Old 07 March 2011, 11:03   #1

Town: Basingstoke
Boat name: True Spirit
Make: Ribeye 785 Sport
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha 250
Tube height off the water question

My Ribeye sits with its tubes well clear of the water , yet some other Ribs sit with the tubes just on or partially below the water when stationary , what are the pro`s and con`s of the two designs if there is any please??
Old 07 March 2011, 11:28   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper64 View Post
My Ribeye sits with its tubes well clear of the water , yet some other Ribs sit with the tubes just on or partially below the water when stationary , what are the pro`s and con`s of the two designs if there is any please??
clear = less drag so more speed / better fuel economy for the same speed, also means that if you keep your boat afloat growth (weed, barnacles etc) on tubes is less of an issue.

touching = more stable, so more pleasant if you are bobbing around at anchor / fishing / diving. also usually means the boat has lower "freeboard" so is easier to get into from the water.

has been debated much in the past...
Old 07 March 2011, 17:39   #3

Town: London
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper64 View Post
Very interesting topic. I have owned two Humber RIBs. One was 5m Assault and the other was a 6.5m Destroyer. The Assault's tubes were always touching the water. We used to have a very smooth ride. Same for the destroyer although just the end of the rubes was touching the water when in stationary...

But I have seen ribeye's tubes are well above the water when in stationary and start getting wet above certain speed...
Old 07 March 2011, 19:05   #4

Length: no boat
Engine: Outboards
is it not also connected to the V of the boat hull?

Personally having taught in both i prefer the lower tube height as this mean the boat doesn't feel like its falling over (as if sitting on grass) as you move side to side and get the boat rigged and ready with all its equipment.

If i remember rightly the smaller Ribcrafts i.e 5m and 5.2 have their tubes out the water
Old 08 March 2011, 07:20   #5

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
The 785 has been extended sideways to give more room inside the boat, they also went up with the tubes resulting in the boat lurching from side to side at anything less than planing speeds quite considerably, defeats one of the objects of having them in the first place IMHO!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote