Old 03 May 2021, 16:47   #1

Town: London
Boat name: OCHI II
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 800
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225hp Suzuki OB
Portugal - by ferry and Road

Hi Everyone I hope you’re all well and enjoying new found freedoms as we ease out of lockdown.

We are hoping to take the Boat to Portugal this summer. A bit of searching on the topic indicates a few of you may already have some experience of this.

Our plan is to take the ferry in late July to Santander and then drive to the Algarve. We will hopefully berth in Vilamoura marina for the duration and then return in late August.

It looks like the Marina requires UK registration which I have now applied for, does anyone know how long that takes to come through?

The ferry arrives at 8am in Spain, is Portugal possible in one day straight? Or will we need an overnight on the way (looks an 11hour drive)

Does anyone know of a hotel we can stop off on the way back whilst towing a large 7-8m long trailer (ideally in northern Spain - Valladolid, Salamanca). The ferry is 3pm departure so we will need to break the back of the journey the previous day.

I presume I bring insurance, my ICC, RYA papers, radio license etc, anything else you can think of??

Any guidance you all have would be hugely appreciated and if you think this is a totally mental idea, feel free to say that also ;-)

Best

J

Old 03 May 2021, 17:18   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Portugal - by ferry and Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTURNER View Post
Hi Everyone I hope you’re all well and enjoying new found freedoms as we ease out of lockdown.

We are hoping to take the Boat to Portugal this summer. A bit of searching on the topic indicates a few of you may already have some experience of this.

Our plan is to take the ferry in late July to Santander and then drive to the Algarve. We will hopefully berth in Vilamoura marina for the duration and then return in late August.

It looks like the Marina requires UK registration which I have now applied for, does anyone know how long that takes to come through?

The ferry arrives at 8am in Spain, is Portugal possible in one day straight? Or will we need an overnight on the way (looks an 11hour drive)

Does anyone know of a hotel we can stop off on the way back whilst towing a large 7-8m long trailer (ideally in northern Spain - Valladolid, Salamanca). The ferry is 3pm departure so we will need to break the back of the journey the previous day.

I presume I bring insurance, my ICC, RYA papers, radio license etc, anything else you can think of??

Any guidance you all have would be hugely appreciated and if you think this is a totally mental idea, feel free to say that also ;-)

Best

J

Been to Portugal 3 times & can’t wait to get back. Bear in mind we’ve done it with a campervan & had no time pressure. We towed our 5.45 RC on a meaty twin axle trailer. My initial thoughts:-
The Santander route is very expensive & takes 24 hrs (ish)
If your outfit vehicle/trailer exceeds 12m length, you need rear marker boards in Spain & are subject to a maximum speed of 50mph iirc (check this)
You’re going at the hottest time of year.
Portuguese marinas (and the Portuguese people) are very friendly & helpful, Marina prices are a bargain compared to UK, but be prepared to have to crane the boat in, slips are few & far between.
You will need to buy a carnet for the Portuguese motorway, dirt cheap to buy, but penalties steep for not having one.
The Algarve, been there done that, don’t rate it. The Atlantic west coast is much better & fewer Brits eating all day breakfast & watching live premier league on Sky. Sagres is stunning IMO, large sheltered harbour, free launch.
Not been since “The Thing” happened, but took all the usual paperwork. ICC/ship’s & personal radio licences, insurance, SSR, HMRC T2 form, technically not required but there are instances of people being asked for them. They are available free from HMRC & prove that the vessel is VAT paid. This may have changed since “The Thing”.
If your trailer is over 3500kg mgw, it needs registering, I doubt it will be. I also carry copies of original sales invoice & builders certificate.
If I think of anything else I’ll update you.
Salamanca is stunning.

Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y
Pikey Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04 May 2021, 01:48   #3

Town: Chelmsford
Length: 4m +
Sounds very interesting and exciting. Are you planning to post photos/video etc of your trip on here ?
Old 04 May 2021, 07:35   #4

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Been to Portugal 3 times & can’t wait to get back. Bear in mind we’ve done it with a campervan & had no time pressure. We towed our 5.45 RC on a meaty twin axle trailer. My initial thoughts:-
The Santander route is very expensive & takes 24 hrs (ish)
If your outfit vehicle/trailer exceeds 12m length, you need rear marker boards in Spain & are subject to a maximum speed of 50mph iirc (check this)
You’re going at the hottest time of year.
Portuguese marinas (and the Portuguese people) are very friendly & helpful, Marina prices are a bargain compared to UK, but be prepared to have to crane the boat in, slips are few & far between.
You will need to buy a carnet for the Portuguese motorway, dirt cheap to buy, but penalties steep for not having one.
The Algarve, been there done that, don’t rate it. The Atlantic west coast is much better & fewer Brits eating all day breakfast & watching live premier league on Sky. Sagres is stunning IMO, large sheltered harbour, free launch.
Not been since “The Thing” happened, but took all the usual paperwork. ICC/ship’s & personal radio licences, insurance, SSR, HMRC T2 form, technically not required but there are instances of people being asked for them. They are available free from HMRC & prove that the vessel is VAT paid. This may have changed since “The Thing”.
If your trailer is over 3500kg mgw, it needs registering, I doubt it will be. I also carry copies of original sales invoice & builders certificate.
If I think of anything else I’ll update you.
Salamanca is stunning.

Ps, I really can’t see it happening this year without having to jump through a sh1t load of Covid related hoops. I’m not even considering it until 2022 when things have settled.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 04 May 2021, 07:47   #5

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
How do you prove something is vat paid if it was purchased second hand from a private seller? Maybe you've had the boat some years?
Old 04 May 2021, 08:43   #6

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limecc View Post
How do you prove something is vat paid if it was purchased second hand from a private seller? Maybe you've had the boat some years?

Dunno🤷*♂️ maybe contact the original seller/dealer/manufacturer & ask for a copy of the original sales invoice. Tbh HMRC aren’t bothered & would probably issue a T2 for an old bus ticket. You print the form, fill it in & send it to HMRC & they stamp it & return it. It’s a nonsense & even goes against EU rules as it’s not what the form was intended for. It’s basically officials in foreign ports mis-interpreting the EU’s own rules.