Old 17 January 2021, 20:37   #1

Town: Ireland
Make: Zodiac Open550
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda 75hp EFi
New Steering

The old cable steering system on my rib is badly worn and there is a quarter turn of play in it. The boat is fitted with a 75hp Honda. A new cable system here in Ireland is coming in at around €220-250. One supplier is selling a Mavi Mare hydraulic steering system for around €500. It’s rated for up to 80hp.
Hydraulic steering system GF90BT up to 80hp

Has anyone fitted one of these and are they any good?
Old 18 January 2021, 06:39   #2

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
Bought market leader ultraflex brand for less from this guy , super fast service
https://www.marineoutlet.pl/hydrauli...04-p-1150.html just have to work out your engine bracket needs !
Old 18 January 2021, 06:44   #3

Town: Stonehaven
Boat name: Sunday Best
Make: Tornado
Engine: Yammy 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell boy View Post
Bought market leader ultraflex brand for less from this guy , super fast service
https://www.marineoutlet.pl/hydrauli...04-p-1150.html just have to work out your engine bracket needs !
That's a decent price!! I'm tempted with this as well... I need to measure my transom to make sure there's plenty space.... So expensive to buy these kits in the UK.
I always apply maNthematics to my purchases - tell her it cost a chunk less than it did, then tell her I got a chunk more than I really did for the one I sold... The new purchase seldom costs a penny...
SimonCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 08:50   #4

Town: Ireland
Make: Zodiac Open550
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda 75hp EFi
Thanks for the link Orwell Boy. That’s a great price but I’m having trouble finding the straight link arm on its own. I’ll keep looking
Old 18 January 2021, 10:22   #5

So pleased to get a couple of people picking up on this ,i have posted link several times on here and seems like i shouldnt have bothered ,so well pleased to tell (no connection to firm ) ,i personally already had actuator ,but tip is ultraflex is european ,uflex is same for usa ,so you may work more out on uflex website easier ! ,you will pick up a litttle currency charge or paypal i think ,but no worries also sent me two bottles of oil ,other point is all units are tilt only so you have to buy both bits if i remember righty
goodluck l
Old 18 January 2021, 12:08   #6
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donie View Post
The old cable steering system on my rib is badly worn and there is a quarter turn of play in it. The boat is fitted with a 75hp Honda. A new cable system here in Ireland is coming in at around €220-250. One supplier is selling a Mavi Mare hydraulic steering system for around €500. It’s rated for up to 80hp.
Hydraulic steering system GF90BT up to 80hp

Has anyone fitted one of these and are they any good?
I have fitted one on a 30HP (I can't recall if the exact same model) but its same brand and similar price. Fairly simple to install. As always the trick is bleeding it - which is really a two person job.

Its like night and day in terms of feel compared to cable steering (mine was always stiff because the angles/radii it had to turn through were tight). Check it comes with the oil - I think mine was supposed to, didn't and they sent separately when I complained.

Quote:
So pleased to get a couple of people picking up on this ,i have posted link several times on here and seems like i shouldnt have bothered ,so well pleased to tell (no connection to firm ) ,i personally already had actuator ,but tip is ultraflex is european ,uflex is same for usa ,so you may work more out on uflex website easier ! ,you will pick up a litttle currency charge or paypal i think ,but no worries also sent me two bottles of oil ,other point is all units are tilt only so you have to buy both bits if i remember righty
goodluck l
Were your posts that got ignored as coherent as that? Have you ordered from them this year? - I'm hearing people having issues with goods coming from the EU, with suppliers either saying they don't want the hassle, them finding problems getting couriers, or someone I spoke to last week (who must have been in a bubble and unaware we were no longer in a customs union!) being astonished that DHL were at her door and expecting payment for VAT and handling.
Old 18 January 2021, 19:11   #7

Were your posts that got ignored as coherent as that? Have you ordered from them this year? - I'm hearing people having issues with goods coming from the EU, with suppliers either saying they don't want the hassle, them finding problems getting couriers, or someone I spoke to last week (who must have been in a bubble and unaware we were no longer in a customs union!) being astonished that DHL were at her door and expecting payment for VAT and handling.[/QUOTE]

Maybe my coherance is poor ! but my intentions are always to help
with regard to timing ,i have not ordered for 9 months now ,you raise a good point about vat , i am currently awaiting a pair of chiruca walking boots from spain ," will i get the carrier on the doorstep requesting VAT ? " didnt think that one thru !
Old 19 January 2021, 08:35   #8
RIBnet supporter

Town: Cowes
Boat name: Clear Dawn
Make: Cormate
Length: 7m +
Engine: Verado 200
MMSI: 235924981
New Steering

[ATTACH]

I hadn’t thought about that either!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8033.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	136104  
Old 19 January 2021, 08:53   #9

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferryman View Post
[ATTACH]

I hadn’t thought about that either!

Presumably (and I haven’t checked so willing to be corrected) we can now order stuff from commercial sellers in the EU, VAT free. And pay UK VAT when it arrives, so you should only pay VAT once. A bit of a faff, but that’s the way things are, it’ll settle down when people get used to the system.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 13:41   #10
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Presumably (and I haven’t checked so willing to be corrected) we can now order stuff from commercial sellers in the EU, VAT free. And pay UK VAT when it arrives, so you should only pay VAT once. A bit of a faff, but that’s the way things are, it’ll settle down when people get used to the system.
Yes. My understanding (not tested for real is):

Shipment < £135:
- the seller should charge you UK vat, account for that and ship to you (and pay HMRC).
- as you can probably imagine many EU traders who didn't have to worry about this before are finding this a total ball ache and some have decided just to no longer supply to the UK
- in actual fact the EU has been planning a similar rule for sometime for goods coming into the EU (although presumably by sharing the PITA amongst 27 countries its more worth your while setting up the systems/paperwork for the size of the market)

Shipment >£135:
- the seller doesn't charge you VAT, its treated like a traditional export
- the seller still has the extra joy of export paperwork, unless they list an ex-vat and inc-vat price they are under no obligation to sell to you at the ex-vat price.
- your friendly courier will act as customs broker and collect the VAT and charge you something around £8-20 for the privilidge.
Old 21 January 2021, 08:48   #11

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Engine: outboard
I replaced three lots of cable steering on my rib in two years, the issue was the extreme angle the cable needed to turn to run through such a narrow hull. I fixed hydraulic and never looked back, which was an easy job for even me to fit!!!
Old 21 January 2021, 09:11   #12
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Yes. My understanding (not tested for real is):

Shipment >£135:
Oh, and I've just discovered another 'quirk'. If the goods originate outside the EU (e.g. China, USA) then the supplier should be declaring that on the customs paperwork and then you'll get duty added too...
Old 21 January 2021, 09:28   #13

RIBase
Quote:
Oh, and I've just discovered another 'quirk'. If the goods originate outside the EU (e.g. China, USA) then the supplier should be declaring that on the customs paperwork and then you'll get duty added too...

Hasn’t that always been the case though?
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 21 January 2021, 10:00   #14
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Hasn’t that always been the case though?
No a vendor in Poland importing a helm unit from say the USA and then reselling it to someone in the UK didn't have to worry about the country of origin. Import duty was paid when it arrived in EU then it was free to send wherever in EU you wanted. (The manufacturer in the USA would have to deal with it on their export paperwork). There was no customs paperwork to ship an item from Krakow to Crawley, now there is.

Now, a vendor in Poland shipping items to the UK has to declare the tariff code and country of origin for each part they sell. (So possibly helm unit, hydraulic hose, oil, hydraulic ram all separately listed - and maybe different countries of origin too!) and then even though we have tariff free trade with EU under the "deal", my understanding is we will pay import duty on top for items that are from non-zero tariff countries. So tariff free would only apply to product made within EU not stuff passing through the EU on its way here.
Old 21 January 2021, 12:49   #15

RIBase
Quote:
No a vendor in Poland importing a helm unit from say the USA and then reselling it to someone in the UK didn't have to worry about the country of origin. Import duty was paid when it arrived in EU then it was free to send wherever in EU you wanted. (The manufacturer in the USA would have to deal with it on their export paperwork). There was no customs paperwork to ship an item from Krakow to Crawley, now there is.

Now, a vendor in Poland shipping items to the UK has to declare the tariff code and country of origin for each part they sell. (So possibly helm unit, hydraulic hose, oil, hydraulic ram all separately listed - and maybe different countries of origin too!) and then even though we have tariff free trade with EU under the "deal", my understanding is we will pay import duty on top for items that are from non-zero tariff countries. So tariff free would only apply to product made within EU not stuff passing through the EU on its way here.

So we may as well import directly from the USA & save the handling & the profit to Poland?
Old 21 January 2021, 15:13   #16
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
So we may as well import directly from the USA & save the handling & the profit to Poland?
Yes - unless your Polish* distributor is getting bulk discounts or the shipping is much cheaper from the continent than across the pond, the downside of buying from the US - tax/duty roulette now applies to the EU as well... [I'm not sure if any of our consumer protections still apply which, if they do, may make it easier to sort if the there is a problem]

*other European countries also exist.
Old 21 January 2021, 17:11   #17

Well i will stand corrected,i thought it was an italian manufactured product !!
Old 22 January 2021, 14:09   #18
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Well i will stand corrected,i thought it was an italian manufactured product !!
It might be (or bits of it might be) - that's the lottery now though, its an Italian company, but it might not be Made in Italy. I assumed they'd be made in the US because that's where the bigger market is; could just as easy be the far east!
Old 03 February 2021, 20:04   #19

Maybe my coherance is poor ! but my intentions are always to help
with regard to timing ,i have not ordered for 9 months now ,you raise a good point about vat , i am currently awaiting a pair of chiruca walking boots from spain ," will i get the carrier on the doorstep requesting VAT ? " didnt think that one thru ![/QUOTE]

Just to update as really thought i had goofed on the boots from Spain with regard to vat and import duty , but recieved today (where in the £150-£200 bracket ) 15 days later than expected ,had to collect from parcelforce as address was iffy , but no fees whatsoever ,.......was,nt what i was expecting ! anybody know how it now works ?
Old 04 February 2021, 07:41   #20
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Just to update as really thought i had goofed on the boots from Spain with regard to vat and import duty , but recieved today (where in the £150-£200 bracket ) 15 days later than expected ,had to collect from parcelforce as address was iffy , but no fees whatsoever ,.......was,nt what i was expecting ! anybody know how it now works ?
Nobody knows - it all depends!