Old 19 May 2011, 21:58   #41

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
anybody found a good PAYG sim card deal? Orange do a 300 text card for a tenner. Not being familiar with PAYG, do you have to top up each month or does a tenners worth last until the txts have been used?
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2011, 22:30   #42
RIBnet supporter

Town: Poole
Boat name: Black Adder+BabyBlue
Make: Shearwater + Avon
Length: 8m +
Engine: TDi Diesel + Merc 60
MMSI: 235026679
Can you add me to the list as well please. Definitely want one.
Old 20 May 2011, 06:03   #43

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
anybody found a good PAYG sim card deal? Orange do a 300 text card for a tenner. Not being familiar with PAYG, do you have to top up each month or does a tenners worth last until the txts have been used?
My experience of O2 is that a PAYG SIM is free from any O2 shop - or any other phone outlet - but you have to put a minimum of £10 on it at the point of sale. The £10 can be used for calls or texts. O2 may, after a period of a couple of months, try to move you onto a PAYG tariff they think best suited to your usage pattern. They'll do this via text message. Just go with whatever works best for you. There will be tariffs that are suitable for text only but they not be suitable for you as often they're linked to a requirement to top up a set amount each month.

Or, I bought mine off eBay for £0.01! but postage was extra

You don't have to top up each month if you keep on a basic tariff - just top up as and when. But, as I said before, the SIM will lapse if you don't make a chargeable call for (I think) a six month period even if it has credit on it (been there, done that, with our garage alarm SIM). If you're asking the boat where it is on a regular basis then all will be fine.

I don't know about other networks but I'd guess they're all much of a muchness.
Old 20 May 2011, 07:09   #44
RIBnet supporter

Town: Newcastle
Boat name: Merlin
Make: RB4 Gemini 550
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90C
still no reply from China
will give it until end of today then try again.
checked it wasn't in my Junk mail - pun intended -
Old 20 May 2011, 16:40   #45

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Cost?

Try looking at redknows. A fully packaged set up with online setting controls. Text message and a remote control for many functions including geofence.

If you guys are happy at £60, why not £200? Considering the cost of your boats and the cost of service and fuel and kit, it's a negligible cost.
Old 20 May 2011, 18:10   #46

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
Try looking at redknows. A fully packaged set up with online setting controls. Text message and a remote control for many functions including geofence.

If you guys are happy at £60, why not £200? Considering the cost of your boats and the cost of service and fuel and kit, it's a negligible cost.
Well I pays £300 odd for my insurance to cover the replacement of my RIB should I get it nicked.

Obviously I'd like to police to knab the theiving bliters, hence the tracker. It's also another item I can tell the insurance that I had protecting the boat too!

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2011, 19:01   #47
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
I'm not losing sleep about my boat's security at the moment (its more secure now than it has ever been except when kept in my own garage). I can get a long weekend of boating for sixty quid in fuel, so to me with the perceived level of risk its actually quite a bit of cash. It might just help track me down if I'm overdue or help if she slips a mooring on the odd occasion I have her out overnight. £60 is just the amount of cash I'll spend without putting too much thought into it. If I think about it too much I'll realise I don't need one and do something really dull like putting it in a pension to keep my IFA happy!
Old 20 May 2011, 20:14   #48

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Pay As You Go SIMs normally need a VOICE CALL every six months to keep them live. Answer the voice call so it actually connects. However, if you go over the time limit and you're not so late that they reallocate your number, you can usually get the card reactivated...reluctantly sometimes. Don't ask me how I know this....
Old 21 May 2011, 04:16   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker
Pay As You Go SIMs normally need a VOICE CALL every six months to keep them live...
Not O2...all it needs is a chargeable call such as an outgoing text message. So, just call the tracker to ask it where it is, you get a text reply, job done

My tracker O2 SIM has never made a voice call in about 18 months. Many texts, but no voice. Stll going strong...
Old 21 May 2011, 08:32   #50

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leapy View Post
Not O2...all it needs is a chargeable call such as an outgoing text message. So, just call the tracker to ask it where it is, you get a text reply, job done

My tracker O2 SIM has never made a voice call in about 18 months. Many texts, but no voice. Stll going strong...
Is that just a bog standard O2 sim? How much credit did you put on it & how long does it last. Sorry if I sound dim but I've always had contract business phones, so I ain't o'fay with PAYG.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2011, 10:51   #51

Quote:
My experience of O2 is that the SIM remains active provided there is a chargeable use within a 6 month period - voice or text. If there's no chargeable use, then, whether there's money on the SIM or not, the SIM is assumed inactive and voided (though if you shout at them very loudly they'll make it active again and put your stolen money back on it)
Old 21 May 2011, 10:57   #52

Quote:
Is that just a bog standard O2 sim? How much credit did you put on it & how long does it last. Sorry if I sound dim but I've always had contract business phones, so I ain't o'fay with PAYG.
I bought the SIM off eBay for £0.01 (postage not included ) and activated it with a £10 top up. After the various set up text messages there was a further text after a period of time that made recommendations for a particular tariff based on usage for texts only (i.e. texts from the tracker on the boat). On the face of it these were good deals, but, you had to top up each month. Didn't want to do that so I declined - be careful, some of the O2 offers seem to assume you'll accept and are only stopped by you declining them

A suspect there's a million SIM only deals out there. You'll have to choose what works best for you. As I said earlier, make sure you choose a service provided with a good strong signal in the area where you'll want to use the tracker
Old 21 May 2011, 21:40   #53

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leapy View Post

Well I have three trackers on O2, 2 are payg and I've been disconnected a number of times, similarly on T mobile. You must be blessed.
Old 21 May 2011, 21:48   #54
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
Well I have three trackers on O2, 2 are payg and I've been disconnected a number of times, similarly on T mobile. You must be blessed.
Did you try ringing them in that time? I'm wondering if receiving a voice call would count.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2011, 23:15   #55
RIBnet supporter

Town: Newcastle
Boat name: Merlin
Make: RB4 Gemini 550
Engine: Tohatsu 90C
Leapy ...

When David Cheng from Xexun replied to you, he presumably used an email address....can you forward that to me?
Have had no joy from the Contact form on the website.

thanks
Old 22 May 2011, 07:28   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustRib View Post
David Cheng email address....
Here you go:

After some initial banter it was: david@xenun.com

It started as: xexunexport@gmail.com

Here's his email signature:

David
Shenzhen Xexun Technology Co., Ltd.
Address: 7/F, Minrun Plaza, Meihua Road, Shangmeilin,
Futian District, Shenzhen518049, China.
Tel: 86-755-83128538
Fax: 86-755-83126738
http:// Shenzhen Xexun Technology Co.,Ltd
http://www.globalsources.com/xexun.co
Shenzhen Xexun Technology Co., Ltd. - GPS tracker, Vehicle Gps Tracker, Industrial PDA
Email: David@xexun.com
MSN: sales07xexun@hotmail.com
Mobile: 86-13510606480

In case Xenun falls through - for whatever reason - I've been looking at the trackers on eBay...there's one HERE that's for sale from an eBay 'Top Seller' with 100% feedback. I've fired him an email giving him brief details of what you're looking for, why it has to be the real thing and not a clone and is he selling the real thing and can he prove it. I'll let you know...
Old 22 May 2011, 08:56   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
you must be blessed.
What are we talking abut now?
Old 22 May 2011, 09:10   #58

Town: Northampton
Make: RibTec
Engine: Outbaord mariner 75
these look good. an uk supplier ..Maplins

T22B Boat GPS Tracking Device Free Delivery : InCar Security : Maplin
Old 22 May 2011, 09:14   #59

Town: Helsinki
Boat name: SR 5.4
Make: Avon
Engine: Toh1 3,5 Yam 90/2S
Quote:
it might be a case of negotiating the bulk buy & having them shipped individually from China.
That might be a good idea, small packages from China goes like letters, at almost no post fee, that also reduce the risk for VAT and custom duty entering EU. Would a RIBnet discount code be a workable solution, then each one might manage the payment and ordering individually?
Old 22 May 2011, 09:20   #60

Town: York
Boat name: Sugar Free
Make: Tornado
Engine: Yam 115
Has this bulk buy come to an end. If it is still going then I would like one for £60 ish.

Gary