Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	48813  
Old 22 January 2010, 16:14   #22

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
after all that it turns out its a s.i.b and not a r.i.b,,,,i dont think a r.i.b would have got wrapped up like that owing to the hard hull ,,,but i agree with polwart with regards to them not getting a doing from the c/g ,,if it had been a lesure boater the stance would have been that there were persons in the water and they should have been notified by v.h.f even if it was just a call to say that the situation was fully under control,,,though i suspect they may have been able eventualy to extract themselves without outside help ,but as the call was from a member of the public and perhaps seeing it from a distance it was prudent to send the RNLI out to have look ,,just incase the situation was far worse than reported ,
Old 05 February 2010, 01:00   #23

Town: Hereford
Length: 4m +
Why haven't the MAIB got involved like they did with the Plas Menai Rib?

Seems the same sort of situation to me, one boat flipped with another in close support, is it because their cars have got blue lights on the roof?

http://www.maib.gov.uk/publications/...2009/rib_6.cfm

All the best, Jim
Old 05 February 2010, 07:01   #24

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippyhunter View Post
Why haven't the MAIB got involved...
Ask them?

Old 05 February 2010, 07:51   #25
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippyhunter View Post
Why haven't the MAIB got involved like they did with the Plas Menai Rib?

Seems the same sort of situation to me, one boat flipped with another in close support, is it because their cars have got blue lights on the roof?
mmm... I'm not sure I agree. Plas Menai was a boat full of children. A casualty from the Plas Menai boat had to be airlifted to hospital. Plas Menai should have been opperating well within their comfort zone - there's no way they would have gone out if they had believed there was a significant risk of capsize. The question was - they didn't expect to capsize - so why did they?

In contrast, from the limitted information I know, the fire service were on a swift water rescue excercise. The nature of that training means they must be in an environment / circumstance where the risk is higher. Their risk assessment almost certainly identified that there was some risk of capsize, and it would seem there were reasonably effective procedures in place to deal with that.

The MAIB also has limited resources so can't investigate every incident in detail. It has to make an assessment to decide if there are likely to be lessons to be learnt (for either those involved or other people). They have previously left it to the RNLI and RYA to undertake investigation of incidents involving their own boats (and I am aware of an incident that involved Health and Safety Executive personnel on a boat which was investigated by HSE rather than MAIB by mutual agreement). The Fire Service will almost certain have its own investigation - if they actually consider this as anything other than a routine part of their training situation. Why waste tax payers money with duplication of effort?