuns Chair with my father and daughter who are making the trip with me.

Hope to see you all there.

Martin
Old 24 July 2003, 10:49   #128

Thanks Martin. Its coming together!

One other thought, for people wanting to launch early on Friday, according to Boatlaunch, the Town Quay slip a little further up river is available all states of tide. I've not used or even looked at this slip. Does anyone have any experience of it?
ie, what’s it like at low tide, (still a slope and good depth). And how about access?

Thanks....

Mike C
Old 24 July 2003, 12:19   #129

Town: Shropshire
Boat name: She's Gorn!
Make: No boat
Engine: Nada
Hi all,
Like Martin I've booked Bosun's and a berth at the Yatch Haven. Irrespective of the tide, I don't fancy launching at 6.00am for a 7.00 start! We'll be driving down Thursday pm and preparing the day before. Looking forward to it.
Regards,
Dave
Old 24 July 2003, 15:57   #130
DJL

Make: Ribcraft 6.5
Engine: Suzuki DF175TG
Hi Richard,

I will be departing from Hythe, possibly slipping the night before and leaving her in Hythe Marina over night.

Regards to the Bath Road slip, it will be impossible to launch anything there on a low spring tide - Slip turns in to very soft mud. Would highly recommend launching the night before.

Daniel
Old 26 July 2003, 00:13   #131

Charles or Dom,

Leaving the departure to one side for now, I've just received word from my insurance Company that they would not be prepared to insure my boat if I left it at anchor. This means that I would have to leave it overnight in a harbour. I'm proposing therefore to leave it in St Peter Port on the pontoons just outside Victoria Marina.
In which case….. would there be suitable numbers of willing ribsters who ARE anchoring at Herm, to give me and crew a lift to the Island and back? In fact, talking around, I don't think mine will be the only boat needing to do this. Views appreciated

This favour could of course be exchanged for copious quantities of beer!

Mike C
Old 26 July 2003, 02:16   #132

Boat name: Spud
Make: BWM
Length: 5.75
Engine: Mariner 125
Err Mike C,

If i am using "Spud" I won't have any problems with mooring overnight. But if I have "Midnight Express" by then I will be defiantely stopping over in st Peter Port even if it means sibbing over!

But if using Spud I'd happily take you back to herm for the whole 10 min trip it is

Lee
Old 26 July 2003, 02:17   #133

Town: St Martins
Boat name: MATRIX
Make: Jeanneau Leader 805
Length: 8.05
Engine: Volvo KAD 43 Diesel
Highs and lows in Guernsey, times are BST so no need to add an hour

29th august

high tides 08.39 (9.2) and 20.52 (9.6)
low tides 01.15 (1.0) and 14.56 (1.0) Herm will be v dry

30th august

high tides 09.17 (9.4) and 21.29 (9.6)
low tides 3.18 (0.9) and 15.34 (1.0) Herm will be v dry

31 august

high tides 09.53 (9.3) and 22.06 (9.4)
low tides 03.55 (0.9) and 16.11 (1.1) Herm will be v dry

Perfect for keeping your boat in SPP and colecting in the morning and dropping off at night. you can also refuel when you pick your boat up. If I am up and about I will do a ferry service but not promising anything yet, I will wait until that weekend to sort it.

Dom
Old 26 July 2003, 09:45   #134

Many Thanks.....

I'm sure we'll sort something! I'll get back to worrying about deprture then...... which is also causing problems due to spring low waters! All part of the fun!

Mike C
Old 26 July 2003, 11:39   #135

Town: St Martins
Boat name: MATRIX
Make: Jeanneau Leader 805
Length: 8.05
Engine: Volvo KAD 43 Diesel
WARNING TO ALL

The little Russell between SPP and Herm is not to be negotiated at low tide during this weekend, there are uncharted rocks in between on these very low tides that catch people out. Use the Musee passage and come around the back of Herm through the Russell.

If needs be I can talk to you all about this when you get here for the first timers. Charles will know what i am talking about.

Safe journey for everyone.

Dom
Old 26 July 2003, 12:02   #136

Dom,

Do you mean the whole of Little Russel is best avoided at low water?
.....i.e, if we happen to arrive at Platte Fougere from the UK at low water, we would be best to go up and over Platte Boue and down the East of Herm via Big Russell, then south of Muse into SPP....
Or is it just the final aproaches to Herm from Little Russel (via Vermerette) that you are talking about?
The reason I ask will become clear in my next post.... (which I haven't written yet)!

Mike C
Old 26 July 2003, 12:30   #137

Written it now!…..

Charles…. I hope this doesn’t cause any problems with any plans you have for the Friday, but the tides are against us this side of the puddle!

Departure times from UK – For discussion!

There seems to be a desire among some to depart very early on Friday morning. 7am has been suggested. The reason for this I believe is so those wishing to re-fuel on arrival can do so before the water goes away from the re-fuelling point in SPP. By my maths, (and speed) that would have to be 7am at The Needles, and then no dawdling! (HW 08:39). That would mean for me, a 5:30 or 6am launch (from Lymington – by the time I’ve sorted parking out etc) …. which unfortunately co-insides with low water, (spring). The obvious answer is to launch the day before and as has already been aired, I know some people are planning to do this. Unfortunately, due to work and family commitments the day before, I can’t……. So, with low water problems and also since I don’t really fancy getting up at 03:30 to get there by 6 anyway, may I propose a suggestion?

I suspect, (well alright, hope!), that I may not be the only one with similar considerations,. So, how do we feel about a second wave of departures 3 hours later? I would then plan to leave home at 6am and be ready for an 8am or just after launch. This is 2 hours after low water and I hope possible at Lymington….. or wherever! Then after fuelling and parking I should be ready for a 9:30 or 10:00 AM getaway from The Needles. We stragglers can catch up with the rest in SPP, (or wherever) and re-fuel on the evening tide for those that need it. As it’s a rising tide, we can creep in past the bigger draught boats as soon as there is enough water…. and fill up first!

So, any takers for a second wave….. or on reflection would we all like a lie-in? Comments please!

NB – The only problem is we will then be arriving in the Channel Islands close to low water….. Tell us where to go Dom!

Mike C
Old 26 July 2003, 13:29   #138

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
Hello Mike and everyone else.

Please don't get alarmed unnecessarily. (Dom, I know you mean well but you are causing confusion and anxiety).

As Richard mentioned in an earlier post, full details and a round-up of all arrangements will be with you shortly via 'snail mail'.
Many people on the cruise do not frequent this site therefore arrangements cannot be made fully on Ribnet.
I suggested an early departure as I know what happens on these cruises - you say 7am and invariably it ends up 2 or even 3 hours later. Trust me- this always happens.

We have to bear in mind that this is a cruise, supposed to be for fun and enjoyment - not an anxious affair with all the associated conundrums. Lets look at the options - (help guys who live over there) Chichester, Southampton(Itchen) - basically any slip that can handle any tidal state. The departure can also be delayed for a couple of hours, no problem there.
The real confusion for me is that you say it is low water springs at 7am 29/08 - How can this be, we have high water springs at 08:32am?? Surely you have approximately a 2 hour window after high. If this is the case I will suggest a 9am departure.

Let me know what you all think.

Charles
Old 26 July 2003, 13:42   #139

Mike

My thoughts

I'll go with the flow. I am staying in Lymington overnight regardsless. Going early I take a bacon butty, going late I have a fry up for breakfast

With 180litres on board I should have plenty of fuel in reserve on arrival. Just thought it easier to fill up then as other petrol users may not have the reserve I do.

I thought we were going to meet up with Charles off Little Russel? and follow line astern using his excellent local knowledge to take us into SPP. I'm sure Charles would steer us clear of any local hazzards.

These things have a habit of running late and should we arrive and the water is to low we could instead go across to Herm allowing us all a good look at the Harbour / moorings at low tide. From photos I have seen there is a fair bit in the Harbour that drys out to sandy bottom with substantial mooring chains available. Thus those that require it would have a first hand view of the moorings available to us that dry out and those that don't.

With tide at low not sure we can get in and offload our luggage at Herm (is it not a half tide access) or wether we would have to wait till later . Anyway we would be there and could decide the rest of the activities for the day dependent on water and needs.

Martin
Old 26 July 2003, 14:26   #140

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally posted by Charles
confusion for me is that you say it is low water springs at 7am 29/08
Yes, LW (springs) for Lymington is 0613 BST. You Channel Islanders hog all the water that morning!!

I'd be happier to keep to one departure time, whatever we agree on, to keep the flotilla together.