Old 31 August 2011, 16:02   #1

Town: London
Length: no boat
River Thames advice

Hi

Looking for some advice.

Live very close to the river Thames around kew bridge. Have found moorings and looking to buy a boat for family days out on the Thames.

We will mostly be going non tidal *to Richmond but want the option to go as far as Westminster*

There will be mostly 3 people and a dog but would like to take max of 6. Two of which will be children.

I have a budget of £5000 perhaps more.

What type of rib should I go for*

my key questions

The size what is the best to sit children comfortably

The engine what will be good for going low revs on non tidal river but also have power for tidal*

Should I go for four or two stroke.

Also about training. I am an experienced sailor but what to get *powerboat training does anyone do these on the Thames

Rib share. I am also open to the idea of a rib share if anyone is interested thanks.*
Old 31 August 2011, 16:40   #2

Town: London
Length: 4m +
Hi,

I recently purchased a 5.5m Humber RIB with a couple of friends that is moored in Kew Marine (right by Kew Bridge), its the Orange one on the end if you ever walk past and are curious!

We're definitely not experts, but from the research I've done and the experince we've got so far I'd say this:

If you intend to go non-tidal, get a 4 stroke
For the tidal part I personally wouldn't feel comfortable with less than the 60HP we have (however I'm sure some will disagree and say you can get away with far less, which is true, I'm merely saying I personally wouldn't want to)
If you are going to be chugging along on the non-tidal part I would definitely consider something with enough seating for everyone, shooting down the river at speed with 3-4 people is fine for an hour or so, but it gets uncomfortable for those sitting on the tubes for a whole 6-8 hour day!
There are loads of Powerboat trainers on the Thames, we all did our courses with Taz Marine and we felt this really helped us
£5,000 should be more than enough, one thing I would say (mainly for the tidal section) is that make sure you allow for lifejackets within your budget, personally on the tidal section I consider these essential

Hope that helps, happy to try and answer any questions you have!

Vidal
Old 31 August 2011, 18:48   #3

Town: Herne Bay
Boat name: Red May
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp Honda 4 Stroke
MMSI: Is quite long
Send a message via Skype™ to actions
Quote:
Originally Posted by vjmehra View Post
one thing I would say (mainly for the tidal section) is that make sure you allow for lifejackets within your budget, personally on the tidal section I consider these essential

I'd say essential for any place on any water. Cold shock is a killer even in flat calm waters. I would never take the boat out or any passenger out without one.