Old 07 November 2002, 20:20   #1

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
Channel Islands Camping Cruise

Update Dates set for 29-31 August 2003. Read the rest of the thread for more details!

I have just received the provisional calendar for BIBOA 2003, and I see that Yvonne has already pencilled in two temporary dates for this cruise.
The dates are 25 - 28 July and 02 - 04 August 2002. This is not to say that it will be on these dates, but a start nontheless.

Manos, it would be fabulous to host you and your family over here...we have 3 kids, (8,10 and 12)virtually born on ribs and do everything as a family, the kids love camping.

Julian, if we can manage to gather the crowd which did the last cruise and add some more, there is no doubt, weather permitting, it will be a great success. Come on Keith - stick Quicksilver in your car, come to Jersey on the ferry and join us.

As far as I am concerned Richard, you need to study... call yourself an IT expert! Have you got the movie thing working yet, or was it the chat room. No more cruising for you until you get on top of the things.
Old 07 November 2002, 22:52   #2

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Never mind the gadgets, Charles, I just need to get out and do some RIBing
I'm like the garage mechanic with the old banger - it's like a PC scrapyard in my house! trouble is that after day after day of fixing them, I just can't be bothered with them at home.
Anyway, the jigsaw pieces are slowly coming together for a RIB for next season, fingers crossed...
ps didn't you mean to say...
"The dates are 25 - 28 July and 02 - 04 August 2003"
(i'm off to the shops for my 2003 diary today!)
Old 07 November 2002, 22:55   #3

Town: Aberystwyth
Boat name: Undecided
Make: Undecided
Length: Undecided
Engine: Undecided
If I win the lottery before then, I'll be there, otherwise I'll have no way of getting there

Matt
Old 08 November 2002, 08:46   #4

This is a picture of the camp-site at Herm looking across at Sark. Waking up in the morning, unzipping your tent and faced with this view is spectacular.

Manos, the weather is something we have no control over...suffice to say that we do have lovely days in the Summer.
Old 08 November 2002, 08:49   #5

One of the many fantastic beaches in Herm. Due to the extreme tidal movements in this part of the world (if you did not know, we have 30+ feet tides) the water is always incredibly clean and the vis is very good.
Old 08 November 2002, 08:50   #6

From Herm looking towards Jethou and Guernsey. Geat sib country
Old 08 November 2002, 08:52   #7

Quote:
Originally posted by narked
If I win the lottery before then, I'll be there, otherwise I'll have no way of getting there

Matt
Easy Matt, hitch a ride on someone's rib. People are always looking for competent crew.
Old 08 November 2002, 08:59   #8

Town: Edenbridge
Boat name: Scorpion
Make: Scorpion 8.5mtr
Length: 8m +
Engine: 315hp Yanmar Diesel
Crowd Gathering

Morning Charles

Looks great. I will gather the crowd that went last year and see if I can drum up a few more as well. I do know of a couple of extra people that will go.

I can allways take some people on our boat if they would like a lift . No problem.

Julian
Old 08 November 2002, 09:05   #9

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Hi Charles

Thanks Charles. (I was just joking about the weather )
The photos look great, the place looks GREATER. I know about the tides and how strong they are, use to sail their with my Sunseeker a few years back. Sunseeker now is pestering the pocket of someone else
Kids will love it specially if they have other children to play with.
The dates look fine to me right now. However, will know later on at the time but I'll be marking my calendar.
Are we keeping an udate diary in the FORUM?? Last time I looked seemed pretty empty to me.
Charles keep me posted. Thanks
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 November 2002, 09:45   #10

Roll on Summer....... the last cruise we did to St.Malo generated quite a few more people who are joining BIBOA and I know are aquiring their own ribs. I'm sure we can gather a worthy crowd ,Julian. By the way, I have just got off the 'phone to Derek @ Scorpion, my rib will be ready in 2 weeks time. The hard nose is on, tubes ready and all the new wiring as well as isolater switches have been fitted. Did you manage to have a look when you were there the other week-end?
Sorry Richard (eagles-eyes - could'nt find your hotel in Carteret, though!) it is 2003.
Old 08 November 2002, 10:03   #11

Town: Aberystwyth
Boat name: Undecided
Make: Undecided
Length: Undecided
Engine: Undecided
Right then, who wants an extra crew member? This along with the Orkney SIB expedition will give me the holiday I'm after before starting my navy diver training.

Cheers,
Matt (really should stop reading the forums and get on with my electronics work) Brown
Old 08 November 2002, 10:15   #12

Town: Edenbridge
Boat name: Scorpion
Make: Scorpion 8.5mtr
Length: 8m +
Engine: 315hp Yanmar Diesel
Charles

Hi Charles

Unfortunately due to the bad weather I did not manage to get down to the boat yard to take a look at you Rib. I am going down on the 23rd November to spend the day cleaning the boat and hull and sorting things out for the winter so I will take a look at it then for you. Bet it looks good with the hard nose.

Narked there shouuld be room on our boat for the Channel Islands cruise. You are more than welcome if you need a lift etc.

Julian
Old 08 November 2002, 10:29   #13

Thanks Julian

Hopefully, hopefully, by then, all you will see is my wake.
It would be an idea to sling all the sibs on ribs and bring them over for the weeek-end.
Old 18 November 2002, 12:48   #14

Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
Hi Charles!
I haven't had the chance to tell you that I very much enjoyed the St.Malo cruise and my Polish friends went back home very pleased to have been part of it. They will no doubt be back to join in another one . Hopefully for the next one which I see is in the planning. Count us in. By the way I have joined BIBOA. How did you know???
regards. Andre
Old 18 November 2002, 13:23   #15

Hi Andre
I'm pleased that you guys could make it - its always great when people make the effort. It also goes to show that one does not require a massive rib to do these cruises. I certainly had a great week-end and it was good to meet you and your Polish colleagues. Keep an eye on rib.net as we are always putting cruises together you might be interested in.
John has kindly created a forum for this specific requirement
Old 04 January 2003, 12:09   #16

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Any more details on this, like the start date?

Planning to take the diving club to Alderney for a week starting 2 or 3 Aug and thought the cruise across the channel in company would be good. We hope to dive all the channel islands during the week using a couple of ribs.

Pete
Old 04 January 2003, 15:58   #17

Hi Pete....not finalised yet, will post as soon as possible. It will be in that time frame, give or take a week though.
Old 09 January 2003, 07:28   #18

Town: Portchester, Hants.
Length: no boat
Send a message via AIM to Aging Youth Send a message via Yahoo to Aging Youth
Hi Charles,

A couple of Questions for you,

1. Where dose everyone intend to leave from?

2. Would Poole be a good lauch site?

I need to calculate distance and fuel consumption for 90hp mariner. Hope to join a convoy if possible and follow someone accross.

3. Are there any costs for camping?

4. Is petrol readily available on the island. On board fuel tank + 2 portables.

5. where will the overnight anchorage be?

As I am still very new to cruising/ribing these may sound like stupid questions! Any feedback is always welcome.

Regards
Old 09 January 2003, 08:05   #19

Hello Aging Youth (What is your real name?)

To answer a few of your questions:

I suspect the majority of people will be leaving from the Solent area and I will nominate someone on 'that' side to co-ordinate the logistics of departure. Saying that, I am sure people like Brian ,Mike and Andy Micklewright will leave from a bit further south - Torbay area. The distance is in the region 70miles and should, conservatively, take about 3 hours. Fuel is readily available in St.Peter Port - at any time - and is only a couple of minutes away from Herm.

Sleeping arrangements: Once I have a clearer idea of confirmed people I will commence bookings for the camp site at Herm. Seagull Camp Site has 2 options. There are large established tents with matresses, tables etc. They can 'house' about 8 people each and one would only need to bring food, Booze (very important) toiletries and sleeping bags. On the other hand, there are many sites to pitch your own tent - in this case - only the site is provided. They have lovely shower and ablution facilities with a small shop to get the bare necessities like bread, milk, sugar etc. You can always go taxfree shopping in Guernsey if you like.
There is obviously a charge for camping but this depends on which site you choose. This is a useful link to appreciate what you can look forward to. I will post some pictures of the camp-site as well.

As far a moorings are concerned, a good solid anchor is something you should always carry with you anyway, but there are strong moorings available and should not pose a problem.
Old 09 January 2003, 08:23   #20

Picture of the established tents at Seagull Camp-site in Herm