Old 12 July 2023, 11:57   #1

Town: Thaxted
Boat name: Intrepid
Make: China
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard, 50hp
Rounding the Isle of Wight

I’ve had a trip planned for some months for this weekend to round the Isle of Wight with a mate, in my 4.8M RIB, 60HP fitted. Weather is not looking as good as it could be. Both my mate and I have been boating for some years around various bits of coast, but this will be our longest and most challenging trip yet. Just wanted to get some friendly opinions on whether these conditions are suitable. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6121.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	143065
Old 12 July 2023, 12:44   #2

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
It depends on how adventurous you are feeling looking at that report.

The Solent although obviously shielded can have a very confused sea state because of the complicated tidal systems, shallow areas, and 'the narrow bit'.
The result being that in a bit of a sea you could find it more comfortable in a 4.8M boat South of the Island in the bigger longer waves than getting in and out of the Solent at either end through the short frequency Solent Chop.

If it was me I'd probably still go for it, but be prepared to burn a lot more fuel than you think and be happy to turn back if not comfortable.
Old 12 July 2023, 12:44   #3

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Length: 7m +
Engine: Optimax 225
I think you know the answer - if you need to ask, don't.

A 30 knot wind off St Catherines point can easily be very nasty - albeit it, I'd be happy enough I could keep us safe if I got caught out and the weather turned. It's certainly doable, but running solo in a "small" rib (no offence intended - my best days boating ever used to be on a 4 or 5m searider with a 50/60 - and I am likely to own one again) with a nasty swell and no shelters or harbours on the south side if you change your mind or have a mechanical issue.....it's a what, 70 mile round trip? No problem when it's calm, but could be lifeboat nasty round st catherines in the rough.

Nasher's point re. swell - yeah, good point, sometimes you go past/round prince at the needles and it all smooths out.
But even so, 30 knots of wind, esp since it's been windy for a few days, will whip up a goodun round st catherines I reckon. I'd stay at home.
Old 12 July 2023, 20:04   #4

Town: Porchfield
Boat name: Katie
Make: Stingher
Length: 10m +
Engine: Verado 350 x 2
Obviously wind strength and tide direction will ultimately dictate sea states, the overfalls at St Catherine’s can and will bite you if you get it wrong, crossing a couple of years ago in my Stingher we had so much green water over and in the Rib we had our automatic life jackets going off, we were still in the boat! Lol
Old 12 July 2023, 21:51   #5

Town: Nottinghamshire
Boat name: Wakey
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 75 2 stroke
The boats can handle it....it's us that are the question mark I feel.
Be prepared to get wet.
I took a trip from Mylor to Gorran haven last week and going was fine, but on the way back the wind blew up and we were running against it, in some pretty big seas...force 5-6 (in gusts and not forcast) ..not ideal and not pleasant. If I hadn't got passengers I would have gone a little quicker and topping the waves would have been better.
We made it back safe and the boat handled it brilliantly....but I don't want to scare my wife so the next family trip will be in much calmer seas.....gotta keep the good lady onside.
If you're not 100% then change your plans..plenty of rivers down that way.
Old 13 July 2023, 07:24   #6

Town: Southsea
Boat name: Voodoo
Make: Ribtec
Length: 7m +
Engine: Mercruiser 350 Mag
RIBase
This weekend High Tide is around 11 am so after that it will be running E to W.....wind from SW against tide round St Cats will be bloody horrible.....been round the Island in both race and leisure situations and only on a couple of occasions have found the south of the island to be pleasant. Out of interest which direction are you planning to go in ?
Old 13 July 2023, 23:34   #7

Town: Thaxted
Boat name: Intrepid
Make: China
Engine: Outboard, 50hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo View Post
This weekend High Tide is around 11 am so after that it will be running E to W.....wind from SW against tide round St Cats will be bloody horrible.....been round the Island in both race and leisure situations and only on a couple of occasions have found the south of the island to be pleasant. Out of interest which direction are you planning to go in ?

We were planning on hitting the East coast first (clockwise from approach), but we’ve decided to postpone until next weekend. When I called our overnight birth in East Cowes up to move our reservation, they told me that we’d made the right decision! Thanks to all for your input. We like a challenge but there can come a point where it’s more terrifying than fun, and that’s not what we’re wanting from the weekend.
Old 17 July 2023, 10:35   #8

Town: Southampton
Make: avon adventure 4.5
Engine: 50hp e-tec
It was flipping orrid out there yesterday, i heard a rib squawking on ch16 that they had lost power and were taking on water. Hamble lifeboat sped past us to go help... We also spotted a big yacht coming in with its genoa ripped to shreds. I was in a yacht and it was exciting enough in more sheltered areas let alone a 4.8m rib of st caths..... You made the right choice i feel!