Old 04 February 2012, 00:39   #1

Town: Tauranga
Boat name: Extra Pleasure
Make: Atomix
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard 60HP 2Strke
Steering - cog teeth broken...?

Hey,

Recently, thanks to lack of maintenance, the tilt tube got all stuck and in the process of trying to unstick it, I think I have damaged a few of the cog teeth (??) inside the hell unit of the steering...

When I turn the wheel now, in 3 certain spots it's incredibly stiff, and moves in with a massive clunk sound coming from the helm unit - I don't know how they work, but it certainly sounds like b*ggered teeth.

The unit is a Safe-T Steering Unit, so I am thinking I need to replace it with a replacement helm unit. I don't want to replace the whole cable as that'd be a mousing nightmare, but I am not sure if the unit I have is a Quick Connect unit (5 years old?) and can be replaced without replacing the whole cabling...

Is there an easy way to find out, i.e. basically how do I get the existing cable out?!

The existing unit looks alot like this:
Safe-T QC (Quick Connect) 3-Turn Single Steering Helm - Smart Marine - Better Boating, Fishing,

but according to the telfex instructions I've found online, there should be three bolts at the connection where the steering cable comes... it's hard to see, but I think where these bolds should be, it's actually seeled... see the attached pic...

Any pointers in the right direction would be most appreciated...
Thanks
Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20120204_131454.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	65357   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20120204_145451.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	65358   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20120204_145526.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	65359  
Old 04 February 2012, 08:03   #2

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
You know what's going to happen? You simply replace the helm unit... smooth-klunk, or remove and replace the steering cable... same problem. You can try it, but I suspect you'll have to replace both - as the steering spindle and internal gears on the helm have to be perfect for it to work properly.

The collar you're speaking about - they're not allen-key bolts are they (head not visible in picture)?
Old 04 February 2012, 08:34   #3

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
to remove the cable you need either the release pin, which is normally clipped into the helm, or a small pointed probe and poke it into the release hole at the collar where the cable enters the helm.
Old 04 February 2012, 16:40   #4

Town: Tauranga
Boat name: Extra Pleasure
Make: Atomix
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard 60HP 2Strke
Hi,

I've sussed it.

Got the cable fully out (found the push pin to let the cable run out...) The helm unit clunks when turning the wheel even without any cable running through it... and the cable looks fine and undamaged...

Of to buy a new head unit tomorrow... am planning on getting a same same replacement - Safe-T QC (Quick Connect) 3-Turn Single Steering Helm - Smart Marine - Better Boating, Fishing,

Is it worth the extra few bob to get this:
Safe -T II NFB Single Steering Helm - Smart Marine - Better Boating, Fishing, Camping & RV Starts

if it's compatible with my cables?

Cheers!

« Bodger | Top | Fishing »