Old 30 November 2008, 21:32   #1

Town: London
Boat name: Yellow Peril
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 100 (2T)
Police Stop!

Cruised the Thames today in my SIB, heading down from Richmond. Got to the infamous Dome despite the chop.

Whilst in Central London (near Blackfriars) got stopped by Police Boat. "We don't know you, and we are stopping all boats we don't know. If you were a closed cabin boat we'd search you."

Me "Why"

Cop "Terrorism. Name and address please!"

Well, given that the UK government is now arresting opposition MP's, I gave my name and address. Figured that I'd have more hassle if I didn't co-operate.
Old 30 November 2008, 22:14   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnob View Post
Cruised the Thames today in my SIB, heading down from Richmond. Got to the infamous Dome despite the chop.

Whilst in Central London (near Blackfriars) got stopped by Police Boat. "We don't know you, and we are stopping all boats we don't know. If you were a closed cabin boat we'd search you."

Me "Why"

Cop "Terrorism. Name and address please!"

Well, given that the UK government is now arresting opposition MP's, I gave my name and address. Figured that I'd have more hassle if I didn't co-operate.
Has been mentioned here before as their standard operating procedure so you weren't singled out. I think what matters is if they were polite, courteous and efficient. If the above was the entire conversation I don't think that sounds particularly friendly - and since they don't seem to have caught anyone not sure why they should be hostile. Did you get any paperwork from them?
Old 30 November 2008, 22:29   #3
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
Standard practice I'm afraid.

Wave, say hello, be nice check out their nice big Delta rib with ramming plates mounted on the front.

Sign of the times.

When you consider how close you can get to the Houses of Parliament and MI5 it's pretty astounding that's all you get.

Next time you go past the HoP check out the white Merc Sprinter van with blacked out windows parked on the south bank. Never moves.
Old 30 November 2008, 22:35   #4

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJL View Post
Next time you go past the HoP check out the white Merc Sprinter van with blacked out windows parked on the south bank. Never moves.
And the little Red dot that appears on your forehead as you pass

Nasher
Old 30 November 2008, 22:41   #5
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Wave, say hello, be nice check out their nice big Delta rib with ramming plates mounted on the front.
Nah, ask to come aboard when they stop you so you can look at the boat.
I've never been stopped on the boat by police, but they didn't like it when I got off the bike and demanded to be let into the warmth inside the police car then started asking what everything did
It seems to make them want to leave. I don't think they can handle people being overly friendly

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2008, 23:07   #6
JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Try taking a camera and tripod through London. They aren't that friendly then! In fact your lucky if you come back out of London with your camera gear!
Old 01 December 2008, 02:53   #7

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Maybe if they hadn't let so many people into the country things would be different - and of course it's not PC to only stop the REAL suspects.......
Old 01 December 2008, 05:08   #8

Town: Oregon
Make: zodiac 550 SRMN
Engine: Yamaha F15
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Maybe if they hadn't let so many people into the country things would be different - and of course it's not PC to only stop the REAL suspects.......
to bad that attitude is everywhere, they have to take up way to much of there time being politacally correct now days.
Old 01 December 2008, 07:29   #9

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
You're assuming that the van belongs to HMG, however it could belong to the Ruskies

Pete
Old 01 December 2008, 08:50   #10
RIBnet supporter

Town: Reykjavik
Boat name: Cheesee
Make: Seaquel 600 XS
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 275 Verado
Send a message via Skype™ to bogib
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Nah, ask to come aboard when they stop you so you can look at the boat.
I've never been stopped on the boat by police, but they didn't like it when I got off the bike and demanded to be let into the warmth inside the police car then started asking what everything did
It seems to make them want to leave. I don't think they can handle people being overly friendly
If you ever come this way, I can give you tour on an Icelandic police car which in many way has more equipment than ordinary UK police car, also could show you SWAT vehicle

Bogi
Old 01 December 2008, 10:23   #11

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Are they being a little more on the ball due to the whole Mumbai attacks - arrived by what seemed to be a large ( if slightly knackered) SIB ? If so good job.

As said you can get damn close. A big RIB at 50+ knts filled with nutters / bombs could be virtually unstoppable on the thames.

I'm not sure the cops have anything that coudl get near it. ( bullets excluded ! )
Old 01 December 2008, 11:01   #12

Town: Shotts
Boat name: Shakespeare's Play
Make: shakespeare
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250hp Verado
MMSI: 235066167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackroady View Post
Are they being a little more on the ball due to the whole Mumbai attacks - arrived by what seemed to be a large ( if slightly knackered) SIB ? If so good job.

As said you can get damn close. A big RIB at 50+ knts filled with nutters / bombs could be virtually unstoppable on the thames.

I'm not sure the cops have anything that coudl get near it. ( bullets excluded ! )
I'm not so sure they couldnt stop you at 50knts ....surprising what the police have at their disposal, a simple net would have you stopped pretty quick.......the hard bit would be who makes the desicion to GO in case its innocents like what has happened before ... a bit like high speed car chases, a desicion has to be made whether or not to chase in case of hurtiing themselves or bystanders

considering what happened in Mumbai i'm glad they take an interest in strange vessels..

I
Old 01 December 2008, 11:53   #13

Quote:

Fair enough. But there are a couple of flaws in implementation:

1) I had actually been past Parliament before I was stopped, between Blackfriars and the Millenium Bridge
2) Having stopped my SIB and observed the entire contents of the boat (two middle aged men, 8hp Yamaha, fuel tank, chart wallet) what the point of taking my details?

It reminded me of the police presence at Waterloo station – it always comprises small groups of CSO’s chatting to each other. They are oblivious to much of what goes on.
Old 01 December 2008, 12:41   #14

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Fair enough. But there are a couple of flaws in implementation:

1) I had actually been past Parliament before I was stopped, between Blackfriars and the Millenium Bridge
2) Having stopped my SIB and observed the entire contents of the boat (two middle aged men, 8hp Yamaha, fuel tank, chart wallet) what the point of taking my details?

It reminded me of the police presence at Waterloo station – it always comprises small groups of CSO’s chatting to each other. They are oblivious to much of what goes on.
Couldn't agree more - comparing Bombay to here is crazy.

India has always had a problem with this sort of terrorism due to the partioning of kashmir etc.

The IRA were one of the most organised terrorist groups anywhere and they DID launch an attack on Downing Street. We weren't treated like this in those days!!!

Back in 2000 there WAS a rocket attack on the MI6 headquarters which is right on the banks of the Thames.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/934937.stm

They didn't start targetting 2 blokes in a dinghy then.

Give the Police extra powers and they WILL abuse them - as witnessed in the Damian Green fiasco!!!
Old 01 December 2008, 12:46   #15

Town: Hamble
The MI6 building also got targeted by that bint in the Sunseeker, but James put paid to her!
Old 01 December 2008, 13:22   #16

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
OK - you probably can stop a boat going quick , but can the cops respond that quick ? ( excluding missiles etc ) If thay can only stop a boat with 8hp after its gone past what could they realistically do ( apart from so you for speeding !) ? I reckon we will be raided for even posting on the thread topic, all under the counter terrorism laws ! - I'm offski !
Old 01 December 2008, 15:29   #17

Quote:
OK - you probably can stop a boat going quick , but can the cops respond that quick ? ( excluding missiles etc ) If thay can only stop a boat with 8hp after its gone past what could they realistically do ( apart from so you for speeding !) ? I reckon we will be raided for even posting on the thread topic, all under the counter terrorism laws ! - I'm offski !
Mumbai might justify ‘taking action,’ and I don’t disagree with the idea of a Standard Operating Procedure of investigating all marine craft.

However it still ends up with my name on database, as a person who has been checked in relation to the prevention of terrorism. As said above, it dilutes attention away from actual Al-Quaeda members.

Gets a bureaucrat to put a tick in the Government box, though.

PS. The conversation was more polite than my brief report showed.
Old 01 December 2008, 15:30   #18

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Quote:
I'm not sure the cops have anything that could get near it. ( bullets excluded ! )
Given the way the Home Secretary acted over the Police pay rise last year there may not be too many Police officers wanting to stop someone doing a Guy Fawkes on the H of P. They would be better off taking photos of the attack and flogging them to fleet street.

Pete
Old 01 December 2008, 15:59   #19
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
However it still ends up with my name on database, as a person who has been checked in relation to the prevention of terrorism. As said above, it dilutes attention away from actual Al-Quaeda members.
if your treatment was not consistent with this: http://www.met.police.uk/stopandsearch/what_is.htm including being advised of your rights (and the right not to provide your name and address) then you could write to the met asking them to destroy all records of their unauthorised stop and search! Of course that may mean next time you are on the thames they decide that you deserve even more thorough attention.
Quote:
Gets a bureaucrat to put a tick in the Government box, though.
well that keeps pen pushers in jobs which is good for the ecconomy
Old 01 December 2008, 16:43   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
if your treatment was not consistent with this: http://www.met.police.uk/stopandsearch/what_is.htm including being advised of your rights (and the right not to provide your name and address)
I got no paperwork, and very little of the protocol in that interesting link to Stop and Search. Never mind - maybe the law of the sea is different!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
well that keeps pen pushers in jobs which is good for the ecconomy
Well I work most of the year to pay income tax, NI, duty, council tax, and VAT. I must be in the wrong part of the economy - got any cushy jobs Gordon? 6 million employees can't be wrong!