Old 05 July 2006, 09:05   #1

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: RIBcat 620
Make: RIBcat 620
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard 90hp x 2
Press Release - RIBcat 620

Please see below the press release for the NEW RIbcat 620.

I'm rubbish at IT stuff so please visit www.ribcats.com for piccies.

Press Release

For immediate release

a new, affordable and stunning 21-foot family RIBcat is launched at Southampton Boat Show 2006

The RIBcat 620 is a new 21 foot catamaran RIB now being imported into the UK and Europe by Motorcats Ltd. Offering low cost, safe but fast cruising, the trailerable RIBcat 620 is aimed at the family and young powerboat market.

The RIBcat 620 is built in South Africa, the home of Catamaran design and build. The lightweight, sandwich construction of twin hulls means that the RIBcat offers fast comfortable cruising and can be trailed easily offering numerous benefits in terms of mooring costs and flexibility of use.

Commenting on the UK launch of the RIBcat 620, Nick DaCosta-Greene, Sales Manager for MotorCats, the Sole Distributor for the UK and parts of Europe said, “The RIBcat 620 is a simple, easy, affordable and versatile Cat which looks stunning, this fresh and exciting design will inject something different to the RIB market.”

The twin hulled, composite structure of the RIBcat 620, matched with the use of Hydrofoils, makes it extremely resilient and lightweight and permits the use of smaller engines. Standard recommended engines are twin Yamaha 50hp 4 stoke outboards but there are engine options up to twin 90hp or single 150hp Yamaha. Top speed is estimated to be in the region of 50 knots . The hydrofoil principal has been shown to consume up to 40% less fuel than alternative monohulls using similar sized engines.

The RIBcat 620 was designed in South African by Ben Lochner, the Founder and General Manager of Argo Boats, Capetown. Ben has been the Project Manager on various international project and has applied himself to many fields of boat building, from conceptual design and working drawings to project and production management. Ben worked as Manager and Technical Director at three yards before founding ARGO BOATS.

Full details of the RIBcat can be seen on www.ribcats.com which highlights the boat’s sleek design and stunning performance levels.

The price for this boat from - £35,000 inc Vat with twin 70hp Yamaha Four Strokes

Ends

Please take time to look at our website www.ribcats.com for pictures and any other information.

We are currently looking for Dealers in the UK and in Europe - please email tradesales@mcproducts.net for more information.

Best regards,

Nick DaCosta-Greene
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0628.JPG
Views:	343
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	20661   Click image for larger version

Name:	Small fender.JPG
Views:	464
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	20662   Click image for larger version

Name:	tender-cat-21-at-sea.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	20663   Click image for larger version

Name:	D-Tube.JPG
Views:	423
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	20664  
Old 05 July 2006, 09:34   #2
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
I thought this might be interesting, and Nick cleared it with me first. I trust that if things work out for them we'll have a new trade member soon!

John
Old 05 July 2006, 14:08   #3

Town: Christchurch
Boat name: Sha-my-sha-my
Make: Valiant
Length: 4m +
I'd be interested in a drive of one. Deck configuration no good for us though
Old 05 July 2006, 14:10   #4

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
will you be on the water at the boat show or just on land?
Old 05 July 2006, 15:22   #5

Deck config and SIBS

The deck configuration can be changed to suit the needs of the user. We have designs for military and government work too (police, fire and rescue etc...)

Unfortunately no, we won't be on the water at Southampton, however, we will be before and after - but I would prefer to get the boat ready and nice and shiny for SIBS. Your welcome to try her out after the show.
Old 05 July 2006, 15:47   #6

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
if you are doing demo's then be sure to post here i for one would be keen to see this on the water.
Old 05 July 2006, 19:13   #7

Town: Stockholm
Make: KR7
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude 150 H.O
40% fuel bill reduction? 2x90 hp yamaha
Old 06 July 2006, 09:36   #8

Fuel Bill Reduction

The fuel reduction is taken from a 40% increase in speed on smaller engines compared to that of a similar sized monohull on larger engines reaching the same speeds.

The monohull drank more with the same amount of horse power (40% more) whilst the RIBcats hull design and the hydrofoils allowed it to get onto the plane quickly and efficiently and top speeds were reached burning less fuel (46 knots). We have recently changed the angle on of the chine on the spray rails, this has given us an extra 5 knots, our new est. top speed is 51 Knots.

The tests were not carried out using 2 x Yamaha 90's. They were Suzuki 70's, the water was flat and very little wind - for both test boats.
Old 06 July 2006, 11:06   #9

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Certainly looks like an interesting boat, albeit more CAT than RIB if you know what I mean! Am I right that it is foil assisted like the Hysucat?
Old 06 July 2006, 11:11   #10

Town: Macclesfield
Boat name: Aqua Fresh
Make: Zodiac Medline
Length: 5m +
Engine: 60hp Yamaha
MMSI: 235051988
Cat or Rib

How come in some of the pictures the boat has tubes and in the others it dose'nt ?

looks good though
Old 06 July 2006, 11:13   #11

Foil Assisted Cat Hull

Yes, it CAN be foil assisted, but the extra speed and fuel efficiency comes from having these fitted. The boat will do 40 knots without the foils fitted.

The back end relies partially on the tubes, as you will notice they sit just above the water and then sit in the water right at the aft end. This RIB is available without the tubes too, but the deck sides are slightly higher and the beam is slightly thinner to ensure that it stays afloat with similar benefits of the RIBcat.

The tubes are inflated all the way to the bow, so if for whatever reason the nose dived into the water it would come back out with relative ease. Its best to think of the RIBcat as a RIB hybrid, in my view.
Old 07 July 2006, 14:01   #12

Boat Availability

The RIBcat will be here at the end of August - if you would like to book a ride/viewing then please email tradesales@mcproducts.net

Bookings will be taken for end of September and beginning of October - best bring a jacket!!
Old 07 July 2006, 14:06   #13

Production Piccies

Here is the deck from the mould, for those interested you will see that there is plenty of stowage in the bow, fwd seats and aft seating too.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...alot/Deck2.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...alot/Deck1.jpg
Old 07 July 2006, 15:38   #14

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
I don't call £35k "low-cost"
Old 07 July 2006, 15:58   #15

Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
Tim,

You wont get the kind of prices you've become accustomed to for ever dude!

35k is almost to low for credibility in some circles, take for instance almost everyone who drives a Range Rover Sport, what a comedy car! I burst out laughing whenever I see one.

....." I'd like the best off road vehicle I can buy"
"that'll be the Ibex Sir"
"I want to fit low profile alloys"
....."that'll be the Range Rover Sport Sir and would Sir like us to fit tractor tyres to his Caterham Super 7 as well they'd look lovely"

How is LUECs ex-DB2? have you renamed her yet?
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 July 2006, 16:02   #16

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Hi Simon. Shes all finished and on the water now. She's now called "Neptune", Ive very pleased with the results Started on my next project now....

As for the price on this cat thing, 35k for a 6m open boat with two small engines. You've got to be having a laugh. Have a look on boatsandoutboards; you could pick something up that will sleep six in comfort with a wine fridge and a shower for that!
Old 07 July 2006, 16:12   #17

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
the reality of whether £35k is low cost or not will be borne out in the number of sales, if they sell like hot cakes then your marketing will have proved useful, if you dont sell any and have to keep dropping the price to attract a customer then i would venture to suggest over priced.

the market and the strength of your sales and marketing will decide i guess.

its an interesting concept but as a regular rib owner i would not consider one as it does not look strong enough for my perception of what a rib needs to be capable of.
Old 07 July 2006, 16:19   #18

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
another question......

if jumping some largish waves, what is the hull like for landing, would it be soft or would it slam

I would have thought the two hulls being thinner would give less progressive boyancy and if water hit the top of the inner gap it would slam uncomfortably

just wondered...
Old 08 July 2006, 18:20   #19

Town: Ventura, California
Boat name: Maverick
Make: Ribcraft Mitigator
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2 150 hp Johnsons
Take a look at these, http://www.hysucat.co.uk/. We had a dealer in our area and he sold a few of the smaller ones but the idea never caught on and they are by no means a RIB. I took the dealer out in our 7.8 Ribcraft and showed him what a real RIB experience was like. He was very impressed.

I have also been on the cat and I'll just say it was a completely different type of ride than the RIB. I would not feel safe doing the same things I do with RIBs. The quality of the Hysucat was also very poor and they didn't seem to hold up well to abuse (normal RIB use).
Channelwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 July 2006, 21:14   #20

Make: FB 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channelwatch
Take a look at these, http://www.hysucat.co.uk/. We had a dealer in our area and he sold a few of the smaller ones but the idea never caught on and they are by no means a RIB. I took the dealer out in our 7.8 Ribcraft and showed him what a real RIB experience was like. He was very impressed.

I have also been on the cat and I'll just say it was a completely different type of ride than the RIB. I would not feel safe doing the same things I do with RIBs. The quality of the Hysucat was also very poor and they didn't seem to hold up well to abuse (normal RIB use).
Clearly another person who does not have a clue what he is talking about