Old 21 October 2015, 04:21   #1

Town: San Pedro, CA
Boat name: CATSASS
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Engine: 1986 30HP Mariner
MMSI: 338206221
New Avon SR4 Owner from SoCal

Hey everyone. Just wanted to say hi. I just recently bought and started restoring an Avon SR4. So far I've cleaned the tubes with simple green and a kitchen green plastic scouring pad then 303 Aerospace. It looks a lot better but not as nice as the ones I've seen that use Rib Restore or whatever that we can't get here in california. I also cleaned the inside and outside of the hull real well, cleaned up the motor and got it running real good.

I still want to patch a few nicks in the underside of the hull, fill some of the old screw holes from the fuel tank anchors that were removed, install some new ones and then wet sand the hull to shine it up and remove some of the white oxidation from the deck, then wax the outer hull. I'm having trouble finding the tangerine pigment stateside, but new anchors should cover the screw holes anyway. The RIB was beached a few times as it was a search and rescue training RIB, so it would be nice to have the right gel coat color to clean up the nicks.

Once the holes are filled and the water pump impeller replaced this week, I'm going to splash it, hopefully this weekend. Not sure what else I'll do with it. Maybe a reposer, then find a way to mount four scuba tanks in the back of the boat. Gonna put an 18 gallon flexible tank in the front. For now a 6 gallon hard tank will go there.

Old 21 October 2015, 05:23   #2

Before picture:

Old 21 October 2015, 12:55   #3
zip

Town: Pacific Beach
Boat name: Dash II
Make: Willard
Length: 7m +
Engine: Cummins
Welcome aboard Captain. We have quite a few Avon owners here in CA, and a couple in So Cal too. Hopefully they will say hi. Good looking boat. Please keep us posted.
Old 21 October 2015, 13:49   #4

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
The best tube cleaner I've found is this stuff:
Z Tuff Products | Boat Cleaner | RV Cleaner | Household Cleaner

Mix it 60% water/40% cleaner, use their scrub-pad or a Mr Clean Magic Eraser.

The OEM gelcoat color is RAL-2002 Vermillion Orange
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2015, 15:53   #5

Thanks for the welcome zip and the info Richard. My understanding from searching the forum was that Tangerine orange was the color I needed, but if this is it, and it's available in the US, then that's great. Now I just have to figure out how to mix up and apply gelcoat. I'm going to try to at least patch the little screw holes today so I can splash the boat maybe tomorrow, then I can fix the gelcoat once I have the pigment. Gonna spend some time on youtube.

BTW, does anyone know where I would find the lifting points? Are these just spots on the boat where you can drill and install with a secure backing under the deck or?? All I see in the bow are what appear to be fuel tank hold downs. They are circular holes with a white plastic nipple with a slot in them that looked like it would fit a flathead screwdriver. Unfortunately, I immediately cracked one when gently trying to unscrew it. Not sure how those work for fuel hold downs as the previous owner used different hardware.

The previous owner did install what looks like lifting points on the inside of the transom u-bolts and the inside of the bow on the backer of the bow eye bolt. It's actually thick webbing that looks like tow strap for an ATV (maybe 4000# rated) that has been fashioned into a loop and the bolts run through. Looks sturdy and should work for a 3 point bridle, but I would prefer something that won't lead to a disaster on the hoist. The marina I use requires me to have my own bridle and will only lift me from a single point, so I have to make my own that fits the balance point of the RIB with fuel. They are going to allow me to use one of theirs to figure out what lengths I need for proper balance. I'll get pictures today, but main thing is finding the best place and way to mount solid lifting points, and I can't find pictures of said "Avon Lifting Points" anywhere.
Old 21 October 2015, 17:55   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smesh View Post
Thanks for the welcome zip and the info Richard. My understanding from searching the forum was that Tangerine orange was the color I needed, but if this is it, and it's available in the US, then that's great. Now I just have to figure out how to mix up and apply gelcoat. I'm going to try to at least patch the little screw holes today so I can splash the boat maybe tomorrow, then I can fix the gelcoat once I have the pigment. Gonna spend some time on youtube.

BTW, does anyone know where I would find the lifting points? Are these just spots on the boat where you can drill and install with a secure backing under the deck or?? All I see in the bow are what appear to be fuel tank hold downs. They are circular holes with a white plastic nipple with a slot in them that looked like it would fit a flathead screwdriver. Unfortunately, I immediately cracked one when gently trying to unscrew it. Not sure how those work for fuel hold downs as the previous owner used different hardware.

The previous owner did install what looks like lifting points on the inside of the transom u-bolts and the inside of the bow on the backer of the bow eye bolt. It's actually thick webbing that looks like tow strap for an ATV (maybe 4000# rated) that has been fashioned into a loop and the bolts run through. Looks sturdy and should work for a 3 point bridle, but I would prefer something that won't lead to a disaster on the hoist. The marina I use requires me to have my own bridle and will only lift me from a single point, so I have to make my own that fits the balance point of the RIB with fuel. They are going to allow me to use one of theirs to figure out what lengths I need for proper balance. I'll get pictures today, but main thing is finding the best place and way to mount solid lifting points, and I can't find pictures of said "Avon Lifting Points" anywhere.
The RAL-2002 spec is from Zodiac MilPro who now owns Avon and handles the Searider lineup.

Usually they put a double-U at the bow towing eye so it ties the lifting of the bow between the deck and the hull.
Old 21 October 2015, 20:18   #7

Okay. This is what is on the boat now. U bolts in the transom facing away from the boat, and then straps on the inside, I'm assuming this is what he used for lifting:

This is the one on the back of the bow u-bolt:

Old 21 October 2015, 20:26   #8

And these are the fuel tank hold downs I want to fill the holes (I'm assuming I should do that rather than just put new screws in the old holes) and replace. These are the ones in the stern:

And these are the two in the front. I plan to run the main tank in the bow to help keep the nose down:

Any advice on what kind of hardware to run here?

For now I'll be using a 6 gallon tank in the front but am thinking of running a bladder. They are bloody expensive so might just stick with a second 6 gallon tank in the stern. Not sure how fast the old 1985 Mariner 30ML two stroke will burn through fuel, so could use some advice there too.
Old 21 October 2015, 20:55   #9

Quote:
And these are the fuel tank hold downs I want to fill the holes (I'm assuming I should do that rather than just put new screws in the old holes) and replace. These are the ones in the stern:

And these are the two in the front. I plan to run the main tank in the bow to help keep the nose down:

Any advice on what kind of hardware to run here?

For now I'll be using a 6 gallon tank in the front but am thinking of running a bladder. They are bloody expensive so might just stick with a second 6 gallon tank in the stern. Not sure how fast the old 1985 Mariner 30ML two stroke will burn through fuel, so could use some advice there too.
Photos all have broken links.

I feel that bladders are more hassle than they're worth. They leach fuel over time.

I would recommend one of the new Attwood non-permeable 12 gallon tanks. They're inexpensive, environmentally friendly, and they don't leach fuel at all. They do balloon up like crazy though.

Expect about 3 gph.
Old 21 October 2015, 21:02   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by office888 View Post
Usually they put a double-U at the bow towing eye so it ties the lifting of the bow between the deck and the hull.
I cannot for the life of me find anything that looks like it should work while searching "Double U on google. Could you please provide a link to a photo?
Old 21 October 2015, 21:06   #11

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/gp84ux9fz...qunP6Ysz8gIsEa

Here's a link to the dropbox album. Perhaps that will work.
Old 21 October 2015, 21:17   #12

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Are you sure those web loops were designed as lifting points? Can't tell if they're backer plated or not, but it doesn't look like it. Or are they on the inside of the U-bolts?

jky
Old 21 October 2015, 21:25   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
Are you sure those web loops were designed as lifting points? Can't tell if they're backer plated or not, but it doesn't look like it. Or are they on the inside of the U-bolts?

jky
No I'm not sure if they were for that. It's a guess. Sent a text to the original owner but he hasn't responded. The webbing is sandwiched between the hull and a backing plate with what I'm guessing is 5200 (the white stuff).

It looks as though holes were burnt into the webbing to allow it to slip over the bolts and they were doubled over before the 5200 and backer plate was installed. But in the bow, the bottom of the strap that goes all the weight looks like it tore enough to slip over the backing plate and nut.
Old 22 October 2015, 00:34   #14

This is all I found that looked like a double U-Bolt, but is clearly not what I need. The site refers to it as a "M" bolt.

I can envision what it would look like with a U on either side of the hull, but I can't figure out how that would bolt on. I have seen double sided eye bolts:

Is that what is meant? But that would only use one bolt and would see like a lot of pressure applied to a small surface area.
Old 22 October 2015, 04:17   #15

Town: Cali
Boat name: Thumper
Make: Avon CRRC 4.5
Engine: Merc 50
Nice boat mate, welcome.

Cheers
Old 22 October 2015, 12:53   #16

Quote:
This is all I found that looked like a double U-Bolt, but is clearly not what I need. The site refers to it as a "M" bolt.

I can envision what it would look like with a U on either side of the hull, but I can't figure out how that would bolt on. I have seen double sided eye bolts:

Is that what is meant? But that would only use one bolt and would see like a lot of pressure applied to a small surface area.
Lifting Assemblies

This is what I was talking about...however, it will not work for your application.

I would ensure the bow eye is bedded well, and I would use one of these :
http://www.amazon.com/Uxcell-a120628...emale+eye+bolt
Old 22 October 2015, 16:55   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by office888 View Post
I'm concerned that if I install one of those over the top bolt of my existing u-bolt that it will put too much stress on the single bolt. I think I will just replace the webbing that is there now with fresh webbing and give it a try until I come up with an alternative. I'm still at a loss for what these are for and how they work, since they seem to be the mysterious lift points Avon refers to but no one really explains or provides pictures for their use.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w139fn2gwa...81%29.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/456tcvq2pc...81%29.jpg?dl=0

Tags
avon