Old 08 February 2014, 13:45   #1

Town: Widnes
Boat name: FROG
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard 6hp
North West Launching

Can anyone suggest anywhere for me to go on my 3.1 Zodiac with 6hp motor.
I live in Widnes so am handy for N Wales/Southport. I have travelled on the Bridgewater Canal and would also like to try the sea, but how safe are the beaches? Talacre, Abergele etc. I will be carrying the equiptment to the sea so accessability is a must. I would try LLandudno but I only seem to get a decent day weather when I have only half day available so that is a bit too far. I fancy the R.Weaver but where can I launch it cheaply. After buying a river and canal licence I don't want to fork out another £25 on fees just for a couple of hours.

I will be going to Anglesey this year but I will stay away from the Straits don't worry.

Any suggestions would be appreciated thanks

Andy
Old 08 February 2014, 14:24   #2

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by apshutt View Post
Can anyone suggest anywhere for me to go on my 3.1 Zodiac with 6hp motor.
I live in Widnes so am handy for N Wales/Southport. I have travelled on the Bridgewater Canal and would also like to try the sea, but how safe are the beaches? Talacre, Abergele etc. I will be carrying the equiptment to the sea so accessability is a must. I would try LLandudno but I only seem to get a decent day weather when I have only half day available so that is a bit too far. I fancy the R.Weaver but where can I launch it cheaply. After buying a river and canal licence I don't want to fork out another £25 on fees just for a couple of hours.

I will be going to Anglesey this year but I will stay away from the Straits don't worry.

Any suggestions would be appreciated thanks

Andy
don't stay away from the Straits, there is plenty of good cruising to be had for you there
Old 08 February 2014, 14:48   #3

Town: abergele
Boat name: all mine
Make: ribtec 3m
Engine: tohatsu 9.8 hp 2st
I launch from Pensarn, Llandudno, Rhyl, all easy to launch and fishing is ok, if you go over the cobbel bridge in Pensarn turn right and launch from there, head toward's llanddulas the fishing is geat, but watch for the large rocks close in (have a look at low tide), Llandudno head down into Llandudno from the little orme and park before the paddling pool and launch from there you can the fish the little and great orme, Rhyl go just past the new foot bridge on your left there is a little slip about 500 yards past it you can launch there, but if you have a car and trailer there when you get back you have had a good day lol
Old 08 February 2014, 16:52   #4

Town: Galway
Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by slate1234 View Post
I launch from Pensarn, Llandudno, Rhyl, all easy to launch and fishing is ok, if you go over the cobbel bridge in Pensarn turn right and launch from there, head toward's llanddulas the fishing is geat, but watch for the large rocks close in (have a look at low tide), Llandudno head down into Llandudno from the little orme and park before the paddling pool and launch from there you can the fish the little and great orme, Rhyl go just past the new foot bridge on your left there is a little slip about 500 yards past it you can launch there, but if you have a car and trailer there when you get back you have had a good day lol
If you launch from Pensarn, don't get your anchor caught on the 4 export cables we laid for the Gwynt-y-Mor windfarm last year. They were buried to a depth of 1.5 metres between 50-200 metres east of the wrecked storm drain outfall pipe but who knows what the winter storms have done since...

In all seriousness, I saw a few people launch SIBs from Pensarn Beach but can't say I saw anyone return with any fish!
Old 08 February 2014, 17:08   #5

Yes I launched a few times wile work was ongoing, I have had loads of mackrel, a few bass and cod from Pensarn/ Llanddulas, I just keep getting crap from the council guy who is incharge of parking and dog s,,t but I just ignore him, he's just a job's worth, that was a nice rib bobing around, and how did you get that boat that was laying the cable so close to the shore in that depth of water, I go a fair way out and there it very shallow
Old 08 February 2014, 20:37   #6

I will take a look at the Straits another time Chris butnot this year.

Pensarn would be great as I work in Abergele Fridays so I know where you are on about Slate1234, What's the problem with the council guy?
I had a look on Googla Maps at Llandudno and thought that parking near the swimming pool wouuld be a better option than the slipway at/near the Great Orme. Also heard there is a guy there who tries to charge you £25 for launching with or without a trailor!
I will be careful of those cables Barrowboy.

Thanks all. God bless you and I have a few options now.

Andy
Old 09 February 2014, 07:59   #7

The council guy is a dope, just ignore him and launch, I asked the RNLI in rhyl and they couldn't see a problem with it as long as I use common sense regarding bather's, they also advised me to get insurance (£48.00) for a year which I have, it's the same council in Llandudno but nobody bothers you there and the slip your talking of is for the RNLI so I dont think you should use that, there a lot of people useing sib's and kayak's from Llandudno but you really need a early tide as it does get busy there in the summer, if you drop me a PM when you plan on going either from Llandudno or Pensarn I will see if I can make it
If you go to Llanddulas at low tide you will see what I mean about the rock's there, it also has a slip there but please dont even attempt to use it it's very steep and has 3ft drop off onto rock's
Old 09 February 2014, 08:36   #8

Boat name: Carpe Diem
Make: Ribeye 650S
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Widnes

Morning Andy, I also live in Widnes (small world!)

Have you ever thought about joining Liverpool Sailing Club (just behind the airport) as I think its £140 for a full years membership and you can launch as many times as you want from their long concrete slipway.

Liverpool Sailing Club is where I started and gained my experience and the members are really helpful however I will now be spending more of my time in Anglessey as thanks to other ribnet members (vast boating area/exploration and cleaner water)

When I eventually get my next boat it will be keeping it at LSC during the winter and then it will be kept in Caernfaron in the summer.

I am going to LSC later on today I could pick you up and show you round the premises if you are interested?

Gareth
Old 09 February 2014, 16:37   #9

LSC visit

Thanks for that Gareth, errr a bit late getting online so won't be taking up your offer today but please yes would love to visit there. What's the water quality like?
Old 09 February 2014, 16:39   #10

Town: Galway
Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by apshutt View Post
What's the water quality like?
I wouldn't drink it
Old 09 February 2014, 16:42   #11

Boat name: Carpe Diem
Make: Ribeye 650S
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
No problem, water quality isn't as good as Anglessey as its relatively clean from chemicals etc but you can't see the bottom due to the silt and mud in the river.

Gareth
Old 09 February 2014, 16:46   #12

Thank you sir I will take you up on that offer if I may? I don't think it will be this month though )
I work in the Herbal Shop near the Jade Leaf cafe on Fridays

Andy
Old 09 February 2014, 16:46   #13

Lol don't intend too )
Old 09 February 2014, 16:47   #14

Thanks Gareth
Old 08 August 2014, 12:28   #15

Town: Cheshire
Make: Honwave 3.2
Engine: Tohatsu 15hp
Does anyone know if you need to register with the council for launching at Pensarn???...

...or should I say, am I likely to be stopped from launching from the beach?
Old 08 August 2014, 17:39   #16

No need to register, thats where I launch from, you can launch 1.5 hours before high tide and recover 1.5hours after high tide (5.5m) is the lowest I can launch/ recover, fishing is good at llandulas, it's a very easy beach to launch from lots of room to the right of the cobbled bridge, if your going down drop me a pm I would be glad to help out