Make: Scorpion 8.6m
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar 315hp
MMSI: 211579640
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Bushrider
Searider tank & boat balance

Hello ,
Within the nearest time a Osprey console will be fitted to my SR 5.4 . Now the big question for me is is fuel storage & weight distribution .
The boat will be equipped with a Yam 90hp 2 stroke and furthermore I will have the possibility to store 2x 25l tanks at the stern .
My intention is also to have a inbuilt tank in the console and here I am getting a bit in trouble ..
A german fellow built in some time ago in his SR 5.4 in the same console a 80 liter tank . The tank was located in the high front part of the console in UPRIGHT position - see pictures from his boat .
I would love to have a 80l tank in the console but my concern is that the weight of the console / the weight of the full tank plus my weight (115kg) is located too close to the bow .
I am afraid that the boat becomes bow heavy .
Can somebody advice ?
I see 3 options :

1. weight distribution / balance and handling will be alright = best case but who knows ?
2. another tank than the one mentioned above has to go under the lower part of the console - closer to the stern and the center of gravity , no idea yet which size the console can accomodate
3. the console can be glassed to the deck closer to the stern to improve the balance , but once it is glassed - no way back ..

What is your fuel setup and recommendation for the SR 5.4 ??

Thanks in advance !

Regards - Jürgen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fuel tank.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	63139   Click image for larger version

Name:	fuel tank (2).jpg
Views:	374
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	63140   Click image for larger version

Name:	fuel tank (3).jpg
Views:	515
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	63141   Click image for larger version

Name:	fuel tank (4).jpg
Views:	351
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	63142  
Old 11 October 2011, 17:55   #2

Town: Helsinki
Boat name: SR 5.4
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Toh1 3,5 Yam 90/2S
Good question.

I have the navy speck SR 5.4. Battery under the console, but most of the fuel and other gear is located close rather to the transom(There is 70 litre tank) and then I carry 1-2 20L jerry cans. In easy weather or in rough stuff in following seas this is OK, somehow feels like she goes better with a little shorter waterline, slightly stern heavy. Bow is low so i would not like here bow heavy in following seas.

But in nasty, short chop(heading sea), the rides get much better when moving the jerry cans to the bow...
In my opinion my tub overhang(past transom) is little low(maybe gravity and age has taken its toll) so they are a acting like a trim tabs, this might explain why the weight at the stern is ok most of the time.
Old 11 October 2011, 20:42   #3

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Don't think so

http://www.rib.net/forum/f16/searide...ics-14530.html

IS A LINK TO THE bUILD THREAD OF THE MOST WELL BALANCED sEARIDER i HAVE EVER DRIVEN SCUSE CAPS this boat also ran with strem tanks

It's now owned by Zan so it might be worth PM ing her good self

It was also driven a lot by DM and he agrees with me. I wouldn't worry about your weight sadly I suspect you are lighter than me I've never had a prob with boat balance on a Searider. Also when you use the rear tanks for long Journey if you use them first then your balance comes back towards the end of the day.

I don't think the seat is to far forward but you can always have it set back a bit
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2011, 04:17   #4

Town: StPetersburg Russia
Boat name: Ocean Devil
RIBase
Hi Stu ,
Thanks for your comments !
May be it is a stupid comparison but on my dirt bike I had plenty of options to adjust the shock & fork to the underground condition to get best results during a competition .
With the boat this possibilities are quite limited .
I`ll send a PM to Zan to get more info about her setup .
Last night i found a couple of tanks which could be interesting and which would be positioned flat under the console and not upright .
I`ll email them to you .
But anyway - waiting for the info from you with the fuel tank options for the Osprey console !
*let me also know the lenght of the hydr hoses so that all parts for the steering will be available . A helm I found in the meantime .

Cheers - Jürgen
Old 12 October 2011, 08:37   #5

Town: Helsinki
Boat name: SR 5.4
Make: Avon
Engine: Toh1 3,5 Yam 90/2S
I fully agree with Stu, searider is not a particularly sensitive for shifting in weight/balance, Having had the opportunity to do many trips with 4 kids/youth on board, have shifted/played with weights pretty much. In easy conditions, by having weight in the stern, the fuel consumption is little less that way, at least based on the flow meter reading on my boat.

But handling wise considering general usage, makes sense to have the tank more forward. My comments/worry for bow heavy in following seas might be influenced by my limited driving skills ..
If /when will do a console modification I would also consider a tank in the console. I wonder, how big tank was attached on Narcosis boat?

There is an E-Tec on the picture, is not that roughly 50 kg heavier than the Yam, so if one want to achieve identical balance to that one, think console needs to be litle closer to the stern?
Old 12 October 2011, 12:13   #6

Town: copenhagen
Make: Avon SR 4.7
Engine: E-tec 90hp
Hi, I know mine is not the 5.4M but the 4.7 and it could possibly do a big difference. However i placed a 62 liter fuel tank under my console half a meter behind the front tube, and the battery is just in front of the console. The balance is really good with my Etec 90hp on the transom. I don't think it would be a problem for you to put the tank 2/3 forward.
br
Nikolaj
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	03102010253.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	63147  
Old 12 October 2011, 16:12   #7

RIBase
Guys ,
Thanks for your feedback !
The 2 rear tanks at the stern I want to have definitely as a reserve for longer distances . As for the inbuilt tank I will see what Stu will offer - respectively what will fit into the Osprey console .
The beauty of this 80l upright tank is that there is plenty of space underneath the seat in the console . Not too bad since the storage capacities of the SR are quite limited ..
In this regard I think mostly about the safety equipment .
Do not know about the UK but in Germany it is "recommended" but in France obligatory - and this is quite a lot of stuff ...

After all you wrote or I read before in the forum I think at the end the wisdom about the boat handling , balance etc comes with time and experience once the SR is on the water ..

Cheers - Jürgen
Old 13 October 2011, 00:17   #8

Town: Stonehaven
Make: Avon Sea Rider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50Hp Mercury 4' EFI
A german fellow built in some time ago in his SR 5.4 in the same console a 80 liter tank . The tank was located in the high front part of the console in UPRIGHT position - see pictures from his boat .

The pictures worrie me a bit as with that petrol swooshing around building up gas fumes in the front of the console, just under the electrics, with little ventilation.
Boom.......

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S using Rib.net
Old 13 October 2011, 03:56   #9

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruari 29 View Post

The pictures worrie me a bit as with that petrol swooshing around building up gas fumes in the front of the console, just under the electrics, with little ventilation.
Boom.......
Good point - may be that is why he sold the boat ...
No - I talked to him the tank was wéll vented . Problem he had was fuel spraying out throught the breather ( outside of the console ) in heavy seas with full tank .
Any tank in the console - does not matter whether it is flat on the floor or upright in the front has to have anyway a good vent system .

Cheers - Jürgen
Old 13 October 2011, 06:45   #10

Town: Stonehaven
Make: Avon Sea Rider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50Hp Mercury 4' EFI
I do like the idea of what your trying to do, I was myself thinking about fitting a tank under my seat in my 5.4.
Good luck

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S using Rib.net