Old 06 July 2022, 16:24   #1

Town: Nottinghamshire
Boat name: Wakey
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 75 2 stroke
Say Hello to Rib Wakey!

We made it....Just.
In all honesty I never expected to have my rib ready this year but a stroke of misfortune turned into a silver lining as my 10 weeks off work with Vertigo allowed me to put in some serious graft on the boat.
It all came together pretty well in the end and on budget (horse crap did it lol) but this build was never about money it was about rescuing an old 5m Tornado sat in a field in East Anglia....I just felt it was worth rescuing.....it never needed to make sense.

I took my boat down to a local marine engineer and asked him to check everything was safe to use and set the carbs up. I wasn't anticipating any problems but then a phone call a week last Sunday very nearly killed my dream. " I can't advance the timing and if I were you I wouldn't spend money on this outboard " these were his words to me. We went back and forth with idea's...but no Joy. It just didn't make sense....I checked the motor out including a compression test and I even had it running...but it was a little fast at tick over.
I jumped in the car and headed straight down the mariner...I needed a face to face.

The mechanic had convinced himself that the flywheel had been changed at some point and the wrong one had been fitted, as he had seen that before. I said to him that having looked at lots of photos of the mariner 75hp that it was indeed correct ( aesthetically at least) . I sensed that my man was a bit stressed as he was indeed very busy....I had to wait 6 weeks to get in! And I got the feeling he wanted to give up.....but I wouldn't let him.

I said that I would pay him to remove that flywheel and hopefully that would reveal the problem....even if it couldn't be fixed.....we had to have the answer...right?
I said someone hasn't changed the crank or flywheel and I pointed out that the powerhead had never been split apart as it looked factory and that if the crank had twisted it wouldn't run let alone sound smooth and his reply " well if the flywheel had jumped the key it wouldn't run either"

Four days later I received a phone call....."it's running " honestly I could have kissed him. The flywheel had indeed jumped the key....but as it had been stood a while it had rusted in place....hence why it run. He stated that in 22 years he had never seen that happen before and I think secretly he was pleased he had found the problem.

So now we know why it had been stood.....The tubes needed replacing and the engine wasn't running right....and a simple fix as it turns out.

Right from the get go I knew the engine would be a gamble but worst case I was prepared to part it out.

My long term plan is to purchase a newer four stroke as the old smoker is quite noisy and not very good for the environment.....but if I can get three or four seasons out of it I will be glad and hopefully at some point outboards will be more realistically priced again....but I wont bank on it.

So off to Cornwall we go (untested gulp) my first trip out will be from Gorran Haven as that coastline is often calm...unlike the Northcoast and the harbour is easy to deal with...remember I'm new to Ribs as Sibs are a different animal.

So next week is going to be busy....1. collect the new Caravan on the way down...drop wife and Son off and set up...relax Sunday.2. go to Plymouth for powerboat level 2 on Monday 3. Get drunk Monday night as I'm staying in Plymouth and on my own 4. finish course then hightail home to collect my boat 5. drive all the way back to Cornwall on Wednesday morning 320 miles give or take.

So this is pretty much the end of my build.....And even though it makes no sense financially or otherwise I can say I'm proud of the Journey both the boat and I have come from.

Thanks to all of you that offerd help and advice and to those that have followed this journey
Most folks it has to be said have been kind enough to humour me and for those that just dropped the odd sarcastic comment....well that's ok too.....I'm just me...100% genuine....and for that I make zero apologies.
Hopefully if all goes well I will post some pictures on the water....that would be payment for all the hard work.
Cheers , Stay safe... Foxy.
Ps if anyone needs to do powerboat level 2 there is a space next Mon/Tues as a student cancelled....pm me if interested. Click image for larger version

Name:	20220703_190125.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	141053

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220703_190148.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	141054

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220703_190254.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	141055
Old 06 July 2022, 18:23   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>even though it makes no sense financially or otherwise I can say I'm proud of the Journey

Even though not a ribber I've really enjoyed seeing what you've achieved. Totally agree with the sentiment as I have this attitude across many areas of life... it isn't always about the money, profit or potential gain.

Well done.
Old 06 July 2022, 18:27   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
>>even though it makes no sense financially or otherwise I can say I'm proud of the Journey

Even though not a ribber I've really enjoyed seeing what you've achieved. Totally agree with the sentiment as I have this attitude across many areas of life... it isn't always about the money, profit or potential gain.

Well done.
Cheers Pal.
Old 06 July 2022, 19:20   #4

Town: Leicester
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Well done.
Enjoy your trip & hope the weather plays nicely for you
Old 06 July 2022, 20:30   #5

Town: Malmesbury
Boat name: Wheres Dorris
Make: OCEAN
Length: 6m +
Engine: EVINRUDE ETEC 150 G1
Well done and good luck on the first trip!

Hopefully I will be finishing next week and be having a trial on a lake and then on the sea next weekend.
Old 06 July 2022, 20:41   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintman View Post
Well done.
Enjoy your trip & hope the weather plays nicely for you
Thanks, finger's crossed the sun comes out to play.
Old 06 July 2022, 20:44   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takson View Post
Well done and good luck on the first trip!

Hopefully I will be finishing next week and be having a trial on a lake and then on the sea next weekend.
My plan was to shake it down on the River near me but I ran out of time as I'm away with work Mon-Fri.
Good luck with your project.
Old 06 July 2022, 21:31   #8

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Really looking forward to seeing the finished result (if there is ever such a thing with a project like you've undertaken) on the water Foxy, post loads of pics and or videos.
Old 06 July 2022, 22:13   #9

Town: Aberdeenshire
Length: no boat
Obviously a labour of love for you and quite rightly proud of the results.
Hope the weather gods are good to you on the trials.
We are only new to boating (sib not rib) but like the other guys I would find it interesting to see more pics/videos
Old 07 July 2022, 07:01   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastasfox View Post
My plan was to shake it down on the River near me but I ran out of time as I'm away with work Mon-Fri.
Good luck with your project.
I can see similar happening for me. Shake down was meant to be last weekend, but I missed that one. I have one more chance before I am using it for safety boat off Torquay for two weeks.

I can see the first plash being on the slip at the marina.
Old 09 July 2022, 12:56   #11

How did it go?

Hopefully you have had a great day.
Old 10 July 2022, 05:48   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Really looking forward to seeing the finished result (if there is ever such a thing with a project like you've undertaken) on the water Foxy, post loads of pics and or videos.
Pictures I can do...but video I wouldn't have the first vlue how to upload on here. I'm in Cornwall and fetch the boat down next week after doing my powerboat level 2.
Hopefully the weather stays like it is now and I will indeed post more pictures of her on the water...if sll goes well.
Cheers.....Foxy.
Old 10 July 2022, 06:00   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takson View Post
How did it go?

Hopefully you have had a great day.
I'm in Cornwall and the boat is back at home.....I will fetch iit next week after completing my powerboat level 2 as I'm doing my training in Plymouth....so i will peg it up the M5 and bring her down Wednesday.
Hopefully the weather stays like it is now.
Cheers Foxy......picture's to follow next week.
Old 10 July 2022, 23:26   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastasfox View Post
I'm in Cornwall and the boat is back at home.....I will fetch iit next week after completing my powerboat level 2 as I'm doing my training in Plymouth....so i will peg it up the M5 and bring her down Wednesday.
Hopefully the weather stays like it is now.
Cheers Foxy......picture's to follow next week.
Who are you doing your PB2 with in Plymouth? You'll probably see us out in the sound at some point
Old 10 July 2022, 23:30   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehguy View Post
Who are you doing your PB2 with in Plymouth? You'll probably see us out in the sound at some point
A chap called Martin from Braye sea safety.....giz a wave if you see me.
Old 10 July 2022, 23:35   #16

Haven't heard of him, but it looks like he's based in Royal William Yard. We get our petrol from the fuel pontoon at Mayflower marina which is just opposite there.

You'll know us if you see us...Ribcraft 6.8 with black and blue tubes probably doing 38 knots
Old 11 July 2022, 22:00   #17

Quote:
Haven't heard of him, but it looks like he's based in Royal William Yard. We get our petrol from the fuel pontoon at Mayflower marina which is just opposite there.

You'll know us if you see us...Ribcraft 6.8 with black and blue tubes probably doing 38 knots
Having spent the day in the training rib I can tell you it is a 5.5m twin white hulled rib with blue tubes .....pretty sure it's the only cat hulled rib on Portsmouth.
Old 12 July 2022, 22:16   #18

Sorry mate didn't make it out Monday or Tuesday, we are going out on Wednesday morning instead.

How did your PB2 go?
Old 12 July 2022, 22:26   #19

Quote:
Sorry mate didn't make it out Monday or Tuesday, we are going out on Wednesday morning instead.

How did your PB2 go?
Brilliant I'm so glad i did it before I take my Rib out for a test...it just feels like this is a missing part of a jigsaw.
Martin was super calm which helped me relax and it wA clear he knew his onions.
Just need to put it all in to practice now to find out just what stuck. Back at home now ready to collect Wakey in the morning and then back to Cornwall.....wish me luck.
Cheers bud.
Old 13 July 2022, 07:40   #20

Town: Plymouth
Boat name: Sea Dragon
Make: Tornado Viking
Engine: 100 Yammy
It was really great to meet Fastasfox this week, great guy and we had a couple of good days on the water and poring over the various charts!

Hope all goes well with the drive and maiden voyage

If you ever need anything drop me an email, very glad to help and looking forward to meeting up on the water before too long

Tags
rib