Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 30 June 2021, 10:21   #1

Make: Ribeye
Length: 5m +
Safe sea conditions for a 5 metre RIB

I知 new to boating and still getting the hang of my 5 metre Ribeye, mainly sticking to trips from the hamble where I keep it to Cowes and along the coast to Portsmouth but sticking fairly close to shore.

Mechanically the boat and engine are in great condition and I have had everything serviced and have all necessary safety gear onboard. I致e also completed my PB2 course and have had an experienced skipper come with me on some trips to give me pointers and help me build confidence.

What I知 hoping for some advice on is what sort of sea conditions are safe for a RIB of that size? And what sort of distance you would be comfortable covering in it?

I was planning on heading over to the needles early Friday morning as it looks calm with little wind and hopefully less traffic than in a weekend, but getting some jitters!
Old 30 June 2021, 12:22   #2

Town: Dorset
Boat name: BlueTube
Make: XS500
Engine: Mercury Opti 75hp
MMSI: 235098668
Also have 5M (XS) RIB, Bought it with coastal cruising in mind but never dreamt at the time of purchase that it would be so capable regarding longer trips, have done whole coastline from Brighton to Lands End, 80nm of north Wales coast, around lundy etc often do 80nm a day the longest trip being 135nm ..... take small steps, slowly build some confidence and enjoy :-)
Old 30 June 2021, 12:48   #3

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
I was happy running 60 miles a day in my 4.7, carrying enough fuel for anything longer was the hic-up.

Longer trip restrictions are usually comfort, fuel and tea stops. A quick run over the the IOW will be simple in a 5m, and there's a pretty good chance your level of comfort will force you to give up well before the boat will stop being able to cope with anything longer.

You seem to be building the right way with good steps to widening your knowledge and skill set, it really is the best way.

Trips in company are always good and allow for skill build up, we've the Solent Bash coming up which is a longer trip with great company

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2021, 12:52   #4

Town: Cheltenham
Make: Marex
Length: 9m +
RIBase
As others have indicated - your boat will be more capable than its operator. Continue to go out and build confidence and gain experience - its what you do when things go tits up that matters. The needles will be fine just watch the tidal race at Hurst - it can get exciting and dangerous.
Old 30 June 2021, 14:15   #5

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
[QUOTE=Stansbo;838253 sticking fairly close to shore.

[/QUOTE]

As others have said build experience doing just what you're doing. The Solent is great for this - as its fairly small if it does become rougher than you expect it's not too far to get back home.

One thing to bear in mind is that it's often safer to be a little further offshore. If you have an issue you have more time to get the anchor down!
Old 30 June 2021, 14:52   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliee View Post
As others have indicated - your boat will be more capable than its operator. Continue to go out and build confidence and gain experience - its what you do when things go tits up that matters. The needles will be fine just watch the tidal race at Hurst - it can get exciting and dangerous.
Thanks for this, could you expand on your point about Hurst? I値l likely be out there whilst the tide is still on its way out so would be good to know what to expect!
Old 30 June 2021, 14:54   #7

Thanks for the replies everyone, good to know the weakest thing on my RIB will probably be me! I’ll keep taking things slowly and carefully until I’ve got a bit more experience before I venture too far.
Old 30 June 2021, 16:13   #8

Make: RC585
Engine: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stansbo View Post
Thanks for this, could you expand on your point about Hurst? I値l likely be out there whilst the tide is still on its way out so would be good to know what to expect!
According to my plotter the ebb tide through the Hurst Narrows on Friday morning starts to slow around 9.30 a.m. with the least flow between 10 and 11 a.m. by which time the flood is starting to pick up. The flood is running at maximum strength by 12 p.m.

It's a small tide anyway and coupled with the forecast light SE wind there's probably no better time to go through.

You'll probably get some turbulence but if you've been through Portsmouth Harbour entrance not much worse than you get there at the narrow bit.

Personally I'd aim to be at Hurst by 10 a.m. latest to give time for a run down to the Needles and back before the flood is strong.

To be honest though with the small neap tide and light winds it will probably be ok any time, just a bit bouncy.
Old 30 June 2021, 16:16   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrambler View Post
According to my plotter the ebb tide through the Hurst Narrows on Friday morning starts to slow around 9.30 a.m. with the least flow between 10 and 11 a.m. by which time the flood is starting to pick up. The flood is running at maximum strength by 12 p.m.

It's a small tide anyway and coupled with the forecast light SE wind there's probably no better time to go through.

You'll probably get some turbulence but if you've been through Portsmouth Harbour entrance not much worse than you get there at the narrow bit.

Personally I'd aim to be at Hurst by 10 a.m. latest to give time for a run down to the Needles and back before the flood is strong.

To be honest though with the small neap tide and light winds it will probably be ok any time, just a bit bouncy.
Thanks for this, very helpful!
Old 30 June 2021, 16:27   #10

Town: Cheltenham
Make: Marex
Length: 9m +
RIBase
Just don't forget your bungs (I think Ribeyes have them) there is a strong tidal race thru the Hurst narrows, things can get lively - you will see the disturbed water and can generally thread a path to avoid it if needed.
Old 30 June 2021, 16:34   #11

Make: RC585
Engine: 140
If you wait until Saturday morning you could join me and 10,000+ other people going through!
Old 30 June 2021, 16:36   #12

It’s my 40th on Saturday so I doubt I’ll be in a state to be in control of a boat!
Old 30 June 2021, 16:37   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliee View Post
Just don't forget your bungs (I think Ribeyes have them) there is a strong tidal race thru the Hurst narrows, things can get lively - you will see the disturbed water and can generally thread a path to avoid it if needed.
If you mean deck bungs, I have elephant trunks instead. Is it likely to get rough enough to need them then?
Old 01 July 2021, 06:40   #14

Town: Pembroke
Boat name: Rapscallion
Make: Humber Destroyer 6.0
Engine: E-TEC 150
Stansbo,
Firstly can I say it's great to see a Newby going about his intro to boating as you have. PB2, trips out with experienced skipper, right safety gear, asking for advice and clearly cautious about what you're taking on. I'd say your own judgement and caution will largely look after you here.
Echo what others (who know the solent better than me) have said about local conditions - remember to consider likely return conditions when you're on your way out.
As others have said, you are likely the weakest link but just make sure you are! Particularly make sure your battery and fuel tanks are well secured if there's any rough water likely.
Also are you taking passengers? Try not to scare them witless and they'll want to come again!
But most of all - ENJOY! and report back with photos [emoji4]
Old 01 July 2021, 07:31   #15

Town: Southsea
Boat name: Voodoo
Make: Ribtec
Length: 7m +
Engine: Mercruiser 350 Mag
RIBase
The first time you do a lap of the IOW will be fantastic for you. A real buzz. Keep doing things as you are and build the confidence. You are doing all the right things in the right way.
Old 01 July 2021, 16:45   #16
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Your boat will take far more than you can. I've been out in F8 wind against tide in my 5.4 Searider, though it's hard work in Solent chop. That's the time when you really appreciate being on the upper end of the rated HP for the hull.

Ditto when I had to remove a capsized Hoby-type catamaran from near the groynes in Hurst in F6 wind against tide. The boat was full by the time I'd finished. Trunks are wonderful. Keep them down if it's rough and learn to use the trim in a head and following sea....

Just an FYI,watch the disturbed water off Yarmouth, there were a few witnesses when I stuffed both my SR4 and SR5.4 there at speed in f6+.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 July 2021, 20:51   #17

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Black Bear
Make: Ribeye A683
Engine: Yamaha F225
MMSI: 232039276
Hi Stansbo,
I'm planning to go out tomorrow from Hamble Point to the Needles and back to Yarmouth for lunch. If you're still planning to go out tomorrow I'll be more than happy to guide you. It really is fine, and the weather is looking good for tomorrow.
Old 01 July 2021, 21:15   #18

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
That's a very good offer from FoxZulu. If you look at his posting history, you'll see he was in a similar position not that long ago (in the grand scheme of things) so he'll be ideal for accompanying you.

Another Ribeye as well.
Old 01 July 2021, 21:38   #19

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Black Bear
Make: Ribeye A683
Engine: Yamaha F225
MMSI: 232039276
Thanks GuyC. Yes, we're all still learning, but hopefully we can all help others out. I've learnt a tremendous amount from some really great members on here.
Old 02 July 2021, 08:13   #20

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
Next weekend for the Solent Lifeboat Bash is looking an ideal trip too, fairly light winds (if the forecast behaves) and to keep the distance down you can always join us for just the Hamble to Portsea and back element.

We're heading to Durdle door on Sunday too if you fancied joining us then as an option?

https://www.rib.net/forum/f18/solent...tml#post838190

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rib